Our lead is down to 6.5 games.

Ishmookie

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Whitesoxfan56 @ Aug 30, 2005 -> 10:39 PM)
um yea this tread should be deleted since they have a 7 game lead not a 6.5 game lead...get your facts right b4 u make a new tread buddy

It was right at the time. After the loss of game 1 it was down to 6.5. And very good post r&w, a team can get hot the last few weeks of a season and have that carry them through. If we can get Dye or Aaron hot the last month and continue to have them hit the ball hard going into the playoffs then the offense all the sudden won't look so bad.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Aug 30, 2005 -> 11:41 PM)
It was right at the time.  After the loss of game 1 it was down to 6.5.  And very good post r&w, a team can get hot the last few weeks of a season and have that carry them through.  If we can get Dye or Aaron hot the last month and continue to have them hit the ball hard going into the playoffs then the offense all the sudden won't look so bad.

Actually, from what I saw tonight, all it'll take is Pods getting hot, getting on base often, and wreaking havoc on the basepaths. He created quite a few things for the offense today.

QUOTE(Dam8610 @ Aug 30, 2005 -> 10:48 PM)
Actually, from what I saw tonight, all it'll take is Pods getting hot, getting on base often, and wreaking havoc on the basepaths. He created quite a few things for the offense today.

Also a good point. I just used dye and aaron as examples because there have been points this season where they have carried the offense for stretches(especially dye). Having pods back is absolutely huge though, the game just changes when he's on base.

QUOTE(Whitesoxfan56 @ Aug 30, 2005 -> 11:39 PM)
um yea this tread should be deleted since they have a 7 game lead not a 6.5 game lead...get your facts right b4 u make a new tread buddy

Stick to the post and not the poster, or else you'll be taking sometime off of posting here. I suggest you read the thread on personal attacks.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 06:02 AM)
Thing I saw that stood out to me last night was that Ozuna steal last night, the delayed steal. We did that sort of bulls*** the WHOLE first half, and it worked. They need to get back to what Oz says, doing the fun stuff, taking chances, just seeing what works. It just has looked like they are trying to accomplish TOO much at times.

Burn baby Burn

:bringit

QUOTE(Whitesoxfan56 @ Aug 30, 2005 -> 11:39 PM)

When he started the thread we were only 6.5 up.

And should that be thread...? :lol:

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 30, 2005 -> 06:53 PM)
That's the definition of choking.

don't you actually have to lose to have choked? if a team is favored in a 7 game series, wins the first 3, loses 2, then wins the next and wins the series 4-2, is that considered a choke? no, so neither is losing half of the lead in the division when the other team is surging and one team is struggling, playing mostly without Pods, and before he was on the DL, he was hurt.

Edited by AirScott

QUOTE(AirScott @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 04:17 PM)
don't you actually have to lose to have choked?  if a team is favored in a 7 game series, wins the first 3, loses 2, then wins the next and wins the series 4-2, is that considered a choke?  no, so neither is losing half of the lead in the division when the other team is surging and one team is struggling, playing mostly without Pods, and before he was on the DL, he was hurt.

I said they're choking...not that they choked. I was going to say they're collapsing, but with all the struggles going on with the hurricane, I thought I'd use a different word.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 11:22 AM)
I said they're choking...not that they choked.  I was going to say they're collapsing, but with all the struggles going on with the hurricane, I thought I'd use a different word.

They aren't choking.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 11:22 AM)
I said they're choking...not that they choked.  I was going to say they're collapsing, but with all the struggles going on with the hurricane, I thought I'd use a different word.

I wouldn't even call it choking, they're still 6-4 in their last 10, playing without the player who pretty much goes where the offense goes. this isn't a good hitting ballclub, and they all hit better when Pods is on base and the pitcher has to worry about him. now Pods is back, so things should go back to how they were.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 04:23 PM)
They aren't choking.

Would fading be a better term? Any team that loses about 7 games from their divisional lead in one month will get classified as choking in baseball. The good news is that there's still plenty of time left to regroup and play better baseball. The bad news it that there's still plenty of time left to lose more games from our lead. This isn't even me being pessimist....just a realist (I think!).

I think this is a team built for cold weather. Which favors us in October, obviously. They are a slap hit, steal second, single in a run team. Which is perfect for the teams we may be playing against in the playoffs (except for Oakland). If they can get back to smart ball or whatever it's called these days, I can't see the Sox slumping anymore.

C'mon mother nature.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 11:35 AM)
Would fading be a better term?  Any team that loses about 7 games from their divisional lead in one month will get classified as choking in baseball.  The good news is that there's still plenty of time left to regroup and play better baseball.  The bad news it that there's still plenty of time left to lose more games from our lead.  This isn't even me being pessimist....just a realist (I think!).

That 7 game losing streak was something we all knew was going to happen. It happens to just about every team during the course of a season. That was our 'bump in the road'. Since it ended we are playing .600 ball. The slump is over. We aren't choking.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 04:38 PM)
That 7 game losing streak was something we all knew was going to happen.  It happens to just about every team during the course of a season.  That was our 'bump in the road'.  Since it ended we are playing .600 ball. The slump is over.  We aren't choking.

Didn't we just play 3 of our worst games all season before the 2nd game of the DH last night? It's good that we've won like 6 of our last 10 games....but there's still a lot to be concerned about with how we're playing. We need to start hitting at home again. It's great we're hitting against the Rangers, but we're going to have to consistently score at the Cell during this long home stretch.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 11:35 AM)
Would fading be a better term?  Any team that loses about 7 games from their divisional lead in one month will get classified as choking in baseball.  The good news is that there's still plenty of time left to regroup and play better baseball.  The bad news it that there's still plenty of time left to lose more games from our lead.  This isn't even me being pessimist....just a realist (I think!).

I knew once Pods was DLed that this would be a rough 2 weeks. and it was. he's really the most important player on the team. so maybe the best term would be "looking-like-they-might-fade-if-they-don't-turn-it-around-soon". and losing 7 games of a lead in a month would be choking if that lead was normal, 9 or 10. but it was 15.

and I'd say you're more leaning towards being a pessimist. right on the fence of pessimist and realist.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 11:38 AM)
That 7 game losing streak was something we all knew was going to happen.  It happens to just about every team during the course of a season.  That was our 'bump in the road'.  Since it ended we are playing .600 ball. The slump is over.  We aren't choking.

When all 7 come against good, or playoff-caliber teams, i call that more than a random slump we knew would happen.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 12:10 PM)
When all 7 come against good, or playoff-caliber teams, i call that more than a random slump we knew would happen.

like I've said, we didn't have Podsednik in those games. he comes back, goes 0-5 and we lose, then goes 3-5 and we win, and currently is not playing and we're losing. it's more of an unfortunate time to play those playoff-caliber teams.

Edited by AirScott

QUOTE(AirScott @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 08:08 PM)
like I've said, we didn't have Podsednik in those games.  he comes back, goes 0-5 and we lose, then goes 3-5 and we win, and currently is not playing and we're losing.  it's more of an unfortunate time to play those playoff-caliber teams.

This Rangers team we're about to lose 3 out of 4 to had just pathetic starting pitching. There's no excuses for losing 3 out of 4 to them.