Soxtalk Congratulates Brandon McCarthy

Heads22

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Aug 30, 2005 -> 09:30 PM)
Remember how the Twins sent Santana to the minors to specifically work on his change?  Did McCarthy have to do something like that?

I'm sure someone can answer this better but for some reason he just stopped using it(I'm not sure if there was something wrong physically..?), in spring training that pitch made him effective and it's a plus pitch for him. When he's using that pitch he's going to be hard to hit, he's got a chance to be special and I really believe that.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 01:30 PM)
Remember how the Twins sent Santana to the minors to specifically work on his change?  Did McCarthy have to do something like that?

Yep, that's probably why you saw in his 1st few appearances back for Charlotte he had more walks than usual. I'd still have him learn a cutter in the off-season though, to get some more movement on that fastball.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Aug 30, 2005 -> 11:30 PM)

I think he was probably humbled somewhat from his first five starts, probably watched tape, I know he changed his release point and he threw the change and curve both for a strike which he didn't do his first time up. His fastball also had more movement than I've seen in the past during tonight's outing.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Aug 30, 2005 -> 11:30 PM)

They discovered that he had lost his 12-6 arm angle. It negatively affected his location, deception, stuff and confidence. When he made the adjustments back to 12-6, he said it felt right - like he felt in the past.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Aug 30, 2005 -> 11:32 PM)
He's still invited to your kitchen at anytime right Soxy (at Ross Gload's expense of course).  :P

Of course. :D Heck, I'd bring him breakfast in bed (in the guest room, of course).

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Aug 30, 2005 -> 10:44 PM)
I'm getting a lot of answer, and that's all well and good.  But, I'm not getting what I want.

Someone just say yes, he'll be the next Santana :P

Johan Santana ain't got s*** on Brandon McCarthy.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Aug 30, 2005 -> 10:44 PM)
I'm getting a lot of answer, and that's all well and good.  But, I'm not getting what I want.

Someone just say yes, he'll be the next Santana :P

Well, if he can carry his EXTREMELY impressive minor league numbers into the major leagues, we're talking someone who could end up with a career ERA in the low 3s, or maybe even the 2s.

I am more impressed with the fact that Brandon stared down the team that really had his number, not to mention that they are a very good hitting/powerful team. His poise and stuff was amazing tonite, I was really worried that Texas was just getting started in the first game. He totally shut them down. Put that boy on the playoff roster.

And following him with Jenks was pretty f***ing awesome too.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 02:56 AM)
I watched the game while working out at Lifetime. What a performance.  Congrats to Brandon.  One of the better pitching performances of the year.  This kid became the stopper.  Hopefully the rotation feeds of this energy and gets better.

what lifetime do you go to?

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Aug 30, 2005 -> 10:31 PM)
he should go out to eat with Jenks after the games.

I think I remember an interview with him in spring training where he said he eats a ton and just can not gain any weight, I'm sure Bobby could take care of that though :P

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Aug 30, 2005 -> 07:33 PM)
I'm sure someone can answer this better but for some reason he just stopped using it(I'm not sure if there was something wrong physically..?), in spring training that pitch made him effective and it's a plus pitch for him.  When he's using that pitch he's going to be hard to hit, he's got a chance to be special and I really believe that.

Like I mentioned earlier in the year when he went back down. He was tipping his pitch and because of it he had zero confidence in throwing it. He made adjustments and got back the arm slot and has just been throwing blanks ever since. It was a fact of the opposition being able to read changeup mixed with him losing confidence in the pitch.

He got the swagger back and its made a huge difference. He's also working on a 2 seamer IIRC and we'll see that a bit more this spring. I also heard some grumblings about adding a slider to his rep eventually, but I think the Sox plan on taking things slow when it comes to stuff like that.

He has a plus change and curveball and a good fastball, thats bordering on plus because of his command.

This is a very very impressive pitcher and assuming he stays healthy, he's going to have a very very bright future in this league. Its a blessing in disguise that the Sox didn't make any moves and if we hold onto Chris Young that will be another blessing if you ask me. The system has a few guys that I deem "special" and I think we will be lucky to watch them slowly gel in with some of the current players in potential creating a dynasty of sorts on the South Side of Chicago.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Aug 30, 2005 -> 08:39 PM)
I think I remember an interview with him in spring training where he said he eats a ton and just can not gain any weight, I'm sure Bobby could take care of that though :P

I can vouch for that. Kid eats like a horse but he just doesn't put on the weight. He has added weight each off-season though, its just been a slow process. He works out really hard though and does a lot to stay in shape.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Aug 30, 2005 -> 10:40 PM)
Like I mentioned earlier in the year when he went back down.  He was tipping his pitches and because of it he had zero confidence in throwing it.  He made adjustments and got back the arm slot and has just been throwing blanks ever since.  It was a fact of the opposition being able to read changeup mixed with him losing confidence in the pitch. 

He got the swagger back and its made a huge difference. He's also working on a 2 seamer IIRC and we'll see that a bit more this spring.  I also heard some grumblings about adding a slider to his rep eventually, but I think the Sox plan on taking things slow when it comes to stuff like that. 

He has a plus change and curveball and a good fastball, thats bordering on plus because of his command. 

This is a very very impressive pitcher and assuming he stays healthy, he's going to have a very very bright future in this league.  Its a blessing in disguise that the Sox didn't make any moves and if we hold onto Chris Young that will be another blessing if you ask me.  The system has a few guys that I deem "special" and I think we will be lucky to watch them slowly gel in with some of the current players in potential creating a dynasty of sorts on the South Side of Chicago.

Thanks for the info about the change, I did not know that. Also, yes I think Brandon is a special pitcher and a special player, I have not seen Young play much(besides the few ab's at the futures game) but he sounds like he just has absolutely outstanding talent, I'm very excited to see him play eventually.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Aug 30, 2005 -> 08:44 PM)
Thanks for the info about the change, I did not know that.  Also, yes I think Brandon is a special pitcher and a special player, I have not seen Young play much(besides the few ab's at the futures game) but he sounds like he just has absolutely outstanding talent, I'm very excited to see him play eventually.

The other thing that stands out about Young is the type of individual he is. You see a lot of me players and Young as well as McCarthy definately aren't those type of guys.

Speaking of Chris Young he has to be about as humble of a person as possible and he's also the type of guy that flat out does everything asked of him and than some. He's a hard worker whose constantly doing whatever it takes to make the necessary adjustments to his swing. Its the type of "willing to do what it takes" attitude thats necessary.

And remember this is the first win of whats going to be a nice winning streak (ie the Sox are gonna go on a roll winning series after series).