Hurt not ruling out October

White Sox Josh

I love Frank Thomas and hope he comes back to play in October and finishes his career with the Whitesox. But I wish he would have stated his goal is to comeback and be a part of a championship run as opposed to getting those 52 homers for 500. I know he wants it and we all want him to get it but I just wish he would talk in terms of the team in regards to his goals.

But in any event, the greatest hitter in Whitesox history deserves to finish his career with the Whitesox...as a champion.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Aug 30, 2005 -> 11:22 PM)
When our hopes fall on Frank coming back this year, we've got serious problems.

Nothing is falling on Frank's shoulders here. It would be a great addition and would most likely help the team but by no means are the Sox relying on a healthy Frank Thomas.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Aug 30, 2005 -> 11:24 PM)
Nothing is falling on Frank's shoulders here. It would be a great addition and would most likely help the team but by no means are the Sox relying on a healthy Frank Thomas.

I meant it sounds like some peoiple here are putting their hopes on a Frank comeback. Says a lot about the overall confidence in our team.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Aug 30, 2005 -> 11:41 PM)
I meant it sounds like some peoiple here are putting their hopes on a Frank comeback.  Says a lot about the overall confidence in our team.

It's not that these posters have a lack of confidence in the team, it's that a lot of us have grown up watching Frank and would want nothing more as Sox fans than to see him finally get his ring and to have him be a major contributor in getting to the WS and god willing, winning the WS. He's worked his ass off his entire career with one team, he deserves this and as fans of the team, we have watched him perform day in and day out for the past 15 years, to finally see him accomplish something of this magnitude would be remarkable as fans of this club and fans of this great ballplayer.

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Aug 30, 2005 -> 06:10 PM)
This sounds pretty promising.  I saw a podiatrist a couple days ago to get a callis removed and i asked him about the Big Hurt situation and he said that their is a protective boot out their that would allow him to play and their would be a good chance that he wouldn't get injured any further.  He did say though that he would probably need surgery at the end of the year.

Link

I'm sorry, but I have zero interest in seeing Hurt play in the post-season. A, he's not going to have the at bats necessary to get himself ready and B, he's a total liability to have, especially the deeper you get into the post-season (if they make it).

Plus if they do end up playing in an NL park for half of a series you have a guy thats totally worthless unless its in a one AB situation and like I said, you have the issue of the guy having zero rehab time.

I'd love to see him play in October. He had a bad rehab assignment and hten came in and smoked the ball. This guy can wake up on January 15th and hit. If his foot will allow him, he will swing the bat fine. He's a great trump card to have as a pinch-hitter. Will he be able to run the bases a little though. That has to be the concern.

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 12:03 AM)
I'd love to see him play in October. He had a bad rehab assignment and hten came in and smoked the ball. This guy can wake up on January 15th and hit. If his foot will allow him, he will swing the bat fine. He's a great trump card to have as a pinch-hitter. Will he be able to run the bases a little though. That has to be the concern.

Bad visual.

A single on a gapper potentially.

I think its awesome that Frank will be traveling with the team the rest of the way. This can be a great sign. He can continue to take batting practice and have ankle therapy sessions w/ Herby. Hell- his presence alone just might be enough to boost our team's confidence. I can see Frank on the playoff roster. This has Kirk Gibson written all over it. Frank = the ultamate pinch hitter, this also gives Ozzie leverage to out-manage the opponents managers.

Can someone look up our record since Frank has been out?

In other news... will KW pick up another bat?????

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Aug 30, 2005 -> 11:50 PM)
I'm sorry, but I have zero interest in seeing Hurt play in the post-season. A, he's not going to have the at bats necessary to get himself ready and B, he's a total liability to have, especially the deeper you get into the post-season (if they make it). 

Plus if they do end up playing in an NL park for half of a series you have a guy thats totally worthless unless its in a one AB situation and like I said, you have the issue of the guy having zero rehab time.

Give him 20-25 AB's at the end of the year and he'll be fine. Frank's a professional hitter. The man knows how to hit. What you saw earlier this year was a reinjured Thomas trying to keep playing.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 08:50 AM)
^^^^ The ultimate authority ^^^^

Would you care to make a wager? He's in a cast, if the best case scenerio occured and he was able to get the cast off in a couple weeks, that would leave him with 2 weeks until the playoffs to get strength back into the area, and get sharp enough hitting to where he actually could contribute. He wouldn't be able to take a minor league rehab assignment, since the minor league season will be over. There was the same pipe dream that he and Maggs would possibly return last year. It isn't going to happen, its not realistic.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 08:58 AM)
Would you care to make a wager? He's in a cast, if the best case scenerio occured and he was able to get the cast off in a couple weeks, that would leave him with 2 weeks until the playoffs to get strength back into the area, and get sharp enough hitting to where he actually could contribute. He wouldn't be able to take a minor league rehab assignment, since the minor league season will be over. There was the same pipe dream that he and Maggs would possibly return last year. It isn't going to happen, its not realistic.

Good points.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 09:58 AM)

Frank himself said there is a chance. I'm sure he has more info on the topic than you do. You are just spouting off and do not know anything more than the rest of us. I'll grant you, it's not probable. But you acting like you really have the definitive answer is ridiculous.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 09:06 AM)
Frank himself said there is a chance.  I'm sure he has more info on the topic than you do.  You are just spouting off and do not know anything more than the rest of us.  I'll grant you, it's not probable.  But you acting like you really have the definitive answer is ridiculous.

Read the article, Frank said there was a chance, but he had no idea what kind of chance. His idea of a chance may be 1 in a million. You can say I'm spouting off, but the White Sox, the team with probably the most optimistic idea of injuries in sports, declared him out for the season and the playoffs.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 10:25 AM)
Read the article, Frank said there was a chance, but he had no idea what kind of chance.  His idea of a chance may be 1 in a million.  You can say I'm spouting off, but the White Sox, the team with probably the most optimistic idea of injuries in sports, declared him out for the season and the playoffs.

I read the article. I know the odds are long. But, the point is ... you are acting like you are an expect on Frank's medical condition. When it comes down to it, you don't know s*** about it.

And remember ... you are the one that SCREAMED it.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 09:28 AM)
I read the article.  I know the odds are long.  But, the point is ... you are acting like you are an expect on Frank's medical condition.  When it comes down to it, you don't know s*** about it.

And remember ... you are the one that SCREAMED it.

Just so there wouldn't be a 50 page thread on Frank coming back in October. Since you wouldn't know me if I was standing in front of you, you really shouldn't make assumptions of what I wouldn't know s*** about.