Haggling with car salesmen

3E8

No matter if you love the car and would take a ride in it over saving your own mother, don't show it, say 'it was okay'. Go with the intention of leaving, make him believe you'd get the car that day, but if you leave, he'll prob come back with a good deal, but an even better deal will probably come if you walk out, to which you'll be guaranteed to be called 3 times a day. I guess the best days are during the week, maybe a Wed night?

Also, I HIGHLY SUGGEST SHOPPING AROUND ONLINE! Online managers give great deals, all the dealers these days have a website and can allow you to request a quote. Print it out, and in the last case scenario where you need the car, bring that as well. If you know, give expected monthly payments and all info (lower than what you really want) Also, do the same with similar cars of other companies to the one you want, they will suddenly have another time to meet with a manager as you bring up a competitors name. No matter what, they'll be profiting, don't let them push you around, remember that you are the customer. Also, I wouldn't do the '24 hour' test drive stuff because it's more pressure to buy the car.

This all depends on the kind of car though, the company, demand, deals, all that

QUOTE(ChiSoxyGirl @ Sep 2, 2005 -> 09:43 AM)
When I bought my car I went in, told him how much I wanted to spend total, how much I was putting down and told him to show me what was in my price range. I didn't haggle, I just told him exactly what I wanted and would pay upfront; I think I got a good deal.

I consider this to be a mistake. I used to sell vacuums for a living. If you go in with a price in your head...the single last thing to do is tell the salesman what it is you're willing to pay, because then the Salesman immediately knows whether or not he has you or not. If you tell him a price that is $500 above the minimum he's willing to sell that car for...he'll try to work you over for another $100 or so knowing full well that he has room to fall back on if things turn bad. And if you tell the guy a price, you'll never, ever see a lower one.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 3, 2005 -> 03:53 PM)
I consider this to be a mistake.  I used to sell vacuums for a living.  If you go in with a price in your head...the single last thing to do is tell the salesman what it is you're willing to pay, because then the Salesman immediately knows whether or not he has you or not.  If you tell him a price that is $500 above the minimum he's willing to sell that car for...he'll try to work you over for another $100 or so knowing full well that he has room to fall back on if things turn bad.  And if you tell the guy a price, you'll never, ever see a lower one.

Really? He took me through the entire lots' inventory that was under and right up to my price range. Drove three cars, only one of which mildly approached my spending limit. I do think that it helped though, that I came in with quotes from other dealers, and a taking no s*** attitude.

Got a better car than I was initially looking for and spent less than I was thinking of spending.

Getting a good deal on a car loan will help you a lot in the long run. Pay close attention to the interest rate cause thats where they can bite you and you wont even know it. Mine is only 4.52% and thats whats keeping my payments under 300 a month.

Edited by NUKE_CLEVELAND

QUOTE(ChiSoxyGirl @ Sep 3, 2005 -> 10:15 PM)
Really? He took me through the entire lots' inventory that was under and right up to my price range. Drove three cars, only one of which mildly approached my spending limit. I do think that it helped though, that I came in with quotes from other dealers, and a taking no s*** attitude.

Got a better car than I was initially looking for and spent less than I was thinking of spending.

Quotes from other dealers are a good thing, because you can tell them what someone else is offering as a method of pushing the price down...sometimes.

Do not put all of your cards on the table first. If you have a quote from another dealer...hold onto it and don't put it out first. Once the dealer you're talking to makes an offer on the vehicle...take the better offer of the 2 and use it to try to talk down the price on the other one.

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Sep 4, 2005 -> 01:19 AM)
Getting a good deal on a car loan will help you a lot in the long run.  Pay close attention to the interest rate cause thats where they can bite you and you wont even know it.  Mine is only 4.52% and thats whats keeping my payments under 300 a month.

Amen, because of my credit score and that I was able to finance for the shorter loan period I qualified for a 2.99% loan. It was amazing and I'm grateful for that every time I write out my car note.

Another key mistake is concentrating on the monthly payment. If you tell them you can afford $300/month, they'll monkey around with other figures (interest rate, length of the loan, etc.), still get you to your figure, but it won't be the best deal for you.

When I bought my first new car many years ago, my parents weren't in town to co-sign and I wanted to do it alone. I told them I could afford about $300/month and ended up with a deal for a new Accord at $306 a month. Problem is, it was for 66 months instead of 60, costing me an extra $1800!

Depending on what you are looking for, I have found that if you buy a reliable car that lasts a long time it is better to buy used. Find a car that is a little over 3 years old and has 25,000 - 50,000 miles on it (the less the better). Many cars are built well enough to consistently last 150,000 miles or more if you take care of them. Let someone else take on the initial depreciation. Also, it is often times better to find a car that had been leased, as they tend to be taken care of a little better.

Also, there are used car dealers that deal at wholesale prices. It helps if you know someone that is familiar with such a dealership and can vouch for them. A few years ago, a Nissan dealership sales manager recommended a used car dealer downtown for me. He called the owner and told him I was coming. I ended up buying a Lexus ES300 in very nice condition that was three 1/2 years old and had 45,000 miles on it. With an extended warranty to 100k miles, I paid less than I would have for a new Accord LX.

Shop, take your time, don't be afraid to walk away and come back later, research online (edmunds.com and kbb.com are very helpful) and be fair. If you want to buy new, find the car you want and tell you will offer X dollars and allow them to take it or leave it. Being patient, educated and asking for recommended dealers or salespeople are probably the biggest ways to help yourself.

QUOTE(3E8 @ Sep 2, 2005 -> 08:39 AM)
How do you:

A.  Know how much under the sticker to shoot for?

B.  Come off like you are in control of the situation?

C.  Translate haggling to monthly lease price?

Shoot for invoice and than if the company offers rebates you get them on top of roughly invoice price on the vehicle. To find invoice price go to www.carsdirect.com