how we learned to stop worrying and love fathom

Chifananthony

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All those teams are trending upward we are trending DOWN. We are running out of steam, and without help we are done. As far as Griffey, I am positive that if you offer to take enough of his salary he would be ours. This bulls*** about the owners not wanting to trade for him because he makes their team more attractive to sell is completely rediculous. If you take long term debt away from a business, that business becomes much more marketable. If I were buying the Reds, I would want a clean slate and no deffered contract money to deal with. Ill buy my own talent.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 06:28 PM)
The Twins chose not to give up Liriano, basically limiting themselves from making a trade for an impact player.  I think teams like the Yanks, Boston, Oakland, and Anaheim thought that their teams were good enough to win it all.  Of course, we're speaking as FANS of the White Sox, and we just don't seem good enough to win it all now.

Nobody knows what teams are good enough to win it all right now. I'll tell you one thing though, if there is a team out of the A.L. who could beat the Cardinals it is us because of our pitching. While Boston and the yanks can absolutely mash they just don't have enough pitching to win it all this year. I personally don't like the Angels staff after Bartolo and everyone knows how I feel about the A's. I think Tony put it perfectly with this team, we could get eliminated real early or we could win it all. The thing is as long as we hang on nobody is going to want to face Buehrle-Garland-Garcia in a short series.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 06:31 PM)
The Yankees got Chacon, and considering how the Sox hit him, he's destined for Cooperstown. Boston got Graffinino, KW came in second. Oakland got Jay Payton, and Joe Kennedy. The Angels didn't do much, but if money wasn't an issue would you trade their roster for the White Sox? Minnesota is out of it, they tried with Boone. Cleveland didn't do much because they were about 15 out at the non-waiver deadline, although if KW doesn't get Walker, they are rumored to be favorites to get him if he is moved.

I said good day!!!

QUOTE(Chifananthony @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 06:32 PM)
All those teams are trending upward we are trending DOWN. We are running out of steam, and without help we are done. As far as Griffey, I am positive that if you offer to take enough of his salary he would be ours. This bulls*** about the owners not wanting to trade for him because he makes their team more attractive to sell is completely rediculous. If you take long term debt away from a business, that business becomes much more marketable. If I were buying the Reds, I would want a clean slate and no deffered contract money to deal with. Ill buy my own talent.

We've trended downward for 2 weeks, that is all.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Sep 1, 2005 -> 12:33 AM)
Nobody knows what teams are good enough to win it all right now.  I'll tell you one thing though, if there is a team out of the A.L. who could beat the Cardinals it is us because of our pitching.  While Boston and the yanks can absolutely mash they just don't have enough pitching to win it all this year.  I personally don't like the Angels staff after Bartolo and everyone knows how I feel about the A's.  I think Tony put it perfectly with this team, we could get eliminated real early or we could win it all.  The thing is as long as we hang on nobody is going to want to face Buehrle-Garland-Garcia in a short series.

You know what I've been saying. I just want to make the playoffs, cause you never know what can happen. However, I just can't picture KW sitting in his office thinking "oh yeah, no doubt in my mind we'll make the playoffs with this current offense". I actually think KW has improved over the years, but he was wrong when he thought that only a superstar would help this team.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 06:26 PM)
I will ask again, and no one really seems to answer.

What did the Yanks do to bolster there team? Boston? Oakland? Angles? Minny? Clevland?

Hawk Harrelson, Kenny Williams, and many White Sox fans on this board used a similiar line of reasoning to explain the lack of moves Williams made two offseasons ago.

The saying was, "We didn't do anything significant--but either did Minnesota." Unfortunately, it didn't turn out so well in the end for us.

