how we learned to stop worrying and love fathom

Chifananthony

With all the hoopla about this special season, it all comes down to this. If KW does not bring us a quality bat by the deadline the organization has failed us. This Griffey thing smaks of the sox not wanting to take enough of his salary to consumate a deal. Where there's a will there's a way. I could care less about prospects. When u have a chance to go to the series u do whatever it takes to get those players. Even if u overpay its understood. IF WE DO NOT GET HELP WE WILL NOT MAKE THE PLAYOFFS, AND THIS WOULD BE A BIGGER CHOKE JOB THAN THE '69 FLUB CHOKE. KENNY DONT LET US DOWN!!!!!!

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Chifananthony @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 06:09 PM)
With all the hoopla about this special season, it all comes down to this. If KW does not bring us a quality bat by the deadline the organization has failed us. This Griffey thing smaks of the sox not wanting to take enough of his salary to consumate a deal. Where there's a will there's a way. I could care less about prospects. When u have a chance to go to the series u do whatever it takes to get those players. Even if u overpay its understood. IF WE DO NOT GET HELP WE WILL NOT MAKE THE PLAYOFFS, AND THIS WOULD BE A BIGGER CHOKE JOB THAN THE '69 FLUB CHOKE. KENNY DONT LET US DOWN!!!!!!

Welcome aboard. :cheers :drink

Let me warn you immediately--you're not going to make friends easily with this post.

Williams will (I'm positive) hold blame for any scenario regarding this team which doesn't involve, at the least, an ALCS appearance. Best record in baseball at midseason, Williams failed to upgrade our offense. Excuses ranged from "Two to Tango" Philosophy (overzelous sellers asking too much) to "Lack of Moves" philosophy (no one else did anything!). Both are wrong and shouldn't apply to a team which, if the correct move was made, put itself in a tremendous opportunity to build on it's success and upgrade a suspect offense.

Point which irritates regarding Williams is he's been more than willing to hand out prospects for midseason trades in the past when our team was 7 games out of first. But when we're 15 games up on the second place team and almost guaranteed a playoff roster he does absolutely s***. Give up prospects if necessary; offer to pay the remainder of a salary--future success isn't guaranteed with any team. This may be our window to contend for a World Series. Tigers and Indians can no longer be expected to lay down for us every year. Williams should concern himself with winning now--because we may not be in a position like we are now for another 5 years. He certaintly won't be around to see if his team collapses or falls flat in the first round.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

I dont know if this is right, but I remember him saying he wasn't going to sign anyone anymore(before the season started) so in midseason, if the White Sox needed a piece or two, they would have the financial flexibility to not worry about it. This team has needed a piece or two on the offensive end. Blum was not the answer.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Sep 1, 2005 -> 12:19 AM)
Welcome aboard.  :cheers  :drink

Let me warn you immediately--you're not going to make friends easily with this post. 

Williams will (I'm positive) hold blame for any scenario regarding this team which doesn't involve, at the least, an ALCS appearance. Best record in baseball at midseason, Williams failed to upgrade our offense. Excuses ranged from "Two to Tango" Philosophy (overzelous sellers asking too much) to "Lack of Moves" philosophy (no one else did anything!). Both are wrong and shouldn't apply to a team which put itself in a tremendous opportunity to only build on it's success and upgrade it's suspect offense.

Point which irritates regarding Williams is he's been more than willing to overpay for midseason trades in the past when our team was 7 games out of first. But when we're 15 games up on the second place team and almost guaranteed a playoff roster he does absolutely s***. Give up prospects if necessary; offer to pay the remainder of a salary--future success isn't guaranteed with any team. This may be our window to contend for a World Series. Tigers and Indians can no longer be expected to lay down for us every year. Concern winning now--because we may not be in a position like we are now for another 5 years.

:notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

QUOTE(Chifananthony @ Sep 1, 2005 -> 12:21 AM)
I dont understand why people are buying this "its a terrible market for trades" s***. This is a bad excuse. If u believe that Griff is the key, or Huff, or whomever, u do what u have to do to get it done. No excuses!!!

If you knew what Tampa was asking for in regards to Huff, you wouldn't feel that way.

