Podsednik most overrated player?????

atrain081

Please, please don't stick up for guys just because they are on the White Sox. That makes us Sox fans seem like unintelligent baseball fans. Look at the stats. Scotty is around the 10th best left fielder in the AL. He made the All-Star team because of the White Sox early season success, not his stats. He is overrated and you have no stats or facts to back up the fact that he isn't. I like Scotty, but when you break it down, the stats DO speak for themself.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He doesnt know what overrated is. Overrated is not a bad player, just a player who is thought more highly of than he should be. For that reason, Greinke is not overrated. Greinke just sucks. In fact, hes probably underrated. He didnt really start sucking until it became quite apparent that his offense was never going to help him out (Todd Ritchie Syndrome). Hes a better player than people normally think. So Scotties underrated in that aspect as well. He doesnt get the respect that he deserves. No one notices Scott. He got left off a recent list of the fastest major league players, which just goes to show how little attention he gets. And if Ichiros name is on a list of overrated players because he lacks power, then the list should just be automatically disqualified. Thats the most ridiculously stupid thing Ive ever seen. This guy has no understanding of the game at all. His dream team would have been something like the 2001-2004 Sox. And where did those teams go? Nowhere!

QUOTE(the southside tiger @ Aug 30, 2005 -> 05:38 PM)
He doesnt know what overrated is. Overrated is not a bad player, just a player who is thought more highly of than he should be. For that reason, Greinke is not overrated. Greinke just sucks. In fact, hes probably underrated. He didnt really start sucking until it became quite apparent that his offense was never going to help him out (Todd Ritchie Syndrome). Hes a better player than people normally think. So Scotties underrated in that aspect as well. He doesnt get the respect that he deserves. No one notices Scott. He got left off a recent list of the fastest major league players, which just goes to show how little attention he gets. And if Ichiros name is on a list of overrated players because he lacks power, then the list should just be automatically disqualified. Thats the most ridiculously stupid thing Ive ever seen. This guy has no understanding of the game at all. His dream team would have been something like the 2001-2004 Sox. And where did those teams go? Nowhere!

Podsednik did get some recognition though. He made the All-Star team. That is a lot of recognition. I was very happy for him, but in all honesty, Jeter had far superior numbers and probably should have gone over Podsednik. I do think Pods is overrated. But I do disagree with some other people on his list.

I've been saying he is overated in the outfield for a long time. He get the worst jump on the ball. I dont like the fact that he is last in triples either.

What I do like is the way he was slapping the ball to left field,and how he sees a lot of pitches. I think that he is still learning,we will have to wait and see!

Well, you could put Tadahito Iguchi at #2 on the list then. Especially around here.

Those two have been nothing more than average at the top of the order, yet you're not allowed to say a bad word about either one of them around here.

You cant criticize the great Jon Garland either.

Pods got a hit for Iguchi tonight by running. He also stole his 55th base and scored some runs. He has a HUGE impact on the White Sox offense, and anyone who can't look past home run, RBI, and SLG% totals to see the impact of a leadoff hitter with good speed is just plain dumb.

Just to throw it out there

Not sure if this is due to the Sox playing in an unbelievable hitter's park, facing a garbage rotation, or if is just a coincidence that Pods returning and the runs scoring occurred at the same time, but anyways...

The Sox have scored 19 runs the past 3 games. They scored 27 their previous 10.

Could be a combo of all 3, may have nothing to do with Podsednik, may have nothing to do with Texas, may have nothing to do with their garbage rotation. I'm just saying

The media and fans talk about Pods being the team's MVP. Well, by those standards, yes he is overrated. Even Guillen implied that too much credit is being given to Pods...stating that the team wasn't scoring runs even with him in the line-up. As simply a solid table setter and a disrupter to the opposition, then he is not overrated. As a leadoff hitter with speed, let's see a better OBP and BA. I know not everything shows up in stats but if you hit .280, steal 70 bases (and are caught stealing nearly 20 times), have 30 RBIs and score 80 runs, then you are a good lead-off hitter with speed...not MVP. However, he should not be first on that list.

Let's face it, the pitching has been our MVP and we have been in a funk lately because our pitching has come back down to earth so that our 2 and 3 runs scored have not been enough to win. The closest thing we have to a position player that is MVP is Aaron Rowand (below his "normal" year, maybe) hitting and Gold Glove defense. Jermaine Dye is close with the better power numbers.

So this guy judges a player cause he doesn't hit home runs? What a baffon. Yeah Hank Blaylock is over rated, Yeah the Best Defensive 3rd baseman in the game is overrated, Yeah and Grienke he's soo overrated he's 22 and in the Bigs pitching for a sucky Royals team, Oh yeah Ichiro too, Cause he doesn't hit for power or Walk, Who in the hell needs to walk when you never K and hit an average of 220 hits per season.

