**Official 8/31/05 Game Thread**

Brian

This is so sad we have blown such a big lead. We could of clinched in two weeks if we didnt pull this roll over and die crap. Now we will be playing till the end. Our starters will be dead by the time the playoffs come.

And think if Ozzie thinks that Timo is a better option than Carl Everett with men on late in the game, who do you think he will use in the playoffs when a similiar situation comes to play.

• Replies 557
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Misplaced_Sox @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 08:22 PM)
I really like the game threads though guys.

I only get to see like 15% of the Sox games because im in Charlotte now and the game threads help me feel involved in the game.

I know a lot of people hate these threads cause of the optimism/pessimism fights. As one of the pessimists on the board, I still have a lot of respect for everyone on this board. Think about this....we're all Sox fans! We all want the same thing at the end of the night....a WIN!

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 02:26 PM)
BTW, any other info on the Todd Walker rumor?  Seems like that's died down.

KW doesnt want to mess with chemistry. He wants to be the answer to a trivial pursuit question, biggest lead blown away in last month and a half. The 2005 Chicago White Sox.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 02:24 PM)
This is so sad we have blown such a big lead. We could of clinched in two weeks if we didnt pull this roll over and die crap.  Now we will be playing till the end.  Our starters will be dead by the time the playoffs come.

It might be a good thing if it goes to the end. If (and that's a pretty big IF) we have clinched too soon, whose to say they would be relaxed and not ready for the playoffs. If they clinch (again a pretty big IF) than at least they'll have some momemtum.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 03:23 PM)
Exactly.  Everything on and off the field (HAWK!) have been extremely painful.  To think that we're 6 games up right now is actually uplifting, because the way we've played in August, we don't deserve that big of a lead.  If the Indians don't cool off, we won't make the playoffs.  That's my prediction, and I'm sticking to it!

If we didn't win the division, we would almost certainly be front-runners for the wild card barring a total collapse.

We aren't going to clinch anything any time if we don't start playing better.

the closer the lead gets the tighter this team will play.

and it's already playing awfully tight.

If we blow a 15-game lead, it's going to become a big national story.

Ozzie and the boyz will start getting mighty cranky answering questions about how close Cleveland has inched.

It ain't going to be pleasant.

Not one bit.

Maybe Joe Borchard and Jamie Burke can save the day.

QUOTE(robinventura23 @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 02:27 PM)
It might be a good thing if it goes to the end.  If (and that's a pretty big IF) we have clinched too soon, whose to say they would be relaxed and not ready for the playoffs.  If they clinch (again a pretty big IF) than at least they'll have some momemtum.

Our starters need rest. Check out the innings pitched on the big 3. How fresh do you think they will be if they have to go 7/8 innings in every single start in September.

QUOTE(infohawk @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 08:28 PM)
If we didn't win the division, we would almost certainly be front-runners for the wild card barring a total collapse.

No we wouldn't. If we don't win the division, it would be because of a poor record the rest of the way. If the Indians catch us, it's very likely that the Angels or Yankees would have had a good record the rest of the way.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 02:29 PM)
Our starters need rest.  Check out the innings pitched on the big 3.  How fresh do you think they will be if they have to go 7/8 innings in every single start in September.

That's why they have Brandon McCarthy. Go to a 6-man rotation.

QUOTE(Colorado Sox Fan @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 08:30 PM)
I can't believe Ozzie field this lineup today. What is his obsession with playing Blum at first?

To give PK a day off from the field. I completely understand that. However, benching 3 starters is total B.S.

QUOTE(winninguglyin83 @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 08:28 PM)
If we blow a 15-game lead, it's going to become a big national story.

I'm not too concerned about it becoming a big story. First of all, we would deserve every last bashing we received. Next, by the time we would have collapsed, it would be the playoff time....which means all the media cares about is the Yanks/Red Sox.

QUOTE(Misplaced_Sox @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 02:29 PM)
ESPN thinks a deal will be made......

whatever that means take it for what its worth

wow i heard exactly what espn said and nowhere in there did they say they think something will happen. phillips talked to KW before and he had no comment when phillips asked him if any deals would be made. phillips than said that typically what that means is that KW is trying and he thinks KW is trying, and that something could happen. the way misplaced sox put it was brutally inaccurate

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 03:31 PM)
To give PK a day off from the field.  I completely understand that.  However, benching 3 starters is total B.S.

Gooch needs the break, but when Harris the answer that's bad.

I hope they are not being cautious with Pods, if he's still hurt then we should be playing BA every day.