Once and for all

Greg Hibbard

THE INDIANS ARE NOT WINNING THIS DIVISION!

I don't care what kind of jinx you think I'm laying down.

IT'S NOT HAPPENING!!!!!!!

Say the Indians somehow magically go 21-9. Really, this is the best they could humanly do. They cannot and will not go 22-8 (.733) with their remaining schedule, including 3 with Oakland, 6 with a decent Minnesota team (and Santana), 3 at Jacobs Field with a hot D-rays team that just swept them there, and 6 with the White Sox who have handled them.

But say they win every single series from here on out, (split the remaining two with detroit, win 2/3 at Min, 2/3 at detroit, 2/3 vs. Min, 2/3 vs. Oak, 3/3 vs. KC, 2/3 vs. Oakland, 2/3 at Sox, 3/4 at KC, 2/3 vs. TB, and 2/3 vs. Sox) improbable as it is.

The Sox have to go just 14-18 to lose the division after tonight's win.

Think about this for a minute.

During the season's very worst 32 game stretch, from a Detroit loss on Tuesday July 19th through last week's series at Minnesota, the team went 15-17, one game better than the worst they would have to do to tie under this scenario. With 7 against Boston. With 6 against New York. With two games against Johan motherf***ing Santana. With a 7 game losing streak. With losing 8 out of 9 games. With another west coast trip. And with all that, during that stretch, they STILL won 15 out of 32 games.

We have six dates with Kansas City right around the corner, ending on Sept. 15th. I'd be surprised if the magic number after those series isn't under 10 by then.

AGAIN, ONCE AND FOR ALL, THE INDIANS ARE NOT WINNING THIS DIVISION!

Edited by Greg Hibbard

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ Aug 30, 2005 -> 11:34 PM)
Yep, the Indians won't win the division. It'll be the Sox winning it.

And then is it three and out in the ALDS??

I'm not one of the doomsayers around here by any stretch, but the self confidence that this team had (and we had in them) the first 3.5 months of the season is AWOL. Before the break, we looked to be THE TEAM, the story of the year, yada yada. Now we're just looking like one of the also-rans, limping into the playoffs with a too much self doubt for Ozzie to brush aside with a couple of jokes in the clubhouse.

That said, I think they can shake off the funk and get past the first round. If they can channel 88 years of fan and franchise anguish and just fire on all cylinders for a couple short series' then maybe we'll see the team do us proud. We're just shy of the centennial of the 1906 'Hitless Wonders' championship team, but I think that's close enough so what the hell, let's do it again.

Over?. . . Was it over when the... Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Aug 30, 2005 -> 11:51 PM)
And then is it three and out in the ALDS??

I'm not one of the doomsayers around here by any stretch, but the self confidence that this team had (and we had in them) the first 3.5 months of the season is AWOL.  Before the break, we looked to be THE TEAM, the story of the year, yada yada.  Now we're just looking like one of the also-rans, limping into the playoffs with a too much self doubt for Ozzie to brush aside with a couple of jokes in the clubhouse.

That said, I think they can shake off the funk and get past the first round.  If they can channel 88 years of fan and franchise anguish and just fire on all cylinders for a couple short series' then maybe we'll see the team do us proud.  We're just shy of the centennial of the 1906 'Hitless Wonders' championship team, but I think that's close enough so what the hell, let's do it again.

Over?. . . Was it over when the... Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

HELL NO!!

They are 5-13 in their last 18. The play Minny 7 times, California 3 and the Indians 6. The Royals have a two game winning streak against us and Tigers have played us tight and have a much better hitting team than us. We play them 6 times.

Minnny 2 - 5 (We are 2-5 in our last 7 against them)

Cal 1-2

Det 3-3 and this is a stretch

Clev 1-5 (They want it more sorry)

7-15, go from there

QUOTE(Jenks Heat @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 02:29 PM)
They are 5-13 in their last 18.  The play Minny 7 times, California 3 and the Indians 6.  The Royals have a two game winning streak against us and Tigers have played us tight and have a much better hitting team than us.  We play them 6 times.

Minnny 2 - 5 (We are 2-5 in our last 7 against them)

Cal 1-2

Det 3-3 and this is a stretch

Clev 1-5 (They want it more sorry)

7-15, go from there

Ha! What is the Sox head to head record vs. the Indians this year? Oh yeah, and how much do you want to put down?

QUOTE(Greg Hibbard @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 02:31 PM)
Ha! What is the Sox head to head record vs. the Indians this year? Oh yeah, and how much do you want to put down?

Check the run differential in the injun games with the sox. If you think by our record we beat them down. I suggest you look again. The only convincing wins happend in that last 4 game sweep.

We havent hit besides 2 games yesterday in a month. The indians have a great bullpen and good pitching.

But yeah I can see how we are just going to beat the crap out of them.

QUOTE(Greg Hibbard @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 09:38 PM)
So you are going on record saying you don't think the Sox are gonna win the division?

I DONT! However, I'm not going to bet on it. I'm not hedging my love for the Sox for money. I've never changed my opinion this year that the Sox were playing way over their heads to start the year, and that things would come crumbling down due to a poor offense, overachieving pitching, and awful managing. Now, it doesn't mean that I won't root like hell for them to win every game they play the rest of the season.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 03:42 PM)
We all knew August was going to be tough.  It's over.  September looks kind of cake to me.  Hopefully that instills some confidence back into the pitching and offense for the postseason.

Between July and August, they were .500, as average as you can be. They don't have many off days now, and have really played poorly at home. If Ozzie continues to give away games by trotting out lineups like the one he threw out there today, you will be witnessing one of the biggest collapses in MLB history.