Konerko a finalist for Hank Aaron Award

Gene Honda Civic

QUOTE(letsgoarow @ Sep 2, 2005 -> 02:43 PM)
according to every SOX fan on here he sucks... but according to the mlb he is a top five offensive performer in the american league.. just a thought

I love Pauly. Just not a $12M Pauly. I hope he's back next year, just not with a ridiculous contract.

The 12 finalists were chosen from among 30 nominees, one from each Major League Baseball Club, by a special panel assembled by Major League Baseball, MLB.com and Century 21 Real Estate. During August, fans voted for one of three players from each team via the Club's official Web site, and the leading vote getter from each team became one of the 30 Club nominees. The winners of the 2005 Hank Aaron Award presented by CENTURY 21® will be announced during a press conference prior to Game Four of the 2005 World Series.

Fans choose from the finalists.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Sep 2, 2005 -> 02:46 PM)
I love Pauly. Just not a $12M Pauly. I hope he's back next year, just not with a ridiculous contract.

I'm fine with $12M a year pauly. I just don't want to give him a long term deal. I know he won't stand up to the wear and tear of 162+ games for much longer. 2 years with mutual options for 3 and 4 would be fine with me. Noting guaranteed beyond 2 though.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Sep 2, 2005 -> 02:52 PM)
I'm fine with $12M a year pauly. I just don't want to give him a long term deal. I know he won't stand up to the wear and tear of 162+ games for much longer. 2 years with mutual options for 3 and 4 would be fine with me. Noting guaranteed beyond 2 though.

What I'm thinking is along with a $12M per would be atleast 4 years. If it were 2 years $24M, I might just pull the trigger.

Not sure if i'd put Paulie in the same category as those. You need to be able to hit for average, IMO, to be one of the best all around hitters in the game. Kone doesnt do that. Not sure how high Teixeria's average but I didnt think it was that high...maybe .280 but nothing like what A-Rod or Vlad can do.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Sep 2, 2005 -> 02:54 PM)
What I'm thinking is along with a $12M per would be atleast 4 years. If it were 2 years $24M, I might just pull the trigger.

In my dream world, I imagine a deal like this getting worked out.

2006: $10M

2007: $12M

2008: Player option $12M; Team Option $14M; Buyout $2M

2009: Player option $14M; Team Option $15M; Buyout $3M

That would be a guarateed 2/$24M.

The Sox could say they offered him 4/48, with a guaranteed 2/24.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Sep 2, 2005 -> 03:09 PM)
In my dream world, I imagine a deal like this getting worked out.

2006: $10M

2007: $12M

2008: Player option $12M; Team Option $14M; Buyout $2M

2009: Player option $14M; Team Option $15M; Buyout $3M

That would be a guarateed 2/$24M.

The Sox could say they offered him 4/48, with a guaranteed 2/24.

And after that first year, if someone else comes along that the Sox like more at 1B you could deal Konerko who would have $14M and 1 year remaining on his contract along with 2 option years, a team would be willing to take that on.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Sep 2, 2005 -> 02:46 PM)

$12 million dollar Paul is fine with me.

He's a great hitter, and the Sox shouldnt really flinch before resigning him..

I'd much rather Paul Konerko at that price than Ken Griffey Jr. at any price (especially the high price tag he has).

PK is actually a Top 5 1B in the Majors, it may not seem like that, but he is.

1. D. Lee .344, 104 R, 39 HR, 94 RBI

2. A. Pujols .334, 111 R, 35 HR, 100 RBI

3. M. Teixeira .287, 94 R, 34 HR, 108 RBI

4. R. Sexson .261, 80 R, 32 HR, 97 RBI

5. P. Konerko .273, 80 R, 32 HR, 82 RBI

These five are also the only 5 1B's with over 80 runs, 30 HR's, and 80 RBI's. If you consider that Pujols and Teixeira have better offensive teams, then the stats are comparable. Granted Lee and Pujols are in a league of their own with their high averages, but Konerko holds his own.

Only 13 players are batting over .300 in the AL, and none over .330, so the averages are all down from recent history.

I don't know who everyone expects to replace PK if he leaves. He is only 29 yrs old, so a longer deal would not be that big of a risk because he could always play DH in a couple of years if needed.

Just my 2 cents.

QUOTE(WinninUgly @ Sep 3, 2005 -> 11:54 AM)
These five are also the only 5 1B's with over 80 runs, 30 HR's, and 80 RBI's.  If you consider that Pujols and Teixeira have better offensive teams, then the stats are comparable.  Granted Lee and Pujols are in a league of their own with their high averages, but Konerko holds his own.

If he didnt have a bad first half of the year averagewise, he would be even higher than #5.

I honestly think the Cubs are going to be our biggest competition when it comes to resigning Paulie.. D. Lee is as good as gone with the Yanks being quoted as saying they are going to offer him a massive contract... I could definately see them trying to outbid us for our team leader in a PR move...

Edited by Jeckle2000

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Sep 3, 2005 -> 08:19 PM)
I honestly think the Cubs are going to be our biggest competition when it comes to resigning Paulie.. D. Lee is as good as gone with the Yanks being quoted as saying they are going to offer him a massive contract... I could definately see them trying to outbid us for our team leader in a PR move...

Lee isn't a free agent after this year. I am almost positive.

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Sep 3, 2005 -> 08:39 PM)
Now I could of sworn that I heard about the Yankees making signing Derrick Lee their top priority...

Yeah, I just checked. If this site is correct he isn't a FA until after next year. http://www.mlb4u.com/0607FA.html

Maybe they are going to try to trade for him?