Valido Blurb

DBAHO

From their Daily Dish;

High Class A Winston-Salem shortstop Robert Valido led the Warthogs to a 7-6 win against Kinston Wednesday afternoon. Valido, who was voted Most Exciting Player in the Carolina League in BA's Best Tools survey, went 3-for-5 with a homer and two RBIs. "He can do it all," Kinston manager Luis Rivera said. "He's the player you want at the plate with the game on the line; he's the player you want the ball hit to late in the game. He does everything on the field the right way. There might be better hitters in this league and there might be better fielders, but for me, Valido is the guy. He is a true baseball player." On the season, Valido is hitting .288/.322/.420 in 486 at-bats.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Sep 2, 2005 -> 12:46 PM)
So does that translate into a solid 30 plus SB guy in the majors?

Well, I'd like to see how he does in AA. Most of the catchers in the lower levels are about as proficient at stopping good baserunners as a piece of paper is at stopping a bullet.

Oh, and don't forget about the high number of pitchers without MLB-quality moves to keep guys close...

Edited by Randar68

QUOTE(OilCan @ Sep 2, 2005 -> 01:54 PM)
To the experts........

Compare Juan Uribe's defense to a projected upside of Robert Valido's....what's the comparison?

Valido is much quicker laterally and looks a lot more smooth. Uribe has a better arm and Valido doesn't always show his off like Uribe seems to do. Valido has a 3/4 arm slot but is quick and get's the ball off very fast. Again, he makes things look much easier than Juan (partly because Juan is so stocky and built that he appears "lumbering"...

Valido = greater range and athleticism and more capable of getting a good throw off on the move laterally. Superb instincts, always makes the "right" play...

Uribe = stronger arm. Takes more chances, not always the "smart" play.

Didn't he test positive for steroids earlier in the season? Nevermind, found it.

Major League Baseball announced 11 more minor leaguers from four organizations have been suspended after testing positive for performance-enhancing substances, headlined by three players with major league experience, a highly-regarded White Sox prospect, and a former Japanese League player. All 11 are first-time offenders and received 15 game suspensions.

The top prospect on the list is White Sox shortstop Robert Valido, who turns 20 in four days and was ranked the No. 14 prospect in the organization by Baseball America in the offseason. A fourth-round pick in 2003 out of Coral Park High in Miami, Valido was batting .313-3-14 with 11 stolen bases in 31 games for high Class A Winston-Salem in the Carolina League.

Edited by aboz56

Yep, unfortunately he made "The List"........whatever he did, I'm sure he learned his lesson and has moved forward.

I'll say this though, that might have been a small motivator in wanting to prove himself this year, and boy, has he done so. IMO, he's back on the radar screen.

QUOTE(OilCan @ Sep 8, 2005 -> 12:09 PM)
Yep, unfortunately he made "The List"........whatever he did, I'm sure he learned his lesson and has moved forward.

I'll say this though, that might have been a small motivator in wanting to prove himself this year, and boy, has he done so.  IMO, he's back on the radar screen.

You're talking about Valido?

When the hell did he ever drop off the radar? :huh:

QUOTE(OilCan @ Sep 8, 2005 -> 11:09 AM)

Seriously...if this kid keeps coming up, I'm always going to turn a questionning eye towards him. I don't care how he made "The List" or what he learned from it...he broke the rules, and probably the law in some fashion.

I'm going to withhold judgement on him until a.) he's in the big leagues, b.) there's a stronger testing program in the big leagues, and c.) his performance doesn't fall off as he mysteriously loses 10 pounds.

As far as I'm concerned, suspicion from me should be part of the worry for these guys in getting caught. He's got a looooonnnnng way to go before he fully earns my trust.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 8, 2005 -> 05:28 PM)
Seriously...if this kid keeps coming up, I'm always going to turn a questionning eye towards him.  I don't care how he made "The List" or what he learned from it...he broke the rules, and probably the law in some fashion.

I'm going to withhold judgement on him until a.) he's in the big leagues, b.) there's a stronger testing program in the big leagues, and c.) his performance doesn't fall off as he mysteriously loses 10 pounds.

As far as I'm concerned, suspicion from me should be part of the worry for these guys in getting caught.  He's got a looooonnnnng way to go before he fully earns my trust.

Where is that falling poo icon? Wow. The kid is no more than 190 pounds soaking wet wearing a parka. He made his mistake and payed for it. Now, guys who are multiple offenders deserve your ire and skepticism, but to think there wouldn't be a plethora of guys getting caught by taking things they thought were safe when implementing this new policy was niave and infantile. It's the nature of starting a new system and the lack of education they've had towards it.

But hey, if you want to write a kid off who is built like Valido is and stole 52 bases while barely being caught because he took something from GNC he thought was legal, have at it. Keep living in your bunker.

QUOTE(Randar68 @ Sep 9, 2005 -> 09:30 AM)
Where is that falling poo icon?  Wow.  The kid is no more than 190 pounds soaking wet wearing a parka.  He made his mistake and payed for it.  Now, guys who are multiple offenders deserve your ire and skepticism, but to think there wouldn't be a plethora of guys getting caught by taking things they thought were safe when implementing this new policy was niave and infantile.  It's the nature of starting a new system and the lack of education they've had towards it. 

But hey, if you want to write a kid off who is built like Valido is and stole 52 bases while barely being caught because he took something from GNC he thought was legal, have at it.  Keep living in your bunker.

Several points in response...first, there are many steroids people can take which don't make people inflate like Barry Bonds...in fact, Rafael Palmeiro may very well have chosen "Winstrol" entirely because it's not supposed to make your body explode in a way that can be seen.

I didn't say I'm going to write the kid off...but I'm going to view him with some skepticism until he shows me that he can stay clean for several years...He says that he did something from a supplement, but that's exactly what everyone says.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 9, 2005 -> 03:27 PM)
Several points in response...first, there are many steroids people can take which don't make people inflate like Barry Bonds...in fact, Rafael Palmeiro may very well have chosen "Winstrol" entirely because it's not supposed to make your body explode in a way that can be seen.

I didn't say I'm going to write the kid off...but I'm going to view him with some skepticism until he shows me that he can stay clean for several years...He says that he did something from a supplement, but that's exactly what everyone says.

So when the policy was implemented (BTW, minor league testing has been done for a couple years before this year) and people are taking things and been tested previously, you don't think there is going to be a glut of them who keep taking them and turn out testing positive because of a false sense of security?

It was a careless mistake in not double-checking EVERYTHING, but we're talking about a 20 year-old kid here.

Then again, I guess we should look at things in the dark cloud world where you are, where every action or reaction is due to some lie or alterior motive. Wow. I'd hate to live life with that outlook, but, whatever makes you happy...

Edited by Randar68