THIS IS AWSOME

hi8is

check out CLICK HERE TO CHECK IT OUT!DISCOVER MUSIC

you type in an artist you like, and based on a database that these computer music nerds have compiled... they create a radio station which plays similar stuff.

its much more badass and pinpointed then i discribe.

say, you type in TOOL... they start of with a tool song, when that song is done playing, they pick something which is similar in musical qualities and play it:

"On January 6, 2000 a group of musicians and music-loving technologists came together with the idea of creating the most comprehensive analysis of music ever.

Together we set out to capture the essence of music at the most fundamental level. We ended up assembling literally hundreds of musical attributes or "genes" into a very large Music Genome. Taken together these genes capture the unique and magical musical identity of a song - everything from melody, harmony and rhythm, to instrumentation, orchestration, arrangement, lyrics, and of course the rich world of singing and vocal harmony. It's not about what a band looks like, or what genre they supposedly belong to, or about who buys their records - it's about what each individual song sounds like.

Over the past 5 years, we've carefully listened to the songs of over 10,000 different artists - ranging from popular to obscure - and analyzed the musical qualities of each song one attribute at a time. This work continues each and every day as we endeavor to include all the great new stuff coming out of studios, clubs and garages around the world.

It has been quite an adventure, you could say a little crazy - but now that we've created this extraordinary collection of music analysis, we think we can help be your guide as you explore your favorite parts of the music universe.

We hope you enjoy the journey.

Tim Westergren

Founder

The Music Genome Project "

Meh, my first experience with the service has been underwhelming. :angry:

Seems like it will be very cool though.

And, seeing how friends can freely share stations with nonsubscribers, on the off chance anybody puts together a station based on an artist input of Zappa, Rundgren, xtc, Belew, Costello, Big Star, Bowie, Material Issue, Aimee Mann, Beatles and then sort of happens to share the link to the station with me that would be tits. :cheers :D

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Sep 1, 2005 -> 11:13 AM)
Meh, my first experience with the service has been underwhelming.  :angry:

Seems like it will be very cool though.

And, seeing how friends can freely share stations with nonsubscribers, on the off chance anybody puts together a station based on an artist input of Zappa, Rundgren, xtc, Belew, Costello, Big Star, Bowie, Material Issue, Aimee Mann, Beatles and then sort of happens to share the link to the station with me that would be tits.  :cheers  :D

your missing out.....enjoying every second of my time with this music genome thingy :P

QUOTE(Spiff @ Sep 1, 2005 -> 11:16 AM)
only 10 hours free though :chair

Yeah, but if this thing is as great as it is seemingly going to be, then the subscription price is not too bad.

I entered in "Hanoi Rocks" and it came up with nothing. So I went with "Faces" and ended up with The Doors being the second song. I hate the f***ing Doors. I guess it thinks I like "Oldies" and not straight up RnR. I'll see what song three is.

Hahahahaha!!! It needs work for sure! I switched my station and put in "Marillion". Marillion is a Progressive Rock band along the lines of Genesis, Yes and all those other great Prog bands.

So what do we get as a second song???

Aldo Nova - Fantasy!!! LOL!!! Granted, my ears perked up and I went "Ooo, I haven't heard this in YEARS"!

But there is a VERY good reason it has been years. :huh:

It's confused. It gave me another Marillion song for number 3. :D Same album as the first song. They must only have 1 Marillion album. Maybe I'll send them some MP3's.

Edited by Kid Gleason