NFL Rankings

Like its been said with a worse team talent wise and being injury riddled we won 5 games so with more talent and health you would expect at least a 2 game increase hopefully a 4 game increase and playoffs but we shall see.

Just remember this non-bears fan... for the majority of last year our QB's were Jonathon Quinn(basicly 0 QB rating), Craig Krenzel(like 18 QB rating), and Chad Hutchinson...(cut this year)... Orton while a rookie is still an upgrade.

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sorry, I just don't see the aditions as that major. The D is basically the same as last year, so the only stuff to bring up is the offense. Mohammad is pretty good, but to think that he will repeat his numbers from last year is simply asanine. That was by far his career year, and he had a real NFL quarterback with some experience getting the ball to him. As for Benson, he's barely been on the field in practice much less done anything in a real game. I'd be very surprised if he even makes it up to splitting starting time before week 6 or so. I could really see him being the next Curtis Enis, while I have a really hard time seeing him as a back along the lines of Shaun Alexander or Edgerrin James (who both might be available next year by the way). Miller and Garza are upgrades, but I still wouldn't call our line stellar, maybe a little above average.

Maybe next year we'll be a real competitor, but I just don't see it this year. My assessment of the schedule, using a win-loss-tossup assessment:

at Wash-W

Det-T

Cin-L

at Cle-W

Min-T

Bal-L

at Det-L

at NO-T

SF-W

Car-L

at TB-T

GB-T

at Pit-L

Atl-L

at GB-L

at Min-L

For those that don't feel like looking and doing simple math, that comes to 3 games I'm pretty sure they'll win, 8 I'm fairly sure they'll lose, and 5 toss ups.

As a side note, there are a couple of players that seem to be available that would seem to help. One is Corey Simon, a Pro-Bowl caliber DT. adding someone like him would make our front seven a monster. The other two are formerly highly regarded receivers that I think could at worst be a #3 for us and probably start: Peerless Price and Peter Warrick.

Edit- My bad, looks like Simon is going to be a Colt. They need him worse than we do.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

Ok your not taking into account that Brown was basicly out, Urlacher was out a lot and when playing was playing hurt, Tillman got injured and wasnt really the same after it, azumah was hurt, Ogunleye his whole time with us was hurt and RW by losing him for defense its addition by subtraction even though he is an awesome punt returner.

Than on offense Benson is much more talented than Enis and should be a major contributer after our bye week for sure and hopefully help us in the 3 games b4 that 2. Our O-Line while the upgrades arent amazing we had injuries on it and Q-Mitchell is the worse LT ever..... Than take into account last year David Terrell was the number 1 WR this year its Muhamed how huge of an upgrade is that? And like i said earlier while still a rookie Orton is still an upgrade over the trash out there throwing the ball last year.

BTW when I say trash i mean as in just horrible NFL players... Not saying they are trash im sure there all good people...and dont really blame Krenzel of that group a 6th round pick not expected to really ever start in the NFL and has to do it his rookie year thats tough.

David Terell's numbers last year- 699 yards-1 TD

Muhammad's two years prior to last year's career year- 823-3, 837-3

I expect Muhammad to be much closer to those numbers than that ridiculous 1405 and 16 last year. Yes, the defense is healthy, but all of those guys are somewhat injury prone and outside of Urlacher they have to prove that they can really be impact players for the Bears. Counting on all of them to stay healthy and perform at their best seems a bit iffy. Regardless of what you think of these guys, it won't matter unless the offense improves quite a bit, or the D can manage to score at least once a game. As for Benson, he may be more gifted than Enis, but he is in the same situation. He wasn't in camp at all and it will probably be a while before he knows the offense well enough for them to make him a significant part of the offense.

The basic question is did this offense make enough upgrades to move from dead last up to at least 20th? I don't think so. We still have an inexperienced quarterback who wasn't a first round pick (I know he's better than the average 4th rounder, but the fact remains he wasn't expected to come in and start immediately), we still only have one legit receiver on the roster, we still don't have a definitive game-changing RB, and we're still depending on our D to stay healthy and put up an 85 Bears or '00 Ravens type season, or at least a '01 Bears type season. While our D looks good, I don't think it's going to be dominant enough to compensate for an offense that will probably struggle to score 20 points on a weekly basis again this season.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 11:25 PM)
All-Pro WR, best in the NFL last season.

Bruising RB with capability to be next Ricky Williams - Off-Field garbage.

