September Boost

The Ginger Kid

QUOTE(3E8 @ Sep 1, 2005 -> 04:24 AM)
Neither are starters and you can argue that Blum is more valuable as a bench player but he is terrible offensively.  Everyone here seems to think we'd better off with him starting yet Crede still remains a better option with two herniated discs.

Blum is definitely a better offensive option than a slumping Crede. If Crede is playing decent, then he should be the everyday starter, of course. But Crede was definitely in a bad frame of mind at the plate the few weeks before he got injured.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 11:30 PM)
Blum is definitely a better offensive option than a slumping Crede.  If Crede is playing decent, then he should be the everyday starter, of course.  But Crede was definitely in a bad frame of mind at the plate the few weeks before he got injured.

I'll take Crede over Blum any day. Even if he's slumping, he can break out of it. He can't do that while sitting on the bench.

QUOTE(SpringfieldFan @ Sep 1, 2005 -> 06:01 AM)
I would like to believe the callups will provide the Sox a spark to help them surge through the last month and pull away from Cleveland and the others. But...

Don't all the other teams now have their "sparks" too, and thus it is all really a zero-net-gain?

SFF

Who cares about the other teams. Most of them aren't playing for anything anyway. We need a shot in the arm from someone. I'm thinking Brian Anderson.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2005 @ Sep 1, 2005 -> 07:15 AM)
Who cares about the other teams.  Most of them aren't playing for anything anyway.  We need a shot in the arm from someone.  I'm thinking Brian Anderson.

To be real simple about this, if:

Opponent defeats Chisox

Then doesn't is stand to reason that:

Opponent + AAA secret weapon defeats Chisox + AAA secret weapon

In other words what good is this shot in the arm if it doesn't leverage you against anyone else, regardless of if you "care" about them or not?

QUOTE(Misplaced_Sox @ Sep 1, 2005 -> 08:38 AM)
I actually like Borchard.  I mean he has hit pretty good this year after that horrible start and seemed to be really heating up and limiting the K's.  Anyone that can chuck out 30 some homers to me isnt all that much of a lost cause to me.

Can you imagine if JoBo can provide the lefty boost,ala Ryan Howard.

:stick one too many PBR's at Jimbo's

QUOTE(SpringfieldFan @ Sep 1, 2005 -> 07:10 AM)
To be real simple about this, if:

Opponent defeats Chisox

Then doesn't is stand to reason that:

Opponent + AAA secret weapon defeats Chisox + AAA secret weapon

In other words what good is this shot in the arm if it doesn't leverage you against anyone else, regardless of if you "care" about them or not?

I don't get what you're saying. So if Gload or Anderson come out and actually give us an offensive lift, it won't mean anything unless other call-ups from other teams struggle? We need an offensive pick me up in the worst way. It doesn't matter who it comes from. And it doesn't matter what other teams call-ups do. We need OUR guys to step up.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 09:15 PM)
This I do agree with.  I can definitely understand giving Scotty a day off today but Gooch got a game off yesterday, Carl is a dh and he rarely needs a day off.  There wasn't really a reason to give those two the day off.

Manual never changed the line up and early in the season Ozzie looked brilliant with his subtle changes in the lineup. We have to start winning so it would be wise to be put the best he's got in for a while instead of the OPTIMAlly Inept. Odds are Cleveland can't play well enough to catch us but how are we going to feel if we just hold on to win and then lose our first playoff series . We've got to start playing. :gosoxretro:

QUOTE(Sox Hustler @ Sep 1, 2005 -> 02:55 AM)
If I was Burke I would look at my options with other teams. Not that I am against Widge but first Widge breaks camp with the team and now Casanova over him??

Plain and simple, Burke is not a catcher. He is a utility guy who can catch. He has never caught a full season in his career so teams won't seriously consider him as a backup. A third catcher in the right situation, perhaps.........