Our lead is down to 6.5 games.

Ishmookie

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Greg Hibbard @ Aug 30, 2005 -> 04:53 PM)
I'm not really worried about an improbable Indians comeback. The best the tribe can really go is 21-9 down the stretch and even with today's loss the Sox just have to go 15-18 to tie.

That's a pretty scary proposition, tying. :o

The sox are finding ways to lose. What's with the defense??

Split this series in Texas and it's a successful road trip. 2 of 3 from Minny, 2 of 3 from Mariner, 2-4 from the Rangers.

6-4 road trip. I'll take it at this point, a step in the right direction.

The ONLY positive about our horrid play is the fact that we had such a huge lead to begin with. If we were only six or seven games up when our chemistry somehow faltered we would be in a huge funk and we would additionally be six or seven games back.

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Aug 30, 2005 -> 06:59 PM)
That's a pretty scary proposition, tying.  :o

The sox are finding ways to lose. What's with the defense??

Split this series in Texas and it's a successful road trip. 2 of 3 from Minny, 2 of 3 from Mariner, 2-4 from the Rangers.

6-4 road trip. I'll take it at this point, a step in the right direction.

In order to split we'd have to get a win out of McCarthy tonight and then another win tomorrow.

This McCarthy outing could get ugly. I'm not getting my hopes up for a split.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 30, 2005 -> 07:03 PM)
Wow, I'm sure I've heard that somewhere else? :P There's nothing that annoys me more than statements like "all the sox have to do is play .500...etc."

^^^^^

They have to win. Plain and simple. Would you want a player on your team to think that way?

QUOTE(Greg Hibbard @ Aug 30, 2005 -> 06:53 PM)
I'm not really worried about an improbable Indians comeback. The best the tribe can really go is 21-9 down the stretch and even with today's loss the Sox just have to go 15-18 to tie.

Well we're putting that to the test with our 11-15 August. We might not be able to go 15-18.

QUOTE(Greg Hibbard @ Aug 30, 2005 -> 05:53 PM)

I fear the Sox may not even be able to go 15-18.

That's the definition of choking.

Why do you think the team is choking?

It's not like this lineup is the 27 Yankees and it's not like our pitching is that great.

We are what we are.

We probably overachieved some early. If the Indians keep winning all but one game a week the rest of the way we probably will blow the division lead. If they play normal ball we won't.

I do not think we're choking.

We're beat up; Garland is slumping, i wouldn't say choking; Mark is not dominating and many of our hitters had sucked of late prior to the DH.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 30, 2005 -> 06:53 PM)
That's the definition of choking.

So does almost every single baseball team choke every year? :huh:

It's been a bad stretch. It happens. It's not called choking.

Yeah, they've been playing some horrible baseball for a couple of months now, but the lead is still there, and their have been a couple of bright spots along the way like tonight to continue to give us hope.

Call it a choke if we lose the lead and miss the playoffs. Until then, I just don't see how it can already be called choking...

Edited by SleepyWhiteSox

The Indians are probably worthy of a thread. I'd love for some of the people I really respect on here to compare our teams and tell me what's up with the Tribe.

Is this a powerhouse squad that slumped early and now is gonna storm to the World Series title via either the division crown or wildcard?

Or is this team a hot team that will falter soon?

Are these guys the new Twins, set to dominate for years to come?

Thanx.

QUOTE(greg775 @ Aug 30, 2005 -> 10:58 PM)
The Indians are probably worthy of a thread. I'd love for some of the people I really respect on here to compare our teams and tell me what's up with the Tribe.

Is this a powerhouse squad that slumped early and now is gonna storm to the World Series title via either the division crown or wildcard?

Or is this team a hot team that will falter soon?

Are these guys the new Twins, set to dominate for years to come?

Thanx.

They don't have the same formula as the Twins. The Twins had great starting pitching, a great bullpen and an offense that came up with timely hits. The Indians have an above average mashing offense, a bullpen that is currently ranked number 1 in the league and average to slightly above average starting pitching.

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Aug 30, 2005 -> 10:54 PM)
So does almost every single baseball team choke every year?    :huh:

It's been a bad stretch.  It happens.  It's not called choking.

Yeah, they've been playing some horrible baseball for a couple of months now, but the lead is still there, and their have been a couple of bright spots along the way like tonight to continue to give us hope.

Call it a choke if we lose the lead and miss the playoffs.  Until then, I just don't see how it can already be called choking...

Thank you.

I mean, it's not like the Yankees started off the year 11-20 or anything like that.

You can't stress enough how important it is to play well down the stretch for a team to go far into the playoffs.

July 31st last season when the Red Sox were playing about as poor as poor gets, and Nomar had just been traded, I made a post on another board stating "This team will not win the World Series."

A Bill Mueller home run, sparks fly, and the Red Sox finished the season playing the best in baseball and that ride continued throughout the playoffs.

Sure, the Yankees might have been all over the place, but there getting there act together when it matters most, and most likely will make the playoffs.