If you insist on using your line of reasoning, the fact no other contending team made a significant move should have been more of a reason for us to initiate one. If we were the best before, it only served to benefit our club to put more space between ourselves and the American League.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 06:33 PM)
Nobody knows what teams are good enough to win it all right now.  I'll tell you one thing though, if there is a team out of the A.L. who could beat the Cardinals it is us because of our pitching.  While Boston and the yanks can absolutely mash they just don't have enough pitching to win it all this year.  I personally don't like the Angels staff after Bartolo and everyone knows how I feel about the A's.  I think Tony put it perfectly with this team, we could get eliminated real early or we could win it all.  The thing is as long as we hang on nobody is going to want to face Buehrle-Garland-Garcia in a short series.

man, I use to think that until about the last month or so... the offense the Sox have is absolutely terrible. What they did against the 0-6 pitcher in relief in the first game yesterday was embarassing.

after seeing the numbers crunched in the other post, I feel Sox will make the playoffs, and will likely have great pitching performances, but lose in 4 games with like 3-2, 2-1 scores...

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Sep 1, 2005 -> 12:34 AM)
We've trended downward for 2 weeks, that is all.

We've won 18 of our last 40 games. That's a HUGE decrease compared to how we were playing the first half of the year. As Mac said on the radio today, it's not a slump...it's a trend.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 06:35 PM)
You know what I've been saying.  I just want to make the playoffs, cause you never know what can happen.  However, I just can't picture KW sitting in his office thinking "oh yeah, no doubt in my mind we'll make the playoffs with this current offense".  I actually think KW has improved over the years, but he was wrong when he thought that only a superstar would help this team.

Once again Fathom you don't know that. Actually, I'd be inclined to say you're wrong about that considering it's been said that we almost landed Randa and Graff who aren't exactly superstars.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Sep 1, 2005 -> 12:26 AM)
I will ask again, and no one really seems to answer.

What did the Yanks do to bolster there team? Boston? Oakland? Angles? Minny? Clevland?

What did they do to make there rosters so much better at the deadline and wavier wire?

What have they done? Don't we have a better record then all of them? Shouldnt they be more concered with getting a piece then we are??

All the teams you mentioned did something to atleast try and bolster there position of need. The White Sox chose to add a utility infielder who can't hit.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Sep 1, 2005 -> 12:36 AM)
Once again Fathom you don't know that.  Actually, I'd be inclined to say you're wrong about that considering it's been said that we almost landed Randa and Graff who aren't exactly superstars.

Those moves were being considered to support/back-up Crede at 3b. They weren't moves being considered to give our offense a spark.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 06:37 PM)
That's what happens when you lose 7 in a row.

Then you could use the argument that their record was inflated the first 3 months because they won 8 in a row. 2 or 3 times. They are sputtering, can't you see that? Look at the line-up today. Could you really expect a reasonable chance of winning a game against with that line-up?

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 05:19 PM)
Point which irritates regarding Williams is he's been more than willing to hand out prospects for midseason trades in the past when our team was 7 games out of first. But when we're 15 games up on the second place team and almost guaranteed a playoff roster he does absolutely s***.

chemistry

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Sep 1, 2005 -> 12:39 AM)
Joe Randa would not have been brought in to be a backup.

How do you know that? I can't see the Sox just benching Crede. Also, everyone knew Randa at the time had back problems. Combined with Crede's back problems, I bet they would have split time between them.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 06:40 PM)
Could you really expect a reasonable chance of winning a game against with that line-up?

No, most teams aren't going to put up many runs with their 1-3 hitters on the bench. As far as your first argument goes it's different. They've slumped big time the last 2 weeks and your using a complete package to show that, the weren't playing amazing ball since the beginning of july but they sure as hell weren't playing bad till this recent stretch.

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 06:42 PM)
chemistry

:lolhitting

this and "where would he play" has replaced Robbie Alomar jokes for things on this board that make me snicker every time i see them!!

By the way, I'm dissapointed in the lack of Robbie Alomar jokes during both trade deadlines....

QUOTE(Tadahito15 @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 06:43 PM)
This is from WSI so take it for what its worth: Supposedly on the baseball show on XM radio said the White Sox were close to aquiring walker. However, this source had also said we basically had Ibanez and Pedro Feliz so dont get your hopes up. Dont shoot the messenger.

The XM radio source might as well be the mlb message boards.