I don't think the Griffey thing had anything to do with money. I don't think the Reds really wanted to trade him, and I don't think he really wanted to be a White Sox. I don't think you can say he failed until the exam is over. If the White Sox don't make the playoffs, I'd agree with you and say he failed because he bought into chemistry too much and aimed too high at near impossible targets. There have been several players moved this season that could help the White Sox. Who knows, there's still a few more hours to go, maybe KW will have a banner night tonight.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 06:24 PM)
Know what?  Impossible gets or the fixated part?

The fixated parts. Just cause the "great" baseball insiders in this town said those were the guy kenny was after really doesn't mean anything. Hell, that could have all been a smoke screen for other things, we just dont know.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Sep 1, 2005 -> 12:25 AM)
The fixated parts.  Just cause the "great" baseball insiders in this town said those were the guy kenny was after really doesn't mean anything.  Hell, that could have all been a smoke screen for other things, we just dont know.

Based on what KW was saying in the press before the trade deadline, I think it's obvious Huff was his main target. He also then made it quite clear he was interested in Griffey Jr. after the deadline. Insiders might not know how close something is to happening...but they have a very good grasp of what players a team is interested in.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Sep 1, 2005 -> 12:26 AM)
I will ask again, and no one really seems to answer.

What did the Yanks do to bolster there team? Boston? Oakland? Angles? Minny? Clevland?

What did they do to make there rosters so much better at the deadline and wavier wire?

What have they done? Don't we have a better record then all of them? Shouldnt they be more concered with getting a piece then we are??

The Twins chose not to give up Liriano, basically limiting themselves from making a trade for an impact player. I think teams like the Yanks, Boston, Oakland, and Anaheim thought that their teams were good enough to win it all. Of course, we're speaking as FANS of the White Sox, and we just don't seem good enough to win it all now.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 07:26 PM)

What did the Yanks do to bolster there team? Boston? Oakland? Angles? Minny? Clevland?

What did they do to make there rosters so much better at the deadline and wavier wire?

What have they done? Don't we have a better record then all of them? Shouldnt they be more concered with getting a piece then we are??

don't you remember?

KW is a super hero and all the other GM's are stupid. THey're supposed to give us good players, but we can't give up good prospects or else KW is stupid.

White sox fans are dumb

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 07:25 PM)
The fixated parts.  Just cause the "great" baseball insiders in this town said those were the guy kenny was after really doesn't mean anything.  Hell, that could have all been a smoke screen for other things, we just dont know.

There was a good amount of names reported that KW was interested in. He was getting outlandish requests such as McCarthy for Villone.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 06:23 PM)
You really don't know that.

If he doesn't know that, than no one can be sure those "ridiculous" trade scenarios suggested for Huff/Baez were true. I'm sure they were lowered.

I honestly believe Williams held faith in this club maintaing our lead and felt our offense was good enough to manage with the pitching carrying the team. It was probably more a question of no "difference makers" being on the market (aside from Griffey) than clubs asking too much. He may have spent all his time working out a deal for Griffey, and when the Reds declined to trade him too many days had elapsed.

OK, i'm going to be "that guy" and really ride the fence on this one. If nobody is moved I'll lay off KW since that will bear out that there really was no market, but if a couple quality bats move, ie Walker or of that ilk, I will be dissapointed with KW. This team needs a spark, it took two rookie pitchers to salvage one game against a team under .500. That's not good.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 06:26 PM)

The Yankees got Chacon, and considering how the Sox hit him, he's destined for Cooperstown. Boston got Graffinino, KW came in second. Oakland got Jay Payton, and Joe Kennedy. The Angels didn't do much, but if money wasn't an issue would you trade their roster for the White Sox? Minnesota is out of it, they tried with Boone. Cleveland didn't do much because they were about 15 out at the non-waiver deadline, although if KW doesn't get Walker, they are rumored to be favorites to get him if he is moved.

Trust me, I'm not one of these armchair MVP Baseball fans who thinks that every player is available to be traded for 5 prospects at a time, etc. But, there are definitely guys that have been available that could help this team, and be major upgrades over what we have here right now.