Don't forget a healthy O-Line with the additions of Miller and Garza. Oh, and Orton and Bradley are gods.  :D

Mushin will not be the top WR in football, nor in the top 5.

Cedric has played how many games in a Bears uni? In an NFL uni?

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Sep 1, 2005 -> 05:45 PM)
I'm shaking.  :P

Get ready to see Tim Dobbins in your sleep.

Oooh man, I know it is gonna be brutal. I am just looking forward to my school playing a decent D1 team. My buddy at Iowa told me he would go nuts and love it if my school beat ISU haha. You planning on going to the game?

QUOTE(SoxFanForever @ Sep 1, 2005 -> 04:27 PM)
Oooh man, I know it is gonna be brutal.  I am just looking forward to my school playing a decent D1 team.  My buddy at Iowa told me he would go nuts and love it if my school beat ISU haha.  You planning on going to the game?

Sure am. Iowa just better worry about Sept. 10. Any Hawk fans that think they can just walk in to Ames will be surprised.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Sep 2, 2005 -> 01:06 AM)
I dar anyone to question the Bears D:

On 26 possessions in the preseason, the Bears' No. 1 defense gave up just one TD.

This post has been edited by the Soxtalk staff to remove objectionable material. Soxtalk encourages a free discussion between its members, but does not allow personal attacks, threats, graphic sexual material, nudity, or any other materials judged offensive by the Administrators and Moderators. Thank you.

QUOTE(Spiff @ Sep 2, 2005 -> 12:51 AM)
God, you're such a f***in homer it's ridiculous.  The Giants defense has been ridiculous lately too but you don't see me puffing out my chest because I know my team's role.  The Bears suck, the Giants suck too but slightly less.

The D does not suck, Far from it. He is not being a homer, just stating the damn facts.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Sep 2, 2005 -> 03:06 PM)
I dar anyone to question the Bears D:

On 26 possessions in the preseason, the Bears' No. 1 defense gave up just one TD.

Ok, I'll come back at ya with a curveball. With the #1 offense, how many TD's did the Bears #1 offense score?

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Sep 2, 2005 -> 01:12 AM)
Ok, I'll come back at ya with a curveball. With the #1 offense, how many TD's did the Bears #1 offense score?

That was chad Hutchinson running the #1 offense for the entire preseason up until last week when Orton lead them downfield for a TD in his 1 series with the #1 offense. Kind of hard to grade an O when the leader of the offense is no longer with the team, mainly because he sucks.

The Bears offense is pretty damn weak, atleast the Defense appears to be strong though.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Sep 3, 2005 -> 12:41 AM)
The Bears offense is pretty damn weak, atleast the Defense appears to be strong though.

Yep, so it's probably worthwhile to not expect the Bears offense to hit the ground running. And then Orton's probably going to hit the rookie wall as well at some point too, that's when the Bears are really going to need the likes of Benson and Jones to support him.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Sep 2, 2005 -> 09:49 AM)
Yep, so it's probably worthwhile to not expect the Bears offense to hit the ground running. And then Orton's probably going to hit the rookie wall as well at some point too, that's when the Bears are really going to need the likes of Benson and Jones to support him.

Which is entirely possible. I'm not drinking the Kool-Aid as much as others, I'm seeing 6 or 7 wins this year, just because I don't see them not improving on last years record.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Sep 3, 2005 -> 12:55 AM)
Which is entirely possible. I'm not drinking the Kool-Aid as much as others, I'm seeing 6 or 7 wins this year, just because I don't see them not improving on last years record.

Yeah that's about where I see them. Jones didn't look too good last night however (4 rushes, 10 yards), while Anthony Thomas had a good game for Dallas (and yet he could be cut still). Still it is only the pre - season.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Sep 2, 2005 -> 10:06 AM)
Yeah that's about where I see them. Jones didn't look too good last night however (4 rushes, 10 yards), while Anthony Thomas had a good game for Dallas (and yet he could be cut still). Still it is only the pre - season.

Jones looked great for the first 4 preseason games, last night he only played two series and a couple O-Lineman had been pulled already.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Sep 2, 2005 -> 10:22 AM)
Is this like how Tampa Bay's stellar preseason D carried over last year?

I'm not saying the Bears defense is bad....it just won't make up for the offense.

It's hard for you really to talk about the Bears D when you don't watch the games, this preseason and even some last year they have been just ridiculous. Wait til September 11th when they shut down the Redskins and Portis runs for 42 yards.