Hazing

Steff

An 18 year old high school student is a child.

You can call anything anything...doesn't necessarily make it so. And why stop at 18? Why not protract adolescence to 25, 30? Afterall many 30yo live with their parents....

Just because you can blame an unsuspecting parent doesnt automatically make that parent responsible...at least no more or less "responsible" than they should be for the kind of gas their "child" chooses to fill up his/her car with, etc.....Unless those parents were aware of their "kids"' intentions that day and chose not to act, lay off.

Plain and simple...check that, it's far from being "simple", nothing is in this world....but knee-jerk, self-righteous parent-bashing will lead you nowhere.

Based on what you're saying then, children at any age should be tried the same as an adult? I don't agree with that. If you want to live with your parents for the rest of your life that's fine, but until the law recognizes you as a legal adult, the parent is responsible. I will never lay off of lazy parents that don't know or care what their kids are doing. I agree that you can't watch them all the time, but based on what these kids did, they have no respect for authority and that is taught by the parents.

Based on what you're saying then, children at any age should be tried the same as an adult?

Thanks for overstating and oversimplifying what I said...I'll go ahead and ignore the rest of your IMO presumptious post.

Wouldn't expect anything else from you. People like you are good at ignoring things and not taking responsibility for their actions.

How deep...dem ammoral liberal folks...they evil.

Hey, man, if I was a bit harsh on you...tough luck, go talk to my parents, it's their fault, they live in the same city, afterall.....my mom will be all-too-happy to hear how she done f***ed me up with her complete devotion for 20 years and strict-but-fair upbringing...shame on her.

So what did you do jail time for that you feel your parents are resposible for? I'm not talking about you because I know nothing about you and don't care to. I'm talking about the losers involved with the recent hazing. If you feel that you have no respect for authority and turned out to be a waste of life, then that's between you and your parents right now. If you make the news, then I'll bash your parents.

So what did you do jail time for that you feel your parents are resposible for? I'm not talking about you because I know nothing about you and don't care to. I'm talking about the losers involved with the recent hazing. If you feel that you have no respect for authority and turned out to be a waste of life, then that's between you and your parents right now. If you make the news, then I'll bash your parents.

Zach.. no offense to you at all.. but I kinda have to lean towards the "kids" taking the responsibility for themselves on this one. I'm hearing that 35+ of the 50 they identified so far are over 18. That in itself means if they are charged, they are going to be charged as adults. I remember the good old days of telling my grama & grampa I was going over to a friends house to "study" only to meet up at church hill for a few brews with the gang. Had I gotten caught for underage drinking I definitely wouldn't have thought of blaming them. And they were VERY strict with me. Especially in this day and age... I think a 17 or 18 year old is MORE than capable of being liable for their actions. 13 year olds are having sex for Pete's sake!! It's a different world out there. If they can handle jobs, and cars, and bills (credit card, cell phones, etc, etc..), which are adult things.. then they can handle this. JMO.

None taken. I'm just an old fashioned parent that took responsibility for my childs actions until she moved out on her own. To this day, I would say that whatever my child does is a direct relection on me and how I raised her. That's my point about being a parent and why I have no respect for these parents and hold these parents accountable for their childrens actions. It's too easy to say that I have a problem child and can't deal with him or her. If these parents had no clue this was going on, that's fine, but this has been going on for years. I questioned the beer because if they had kegs in the open like that, there was an understanding somewhere that it was ok to be drinking and driving. As a parent, I would have put a stop to that real quick. If you want to sneak beer, go for it, but I would not allow it right in front of my nose like that.

They could have found a lot of people to buy them beer.  At my high school, beer flowed freely whenever anybody wanted it pretty much at parties.  And I know that their parents didn't get it for them because a lot of the parents were not drinkers at all so they didn't have booze in the house.

And I went to a mostly upper middle class white yuppie high school too. [Providence Catholic in New Lenox]

I went to Richards.. never an issue getting beer for parties. I got a fake ID in my junior year.

Hey Steff ... I'm a Richards alum too. Class of 75.

all i can say is..if any of my kids every treated another human being that..ill know for sure i failed big time as a parent...id be humiliated if my child acted in that manner

A bunch of kids in my Educational Policy Study class all went to that school. They said that they knew that booze and stuff was a usual part of it but the feces and everything was really disturbing. (No s***, Sherlock :bang ) But they said that this sort of thing with the booze was something that happened a lot. The school works hard and they play hard is what they told me. But they were totally shocked about how far it went this year.

Its sounds more and more like Parents did buy the beer for the party. Stay tuned as a lot of heads are going to roll over this whole thing.

I'm hearing it was bought by alumni. There were many 22 - 25 year olds there. Watching their younger brothers and sisters no doubt. They must be so proud.

By the way, I've been to this forrest preserve for BBQ's in years past and where they were was at the end of the winding entrance road. From what I remember it's about 500 yards from the entrance. And hidden enough by trees and other cars that had there been no incident no one would have found them or the beer.

all i can say is..if any of my kids every treated another human being that..ill know for sure i failed big time as a parent...id be humiliated if my child acted in that manner

I absolutely agree...except that being "humiliated" is different from being "responsible" let alone "punished".

If I have a son and he goes out and, even if jokingly, knowingly harms peoples' minds or well-being, there is no way I let him slide, same DNA or not. If he is varsity HS age and pulls a stunt like that hazing, I won't feel "humiliated" as much as "enraged"...which means his car, TV, vacation, etc priviliges would be gone and a college fund would be "diminished". If he does something like that again, he is dead to me.

As per Tennessee Williams, deliberate cruelty is unforgivable.

Ok, here's my two cents...

I don't think that disallowing them prom or graduation is enough! That's just a slap on the hand...no big deal. They should be expelled and have to repeat their senior year at the very least year. But if I had a choice of what they were to do, they'd be working on the chain gang while incarcerated until they are 25.

Is anyone worried that some cub fan is scheming right now?

the next home game against KC isn't til august....but I'm afraid of some "fecal attack" on a player or something

freakin' monkeys...

Let the real SOX fans police the unruly cub fans and I promise you there won't be any more problems. History of attendance will prove who the cub fans are & that will justify the means by which real SOX fans choose to police them :bang

As for the hazing incident, I'm so sick & tired of this woman's lib s***.

I think the punishment should be for all the instigators to participate in the Octagon against the UFC bad boys. Save the time & $ for the state to participate. Winner defines innocent or guilty.

Or we can just line them up for one big massive spanking machine of men.

:bringit

As for the hazing incident,  I'm so sick & tired of this woman's lib s***.

But men never do anything inhumane, right? ;) And I'm sure your female acquaintances love it when you speak caveman to them. :bringit

I've got to go. Trapped by the swirling voices. I only have a few minutes.

She appreciates a man being a man & woman being a woman. So she expects me to open doors, push in chairs, or the pleasantries, manners, & politeness of a gentleman. But she also expects me to defend her honor & get in someone's face if need be. In fact that she cheers me on in that respect.

However; when it comes to a debate and her view is different from mine, she's a very stubborn woman. It's best just to say "ok dear".

Later, have a good night.

Keep in mind this is a message board. I'm not like this in real life.

I keep most of my opinions to myself in the real world. But that's why the internet's God greatest gift to man. It allows our alter-ego to emerge.