Tyson Chandler Re-signs

Chicago Bulls re-sign Tyson Chandler

Bulls News | Sept. 1, 2005

The Chicago Bulls announced today the team has agreed to terms with restricted free agent forward/center Tyson Chandler for a long-term contract. Per team policy, terms of the agreement were not disclosed.

InsideHoops.com will report the terms of the contract Friday morning.

“We’re very happy that we have come to terms with Tyson and that he will remain a member of the Chicago Bulls. In this business, things don’t always happen at the pace you would like, but I knew from the onset that we would make this happen and Jeff Schwartz played a key role in the negotiations,” said Executive Vice President of Basketball Operations John Paxson. “Tyson’s play last season was an important factor to our success and we hope to take the next step forward with Tyson being a major contributor to our team. He is fully aware of our commitment to him and he understands his responsibility to the organization, our front office and his teammates.”

The 7-1, 235-pound Chandler played in a career-high 80 games last season with the Bulls and averaged 8.0 ppg and career-highs of 9.7 rpg (9th in NBA), 1.76 bpg (13th in NBA) and 27.4 mpg. He also shot .494 from the field and a career-best .673 from the free throw line. He led the team in rebounding in 53 games, scored 10+ points 30 times, grabbed 10+ rebounds on 36 occasions and registered a team-best 21 double-doubles. His 693 rebounds in a reserve role was an NBA-best (9.9 avg), as was his 131 rejections (1.87 avg). In six playoff contests last season, he posted averages of 11.7 ppg, 9.7 rpg, 2.17 bpg and 1.3 apg in 28.7 mpg.

“I’m ecstatic that this contract is done,” said Chandler. “To know that I will be in Chicago for the next six years is definitely a dream. Since I’ve been in Chicago, the city has been my home and it feels so good to go home.”

Chandler’s agent Jeff Schwartz, President of Excel Sports Management said, “This is the outcome we were working towards, Chicago is a great city and John is taking the team in the right direction. I am thrilled for Tyson to begin the next chapter of his career with the Bulls.”

In four NBA seasons, Chandler has appeared in 261 games, including 117 starts, and averaged 7.6 ppg, 7.3 rpg, 1.40 bpg and 23.7 mpg, while shooting .500 from the floor and .637 on free throws. He has 47 double-doubles and is currently seventh in team history for blocked shots (383). He was originally selected by the L.A. Clippers in the first round (2nd overall) of NBA Draft 2001 before his draft rights were traded by the Clippers, along with Brian Skinner, to the Bulls for Elton Brand on June 27, 2001

It's also on RealGM.

QUOTE(Pale Hose Jon @ Sep 1, 2005 -> 11:39 PM)
Over 10 million a year, that's rediculas, you might as well keep that money and sign several guys. By the end of this deal, he better be worth that money.

The only thing that is ridiculous is your spelling of the word ridiculous.

About damn time I get to correct someones spelling. :)

QUOTE(Pale Hose Jon @ Sep 1, 2005 -> 10:39 PM)
Over 10 million a year, that's rediculas, you might as well keep that money and sign several guys. By the end of this deal, he better be worth that money.

90% of the players in the league are overpaid. That's just the way it is. But there's not too many guys out there that can do what Chandler does. He's seriously capable of leading the league in rebounds and blocked shots.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Sep 1, 2005 -> 11:57 PM)
10 million a year is a bit much for someone who didn'y even start most games...he'll be worth it though. Easily capable of 12 pts, 12 bpards, 4 BS.

in the NBA just being 6'10'' or taller and not tripping over your own feet when you run nets you $7 million per year. so the defensive skills and hustle got Chandler that extra 3.

QUOTE(AirScott @ Sep 2, 2005 -> 01:04 AM)
in the NBA just being 6'10'' or taller and not tripping over your own feet when you run nets you $7 million per year.  so the defensive skills and hustle got Chandler that extra 3.

Hmmm, I got 7 more inches to go...