The White Sox Are DONE

spiderman

I thin it's becoming obvios that the White Sox played over their heads in the first half of the season.

In the 2nd half, I think a couple points have been solidified, and I'd like to see what White Sox fans here think:

1) I know the price tag is high, and other teams haven't made significant moves, but Kenny Williams needs to do something to upgrade this lineup - even if just gives Ozzie Guillen another bat off the bench, anything! I realize Dmitri Young (or someone similar to him) isn't going to carry a ballclub, but he could be a contributor - right now, playing non-hitters like Geoff Blum, Juan Uribe, Timo Perez, Joe Crede, etc. from basically 6-9, 7-9 in the lineup regularly puts a lot of pressure on the top 6 hitters to do score most/all of the runs, and those guys aren't the type of players capable of doing that.

2) As we stand, the offense is pathetic. They do not have a #3 hitter in the lineup, and most of the hitters are #6 or #7 hitters (Dye, Everett, Rowand, Pierzyinski) in a good lineup. They don't usually put up more than a few runs in a game, putting tremendous pressure on the pitching staff to overcome the lack of run production.

3) Mark Buerhle is not an ace - he is a good pitcher, but no more than #2 on a pitching staff.

4) Jon Garland is pitching how he did last season in the 2nd half. Not consistent at all.

5) Freddy Garcia is the same pitcher he's been over his career - he seems to rise up/down according to his competition.

6) The White Sox need to make a decision about their closer - Hermanson should have the job, but he obviously isn't healthy. The bullpen has pitched well, but down the stretch I think you have to either go with him, or DL him and hope the team makes the playoffs and gets him back healthier OR go with Bobby Jenks down the stretch.

7) With all that, the problem isn't the pitching - yes, it has been uneven, but it can't be expected to win every game 3-2, 4-3. It has not been very often that the White Sox have won comfortably.

- I'm not even sure the White Sox make the playoffs anymore. Sure, they still have a 6.5 game lead, and things could be even worse, but this team doesn't have an ace, is getting up and down performances for Garland, and has a closer who's injured, and haven't been depending on as much. The hitting is just not getting the job done, end of story. If they do make the playoffs, I see a first round, playoff exit.

-- Feel free to offer your thoughts/commentary vs. my points, and let me add two more points - I don't think I'm overreacting - this has been going now for about 50 games, and, lastly, I'm a big White Sox fan, and watching this fall apart is really disappointing.

Looking forward to good discussion.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All points you listed are valid.

Although many are worried about our dwindling lead in this division, suggesting they're done will only lead people to immediately discredit your opinion. Some can't accept the possibility this team may be a part of the largest regular season choke in MLB history. Or even that this team's offense is poorly assembled and would be lucky to escape the 1st round of the playoffs. Pitching can only bring us so far.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Aug 30, 2005 -> 07:15 PM)
All points you listed are valid.

Although I'm still worried about our dwindling lead in this division, suggesting they're done will only lead people to immediately discredit your opinion. Some can't accept the possibility this team may be a part of the largest regular season choke in MLB history. Or even that this team's offense is poorly assembled and would be lucky to escape the 1st round of the playoffs.

By done, I mean that while they should still win the division (and even that is starting to look a little murky), they just don't have the team that's going to get past the Yankees/Red Sox/Angels/A's in Round 1.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Aug 30, 2005 -> 07:19 PM)
How long before someone calls this guy an asshole and tells him he isn't a fan?

Everyone knows my stance on this, no point in saying it again.

I take it that you agree that not everything is perfect right now in White Sox land.

The offense has been the weak link to this team since game one. Despite having outstanding pitching, both starting and relief, the first half how many games did we have to win by one or two runs? Plus the defense was outstanding.

These guys just aren't goning to hit. If we're going to close out this year strong it's going to be on the backs of the pitching and defense.

it's true. the sox havent played as well as they should be playing right now. but i still have faith that they will make it to the playoffs, and i also have faith, even with how they've been playing recently, that they wont make a first round playoff exit. sooner or later it's gonna get knocked in their heads that they need to stop thinking about what people are saying about them and start having fun like they were before the all star break. once they start doing that again, i'm sure that they'll be playing like they use to. plus every team has their ups and downs, no matter what.

QUOTE(marsh @ Aug 30, 2005 -> 07:22 PM)
The offense has been the weak link to this team since game one. Despite having outstanding pitching, both starting and relief, the first half how many games did we have to win by one or two runs? Plus the defense was outstanding.

These guys just aren't goning to hit. If we're going to close out this year strong it's going to be on the backs of the pitching and defense.

I think when Thomas was in the lineup, his presense took the pressure off of others, and moved everyone down in the lineup...Sure, Thomas wasn't hitting for average, but his home runs were a big contribution.

I do think you're exactly right - we're going to have to win games without the benefit of much hitting.

QUOTE(WhiteSoxLova6 @ Aug 30, 2005 -> 07:31 PM)
it's true. the sox havent played as well as they should be playing right now. but i still have faith that they will make it to the playoffs, and i also have faith, even with how they've been playing recently, that they wont make a first round playoff exit. sooner or later it's gonna get knocked in their heads that they need to stop thinking about what people are saying about them and start having fun like they were before the all star break. once they start doing that again, i'm sure that they'll be playing like they use to. plus every team has their ups and downs, no matter what.

I sure hope you're right, and maybe in September they can turn it back on - but at what point do we say they're basically a .500 type team that played an unbelieveable first half ?

QUOTE(letsgoarow @ Aug 30, 2005 -> 07:51 PM)
buehrle is 14-7 with the 2nd lowest era in the american league.... id say he is a fifth starter at best

Nobody is saying that Burehle stinks - did you read that somewhere in this thread ?

As I said, he's a good #2 starter, but do you honestly rank him as a true #1 starter ?

Edited by spiderman

I'd say we've just been playing like absolute s*** for the last two weeks. We built up the lead so nicely when we were playing well that we still got a nice cushion after playing like complete s*** for the last two weeks. You don't call a team dead when they've been damn good all season minus a few weeks. Is the offense bad right now...hell yeah it is but they'll hit better I'll guarantee that. The thing is every team goes through ups and downs, right now we're playing awful but we'll get out of it and soon.