Hurt not ruling out October

White Sox Josh

This sounds pretty promising. I saw a podiatrist a couple days ago to get a callis removed and i asked him about the Big Hurt situation and he said that their is a protective boot out their that would allow him to play and their would be a good chance that he wouldn't get injured any further. He did say though that he would probably need surgery at the end of the year.

Link

Thomas not ruling out an October return

08/30/2005 9:10 PM ET

By Scott Merkin / MLB.com

ARLINGTON -- The scenario plays out as the ultimate dream lurking in the minds of every White Sox fan across the country.

It's Game 1 of the World Series, and the White Sox trail by one run in the bottom of the ninth inning. With a runner on second base and two outs, up steps Frank Thomas, a surprise pinch-hitter after his season appeared to be done as recently as July 22.

Thomas works the count to his advantage, as he did on countless previous occasions during the past 16 years, before launching a long drive over the left-field fence. The White Sox win the opener, on their way to the franchise's first World Series title since 1917, and Thomas is the well-deserved hero.

When Thomas was first diagnosed with a new fracture in the navicular bone of his left ankle and placed on the 15-day disabled list, this scenario seemed nothing more than a far removed fantasy. But making his first appearance with the team since the new injury, Thomas told reporters in the White Sox clubhouse Tuesday that his return in 2005 is not totally out of the question.

"I'm not going to get everybody excited about it because I really don't know," said Thomas of his possible return. "But you just never know. We have six to eight weeks before all that stuff happens. Who knows three weeks from now what I'll feel like.

"I haven't eliminated anything, because it's a fracture. We didn't think it would heal, and it looks like it's healing a little. I tell you what, I wish. I'm not going to say never, but I want to be as healthy as possible."

The 37-year-old designated hitter, wearing a large boot-like cast and a bone stimulator over his left ankle, described his latest injury in detail. Thomas explained how the new fracture happened three inches over from the original problem and caused the screws, which were put in during offseason surgery, to press against each other. The screws originally were placed parallel in Thomas' leg.

Long before Dr. Richard Ferkel found the new fracture, Thomas realized there was a problem. It wasn't so much that he couldn't sustain the pounding on his plant foot during swing after swing, but he had trouble just walking out of the clubhouse after a game.

"I was more shocked because I really knew something was going on already. It was feeling like it did last year," said Thomas of his initial reaction to the latest injury. "I just wanted to try to stay up, but it became a depressing situation when I got back to the doctor.

"It's tough. It's been my life so long, man, you know it's kind of depressing. But it's one of these things where I understand. A lot of people have gotten hurt. A lot of great players have been hurt, so you just have to deal with it."

Thomas will have a better idea as to where he stands after a CT scan during a doctor's visit Thursday. He plans to be with the team for much of the final month's stretch drive, and actually had set his sights on a visit in Seattle this past weekend before family issues popped up. The far-reaching effects of Hurricane Katrina delayed his trip from Monday to Tuesday morning.

A current goal for Thomas is to lend moral support to his struggling teammates. Even with the team's recent seven-game losing streak and their first-place lead over Cleveland in the American League Central chopped in half, Thomas still believes in the 2005 White Sox.

Of course, the South Siders would be in even better position with Thomas' power and keen batting eye in the lineup.

"We miss Frank, of course we do," White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen said. "When Frank was in our lineup, our lineup was stronger. You lose [scott] Podsednik, but I lost Frank Thomas, and he contributed to win a couple of games."

"Every team is going to go through some tough times," Thomas added. "I think the team's going to be fine. You just can't get caught up in all of the negativity right now. They've played better baseball than anyone could have dreamed of. They just have to finish it up."

As for Thomas' career being finished, those early prognostications appear to be off the mark. At least, Thomas' educated opinion believes that to be true.

The new fracture is in an area with more blood supply, increasing the chance for it to heal on its own. If it does heal without surgery, there's a chance Thomas could be back in 2006, working toward 500 career home runs. Living out his dream as part of the White Sox remains to be decided.

"Of course," said Thomas, whose 12 home runs this season left him at 448 for his career, when asked if he preferred to stay with the White Sox. "But you just never know how things are going to work out. My goal is definitely to retire here, if I get a chance.

"I think everybody wanted me to be done, but I'm not going to be done. I'm going to try to get this thing back together. My goal is still to get those 52 home runs. I've worked too hard my whole career to get there and I'm going to do whatever it takes to get back."

This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Aug 30, 2005 -> 09:11 PM)
Frank's not going to be able to get many more opportunities to get a ring, if at all, I'd love to see him be there for the Sox in October.

I want to see Frank have that Kirk Gibson moment.

He is trying to do what Lowell did in 03 for the marlins. Miss the last month of the Season and play in the playoffs.

Gah...I almost wish I didn't read this. I'm so excited now.

As for Thomas' career being finished, those early prognostications appear to be off the mark. At least, Thomas' educated opinion believes that to be true.

The new fracture is in an area with more blood supply, increasing the chance for it to heal on its own. If it does heal without surgery, there's a chance Thomas could be back in 2006, working toward 500 career home runs. Living out his dream as part of the White Sox remains to be decided.

:headbang :headbang :headbang :headbang :headbang :headbang

QUOTE(Whitesoxfan56 @ Aug 30, 2005 -> 09:19 PM)
Expanding on what the writer wrote, how get would it be if in Game 7, bottom of the 9th two outs iguchi on first down by one run, thomas walks up to the plate and hits a 2 run bomb to win the world series.  that would be just unbelivable!!!

I can dream cant I

I'm officially giddy.

The Sox obviously left him off the 60 for a reason.

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Aug 30, 2005 -> 10:19 PM)
Me too.

I hate wanting something I know I'm probably not gonne get... :(

I've been thinking about this since I read it. The chances have to be better of him returning, than not returning for them to even post this. Unless the people at Chisox.com hate us that much.

Expanding on what the writer wrote, how get would it be if in Game 7, bottom of the 9th two outs iguchi on first down by one run, thomas walks up to the plate and hits a 2 run bomb to win the world series.  that would be just unbelivable!!!

I can dream cant I

i think that would possibly be the greatest moment of my life.....

:pray

I can dream cant I

That makes 2 of us

Game 7? Try game 4. :D

My friends and I have been talking about this for awhile as a dream. Nice to see Frank thinking about it as well. But based on earlier in the season I'm not going to get my hopes up. How many times was his return date pushed back early in the season? Its a dream but I'm counting on winning it with the team we've got right now.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Aug 30, 2005 -> 10:24 PM)
For the naysayers of anything Frank, was it coincidence that the offense hit better as a whole when Frank was playing this summer?

I also don't think it was a coincidence. He does add a special presence to the lineup. I just don't want to see an injured Frank Thomas trying to come back and ending up hurting himself even more, and the team.