how we learned to stop worrying and love fathom

Chifananthony

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 06:44 PM)
No, most teams aren't going to put up many runs with their 1-3 hitters on the bench.  As  far as your first argument goes it's different.  They've slumped big time the last 2 weeks and your using a complete package to show that, the weren't playing amazing ball since the beginning of july but they sure as hell weren't playing bad till this recent stretch.

As I said, they have been average for 2 months.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you win, chemistry is great. If you lose, the chemistry is supposed to be bad. It happens in every sport. A perfect example was the Georgia Tech basketball team in 2003-2004 and then 2004-2005. With basically the same group of players, they were supposed to have amazing chemistry in the first year when they were real good and made the championship game. Then, the next year, when they struggle, everyone says they had bad chemistry.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 05:46 PM)
If you win, chemistry is great.  If you lose, the chemistry is supposed to be bad.  It happens in every sport.  A perfect example was the Georgia Tech basketball team in 2003-2004 and then 2004-2005.  With basically the same group of players, they were supposed to have amazing chemistry in the first year when they were real good and made the championship game.  Then, the next year, when they struggle, everyone says they had bad chemistry.

Each team is different. Look at the big red machine. Bench hated Rose and Rose hated Bench. The two best players. Yet they put it aside to play ball. Who cares if they have towel fights in the shower and play pranks on each other?

QUOTE(Chifananthony @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 06:56 PM)
Im predicting NO DEAL, and we lose the division by one game, and become the biggest embarrassment in this city's baseball history. FIFTEEN GAMES UP AND LOSE THE DIVISION. THIS REALLY SUCKS.

I am assuming you are saying we wouldnt get the WC either then?

QUOTE(Chifananthony @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 07:56 PM)
Im predicting NO DEAL, and we lose the division by one game, and become the biggest embarrassment in this city's baseball history. FIFTEEN GAMES UP AND LOSE THE DIVISION. THIS REALLY SUCKS.

God damn, why even watch?

I seriously couldn't watch a team play with this attitude.

QUOTE(Chifananthony @ Sep 1, 2005 -> 12:56 AM)

Up 3 runs with 5 outs to go to make it to the World Series is far more embarrassing, especially with the amount of attention the Cubs had in 2003. Trust me, the national media doesn't care enough about the White Sox to make this into such a huge story. If we do blow a 15 game lead, we deserve to be trashed though.

QUOTE(Chifananthony @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 06:56 PM)

If we lose this lead the team deserves to be the laughing joke of major league baseball.

I believe the far more realistic scenario will be a sweep in the 1st round of the playoffs. This team needs to begin picking up the intensity immediately entering Septermber. You can't expect any club, especially one with an offense as embarrassing as ours, to limp into the playoffs and magically turn up the intensity.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 06:58 PM)
Yes, but that's what I'm saying.  We've played like s*** the last 2 weeks but we weren't playing bad before that like some of you guys are trying to make it seem.

The problem is this terrible play doesn't seem like its going to go away soon. They beat a Minnesota team twice without 3 of its top players, and beat a team that's 20 under .500 twice, once because a rookie outfielder already sent back down had an unbelievable night, before being awful again with the exception of a second game of a DH, with another rookie paving the way with a masterful pitching performance, while the Sox beat a guy making his major league debut. Considering how they have played at home, and they had not done too well at home before the 7 game losing streak, there are a lot of things to be concerned about.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 08:00 PM)
Up 3 runs with 5 outs to go to make it to the World Series is far more embarrassing, especially with the amount of attention the Cubs had in 2003.  Trust me, the national media doesn't care enough about the White Sox to make this into such a huge story.  If we do blow a 15 game lead, we deserve to be trashed though.

According to ESPN the White Sox don't even exist. If the Sox end up losing the division the national media will ignore it just as they do with everything else that involves the White Sox.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 07:01 PM)
If we lose this lead the team deserves to be the laughing joke of major league baseball.

I believe the far more realistic scenario will be a sweep in the 1st round of the playoffs. This team needs to begin picking up the intensity immediately entering Septermber. You can't expect any club, especially one with an offense as embarrassing as ours, to limp into the playoffs and magically turn up the intensity.

The way the season has played out is very similar to 2000 where your scenerio took place.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 06:58 PM)
Yes, but that's what I'm saying.  We've played like s*** the last 2 weeks but we weren't playing bad before that like some of you guys are trying to make it seem.

We havent hit in a month.

Our pitching and defense have played like crap in two weeks.

There is a difference. I expect our pitchers and our defense to be fine. I have no faith what-so-ever in our offense.