"Official Double Dip Thread" 8/30/05

Brian

• Replies 954
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 30, 2005 -> 08:35 PM)
I think what's impressed me most is his presence.  He doesn't look like a skinny kid who's one pitch away from giving up a 450 foot homer today.  Instead, he's been in and out, and up and down, with his pitches, and he's been able to get away with some high change-ups by throwing them in the right counts.

yeah, i hope ozzie lets him go til he gets touched up for a run, If he does. only 80 some pitches thru 7 so he should be good to go

I know, I was absolutely joking.  A man can dream though, can't he?

His numbers aren't that much better than Paul's surprisingly, and thats in a much, much better lineup in a better hitter's park.

QUOTE(the southside tiger @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 02:35 AM)
No, thats like cheating. Whats the fun in rooting for a team thats just going to buy whatever it needs? I like rooting for the Sox. Homegrown players, some trades and a few FAs. Jeter, Williams and Rivera are the only Yankees to be with the Yanks before stardom. For the Sox, ARow, PK, Crede, Thomas, Buehrle, Garland, Jenks, McCarthy, Marte and Cotts all came to prominence with us. Some of them were with other organizations, but they never did anything before coming here. We had to take risks on them. The Yanks never do that.

Yankees don't do that, but I've heard some people complain that this year's Sox team is just a collection of free agents and traded players. As ridiculous as that is, it's the type of attitude that a lot of people have when it comes to baseballl.

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 02:36 AM)
His numbers aren't that much better than Paul's surprisingly, and thats in a much, much better lineup in a better hitter's park.

Great defensive player, switch hitter, tremendous attitude, and just about to reach his peak. He's also from Ga Tech, so that's a big bonus for me.

QUOTE(the southside tiger @ Aug 30, 2005 -> 08:35 PM)
No, thats like cheating. Whats the fun in rooting for a team thats just going to buy whatever it needs? I like rooting for the Sox. Homegrown players, some trades and a few FAs. Jeter, Williams and Rivera are the only Yankees to be with the Yanks before stardom. For the Sox, ARow, PK, Crede, Thomas, Buehrle, Garland, Jenks, McCarthy, Marte and Cotts all came to prominence with us. Some of them were with other organizations, but they never did anything before coming here. We had to take risks on them. The Yanks never do that.

If you want to get technical, we traded for Garland and claimed Jenks from the Angels. Also, Cotts came in the trade for Koch.

--Oh and Marte came in through a trade too.--

Edited by Sox Hustler

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 02:37 AM)
Absolutely f***ing solid start for McCarthy.  He ate up the innings and held them scoreless.  That is HUGE.

Jenks should come in for the 8th, and Marte for the 9th. Might as well take McCarthy out now, and let him keep his confidence where it is now.

I know, I was absolutely joking.  A man can dream though, can't he?

actually fathom i knwo that they were floating the idea of trading teixeira around a little bit if they cant sign him long term, especially because they have adrian gonzalez behind him. it would probably cost more pitching, specifically bmac, but tehy could if they offered up young gio and more pitching

QUOTE(daa84 @ Aug 30, 2005 -> 10:36 PM)
yeah, i hope ozzie lets him go til he gets touched up for a run, If he does. only 80 some pitches thru 7 so he should be good to go

MLB.com has him at 101 pitches through 7. Apparently no-one is warming though.

Edited by ottawa_sox

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 30, 2005 -> 08:37 PM)
Great defensive player, switch hitter, tremendous attitude, and just about to reach his peak.  He's also from Ga Tech, so that's a big bonus for me.

Ga Tech sucks too. :P

I've got to say that as an ACC alum though.

QUOTE(daa84 @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 02:38 AM)
actually fathom i knwo that they were floating the idea of trading teixeira around a little bit if they cant sign him long term, especially because they have adrian gonzalez behind him. it would probably cost more pitching, specifically bmac, but tehy could if they offered up young gio and more pitching

Yeah, I remember hearing those rumors. I highly doubt the Rangers will let another star go though. Soriano is much more likely to be dealt.

Could have fooled me vs. Miguel Tejada, he went right at him.  It was an epic duel.

He is 25 going on 26 and still needs to learn more about how to adjust to hitters.  This year has been a big step forward for him.

One moment of bravery and courage? Is that all you can muster? Watch Pedro pitch. He attacks everyone. He would go right after Pujols, Vlad or any of these other superstars. Garland would be a coward going up against them. The greats never back down. Garland does.

QUOTE(ottawa_sox @ Aug 30, 2005 -> 08:39 PM)
MLB.com has him at 101 pitches through 7.  Apparently no-one is warming though.

ok yeah yahoo didnt add em up til the inning was over......im wrong again :banghead

QUOTE(Sox Hustler @ Aug 30, 2005 -> 09:37 PM)
If you want to get technical, we traded for Garland and claimed Jenks from the Angels. Also, Cotts came in the trade for Koch.

as did Konerko

Try reading the third to last and second to last sentences. I deal specifically with that. They didnt do anything with other teams! We gambled on them. That was my point.

QUOTE(the southside tiger @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 02:40 AM)
One moment of bravery and courage? Is that all you can muster? Watch Pedro pitch. He attacks everyone. He would go right after Pujols, Vlad or any of these other superstars. Garland would be a coward going up against them. The greats never back down. Garland does.

When we're paying Garland $10 million bucks and he's not producing like Pedro, then you can b****.

Until then, how about you stop posting and learn a little?

You've already called Paul Konerko overrated, and called for -- wait, let me try and say this without laughing -- Sean Casey to replace him.

I also suggest you read the thread about personal attacks on players. Calling someone a 'coward' and a guy 'without balls' is borderline attacking...

QUOTE(the southside tiger @ Aug 30, 2005 -> 08:42 PM)
Try reading the third to last and second to last sentences. I deal specifically with that. They didnt do anything with other teams! We gambled on them. That was my point.

The Yankees gambled with Johnson giving him a 2 year huge extension. He's on their payroll until he's at least 44. Pavano was a $50 million or so gamble. Its kind of fun to have a team like the Yankees around. Its a lot more satisfying beating them than the Royals.