Overrated Yeah Dayn Perry as a Baseball writer, what a moron. :bang

QUOTE(heirdog @ Aug 30, 2005 -> 11:10 PM)
Let's face it, the pitching has been our MVP and we have been in a funk lately because our pitching has come back down to earth so that our 2 and 3 runs scored have not been enough to win. 

3 ER in 32.1 IP(I believe was the stat) should win you 4 games(unless you got shutdown in a game where a pitcher gave up 3 ER...that is about the only exception).

It won us 4 games, and one of those games just so happened to go into extra innings.

In August, when the team pitched well, they didn't score, and when they scored, they didn't pitch well. Pretty much clockwork all throughout August. That was not the way it was earlier in the year.

QUOTE(bighurt4444 @ Aug 30, 2005 -> 07:10 PM)
Let's look at the stats.  These stats are rankings for left fielders in the AL.  Scott is last in homers, 7th in runs scored, 9th in batting average, last in slugging percentage, last in triples, 17th in the RBI (which means there are backup left fielders with more RBI's).  So now you tell me if those stats deserve to be an All Star?  No they don't.  Is Scotty overrated, yes.  He does steal a lot of bases, but that means nothing if you don't score.  I would take 7 other left fielders in the AL before Scotty.  Ramirez, Matsui, Anderson, Crawford, Mench, Crisp, and Stewart.  If you are looking for offense, Scotty is not the man.  Sorry, but the facts back it up.  Podsednik is overrated.

Do you realize that corner outfielder is usually a power position? It's just because we already had Rowand that Pods is in left. When you compare him to freaking Ramirez, Matsui, etc obviously he's going to be lower in slugging percentage and homers; who gives a s***. You are comparing a prototype centerfielder to a bunch of left fielders.

Did you not notice that as soon as he got hurt we went on a huge losing streak? Do you understand baseball at all?

Maybe it's just me, but it sounds like someone in yankee nation is still pissed that little derek got left off the all-star roster...bumped by the second city speedster with a name too hard to pronounce...by the "fans" no less!! :crying

Usually I don't like to laugh at people crying. But in this case I'm making an exception. :P

It's about time someone said it/noticed it, to quote you, "Did you not notice that as soon as he got hurt we went on a huge losing streak?" I sure as hell noticed it.

Is Scott Podsednik as good as many say he is...no, but with the makeup of this team, yes...he is. With him, this team is good, without him, there is NO pressure put on opposing pitchers and defenses, and it seems when he's around, suddenly everyone else is a little less afraid to steal/run, stretch out a single into a double, etc.

Whatever the case may be, mentally, physically, doesn't matter...this team is better with the "over-rated" Podsednik than without.

And as for what people are saying about him being low ranked in runs scored...how is that his fault?! He as only 10 more runs scored than stolen bases, and has been stranded on base FAR more than he should be. So yes, let's blame Podsednik that nobody brings him in...maybe he should just start stealing home every time he gets to 3rd base, perhaps then he'd have more runs scored.

-y2

QUOTE(Spiff @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 12:32 AM)
Do you realize that corner outfielder is usually a power position?  It's just because we already had Rowand that Pods is in left.  When you compare him to freaking Ramirez, Matsui, etc obviously he's going to be lower in slugging percentage and homers; who gives a s***.  You are comparing a prototype centerfielder to a bunch of left fielders.

Did you not notice that as soon as he got hurt we went on a huge losing streak?  Do you understand baseball at all?

QUOTE(bighurt4444 @ Aug 30, 2005 -> 06:10 PM)
Let's look at the stats.  These stats are rankings for left fielders in the AL.  Scott is last in homers, 7th in runs scored, 9th in batting average, last in slugging percentage, last in triples, 17th in the RBI (which means there are backup left fielders with more RBI's).  So now you tell me if those stats deserve to be an All Star?  No they don't.  Is Scotty overrated, yes.  He does steal a lot of bases, but that means nothing if you don't score.  I would take 7 other left fielders in the AL before Scotty.  Ramirez, Matsui, Anderson, Crawford, Mench, Crisp, and Stewart.  If you are looking for offense, Scotty is not the man.  Sorry, but the facts back it up.  Podsednik is overrated.

Im going to disagree with you on that. And heres why:

You cant compare Scotty with other LF'ers. Because that really has nothing to do with the debate and the player that he is. His role on this team is the lead off hitter, and you are comparing him to power hitters who play corner OF positions. You need to compare his stats to other lead-off hitters. That is a much more accurrate comparison. Compare his rankings on stats to the other lead off hitters in the league. Then you can assure an accurate comparison. And I will tell you what, there are a TON of teams that would like Scotty PODS leading off for them.