how we learned to stop worrying and love fathom

Chifananthony

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Sep 1, 2005 -> 03:52 AM)
Why is that?

I don't know, it's just a feeling I have that I would rather just sit back and enjoy the playoff games if we make it. Since you never know if/when you'll get back, I'd rather not feel the need to analyze every single pitch. The one thing I never wanted to do is make my fellow Sox fans think that I'm not rooting for the Sox. And while I'm in the spotlight, I wanted to apologize for all the Timo sexual jokes I made this year. I honestly had no clue they were being received so poorly, and all it took was one person to ask me to stop for me to do so.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 11:00 PM)
I don't know, it's just a feeling I have that I would rather just sit back and enjoy the playoff games if we make it.  Since you never know if/when you'll get back, I'd rather not feel the need to analyze every single pitch. The one thing I never wanted to do is make my fellow Sox fans think that I'm not rooting for the Sox.  And while I'm in the spotlight, I wanted to apologize for all the Timo sexual jokes I made this year.  I honestly had no clue they were being received so poorly, and all it took was one person to ask me to stop for me to do so.

i don't even expect a gamethread to be allowed during the game.

your undivided attention has to be on a playoff game.

I'm sick of hearing about the 69 Cubs.

We may blow it but I don't think we're choking. That lineup we had out there today was a very ordinary baseball team.

We at this moment do miss Maggs, Thomas, Lee and the reduced production of our guys with sore backs!

We are not chokers. We are what we are.

I still think we're gonna win the division. If we get in the playoffs we're only gonna win if Mark, Freddie and Jon pitch well and we catch the ball.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 10:05 PM)
The only reason I wont be at the game threads is because hopefully I will be at the park.

But I honestly understand what your saying, and I think thats really good, just sit back and enjoy.  :cheers  :cheers

That brings up the question: Who's going to pick me up down here to take me to the playoff games? :P

Why do SO MANY posters here think that Kenny Williams should take the blame if something goes awry? Because he couldn't add a major bat in "our year", and he wouldn't pay "whatever it takes"? I find quite a few things wrong with this. First off, if it's our year, it'll be our year regardless, no trade or acquisition will change that. Secondly, do you really want to pay whatever it takes for something that will guarantee absolutely nothing? I know I sure as hell don't. Why? Do you really want to be looking back on a trade like this:

11/14/03 The San Fransisco Giants acquired C A.J. Pierzynski from the Twins for Ps Joe Nathan, Boof Bonser and Francisco Liriano.

A year or two later, ESPECIALLY if the Sox wound up losing anyway? Think about that, right now, the Giants could have a bonafide closer AND 2 up and coming starting pitching prospects, but instead of that what do they have? Well, they've got A.J. Pierzynski...oh wait, WE have A.J. Pierzynski. So they have absolutely nothing but their own stupidity to show for that trade. It's just not worth it when the asking price is too high.

QUOTE(Chifananthony @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 08:09 PM)
With all the hoopla about this special season, it all comes down to this. If KW does not bring us a quality bat by the deadline the organization has failed us. This Griffey thing smaks of the sox not wanting to take enough of his salary to consumate a deal. Where there's a will there's a way. I could care less about prospects. When u have a chance to go to the series u do whatever it takes to get those players. Even if u overpay its understood. IF WE DO NOT GET HELP WE WILL NOT MAKE THE PLAYOFFS, AND THIS WOULD BE A BIGGER CHOKE JOB THAN THE '69 FLUB CHOKE. KENNY DONT LET US DOWN!!!!!!

Chill out Rook, you're gonna get a heart attack

How's this for a prediction: The 2007 White Sox team is the year we're building towards, and this year happened as a fluke. While we've had a great season so far, I don't think this team has enough to win the World Series. However, our team in 2007 should give us another great chance at competing for the World Series.

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 1, 2005 -> 12:37 AM)
How's this for a prediction:  The 2007 White Sox team is the year we're building towards, and this year happened as a fluke.  While we've had a great season so far, I don't think this team has enough to win the World Series.  However, our team in 2007 should give us another great chance at competing for the World Series.

You're scaring the s*** out of me. I'm actually enjoying reading your posts. :o

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 1, 2005 -> 12:37 AM)
How's this for a prediction:  The 2007 White Sox team is the year we're building towards, and this year happened as a fluke.  While we've had a great season so far, I don't think this team has enough to win the World Series.  However, our team in 2007 should give us another great chance at competing for the World Series.

I tend to agree with this, but that is the exact same thing that was said during the 2000 season.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Sep 1, 2005 -> 05:41 AM)
You're scaring the s*** out of me. I'm actually enjoying reading your posts. :o

Well, the last few days, I've taken a step back and looked at the big picture. What I see is a 2005 team that completely overachieved in the first half of the season, and is now slumping heading down the stretch. In reality, this is about a 85-90 win team. I'm just grateful that we have meaningful games for the rest of the regular season, and quite possibly the playoffs. I said this a month ago before the slump, but this Sox team being in the position they've been all season is the greatest sports surprise of my life so far (by greatest, I mean best). You look at the Cubs roster, and they're much more talented than the Sox. However, their season is already over, and the rest of the season is meaningless. How fun was it for the handful of us following the Indians game tonight?

QUOTE(whitesoxfan99 @ Sep 1, 2005 -> 05:42 AM)
I tend to agree with this, but that is the exact same thing that was said during the 2000 season.

Yes, but we actually have good starting pitchers now. I also think that KW has improved greatly since that time, and even if he happens to get fired, I'm very confident that his possible replacement (you know who) would do the job.

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 1, 2005 -> 12:44 AM)
Well, the last few days, I've taken a step back and looked at the big picture.  What I see is a 2005 team that completely overachieved in the first half of the season, and is now slumping heading down the stretch.  In reality, this is about a 85-90 win team.  I'm just grateful that we have meaningful games for the rest of the regular season, and quite possibly the playoffs.  I said this a month ago before the slump, but this Sox team being in the position they've been all season is the greatest sports surprise of my life so far (by greatest, I mean best).  You look at the Cubs roster, and they're much more talented than the Sox.  However, their season is already over, and the rest of the season is meaningless.  How fun was it for the handful of us following the Indians game tonight?

I agree 100%. Hell just the fact that we get to watch THIS TEAM play meaningful games this late in the season is so unbelievable. Watching the Indians game today was great, the games have more meaning, you can actually watch other games with intent because they directly affect the Sox.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Sep 1, 2005 -> 05:49 AM)
I agree 100%. Hell just the fact that we get to watch THIS TEAM play meaningful games this late in the season is so unbelievable. Watching the Indians game today was great, the games have more meaning, you can actually watch other games with intent because they directly affect the Sox.

You look at the talent on the Indians squad, as well as their very underrated pitching staff...and you wonder how in the world this team ever got 15 games up on them. I mean that as a compliment to our players, as I honestly think the Indians are one of the 5 best teams in baseball.

BTW, my "projected" 2007 starting rotation is:

- Buehrle

- Garland

- Garcia

- Cotts ( I bet we give him a shot to start games again)

- McCarthy

If, for some reason, these 5 guys can fill these roles, you'd have a lot of chips to use in order to attract offensive help.