Konerko a finalist for Hank Aaron Award

Gene Honda Civic

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Sep 3, 2005 -> 03:19 PM)
I honestly think the Cubs are going to be our biggest competition when it comes to resigning Paulie.. D. Lee is as good as gone with the Yanks being quoted as saying they are going to offer him a massive contract... I could definately see them trying to outbid us for our team leader in a PR move...

I'm expecting it to be Boston, not the Cubs..

And it might just be me, but I would be fine with signing Paul to a 10+ million contract..

Also, Derek Lee is signed with the Cubs for more this just this year. And with Gload wanting out (I guess at least) and a weak FA market for 1b, I would much rather see Konerko get resigned than let him loose.

Edited by Felix

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Sep 2, 2005 -> 03:09 PM)
In my dream world, I imagine a deal like this getting worked out.

2006: $10M

2007: $12M

with a guaranteed 2/24.

I am a bit slow most of the time. But after about 5 times keyed into my cackalator this still adds up to 2/22 guaranteed .

right?!?

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Sep 2, 2005 -> 08:09 PM)
In my dream world, I imagine a deal like this getting worked out.

2006: $10M

2007: $12M

2008: Player option $12M; Team Option $14M; Buyout $2M

2009: Player option $14M; Team Option $15M; Buyout $3M

That would be a guarateed 2/$24M.

The Sox could say they offered him 4/48, with a guaranteed 2/24.

I'd rather have the draft picks than give Paul Konerko that type of money.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Sep 4, 2005 -> 04:28 AM)
Can I ask what your dream scenario would be for the WHITE Sox this off-season, professor?

Well this post wasn't mean spirited or anything...

Anyways, It's too early to lay out the entire off season at this point, nor should I or anyone want to considering last time i checked.. this season was still going on.. but the one thing I am certain of is that I would rather take draft picks than pay a first baseman of Paul Konerko's caliber the money GHC suggested.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Sep 3, 2005 -> 11:44 PM)
Well this post wasn't mean spirited or anything...

Anyways, It's too early to lay out the entire off season at this point, nor should I or anyone want to considering last time i checked.. this season was still going on.. but the one thing I am certain of is that I would rather take draft picks than pay a first baseman of Paul Konerko's caliber the money GHC suggested.

I believe that's called ducking around the question.

Just because this season is still going on doesn't mean you can't start looking towards next season, GMs do it, why can't the fans?

I think that the Sox may really be in trouble in this offseason if JR doesn't show enough willingness to increase salary.

Garland is arbitration eligibile, and sure as all hell better get a multi-year deal while we've got the Chance.

AJ is arbitration eligible, and sure as all hell better get a multi-year deal while we've got the chance.

Crede is arbitration eligible, and is in line for a bonus himself.

Carl Everett has an option for next year.

Each of those leads to a fairly decent increase in the team's total salary if it is picked up.

That leaves 2 other guys who may be coming off the books...#14 and #35.

If we want to hold on to either of those guys...the salary for this team is going to have to go up a lot. If we don't hold on to them...the offense that has already struggled this season may take another step backwards next year.

Roster:

56 Mark Buehrle, 52 Jose Contreras, 46 Neal Cotts, 34 Freddy Garcia, 20 Jon Garland , 32 Dustin Hermanson, 26 Orlando Hernandez, 45 Bobby Jenks, 43 Damaso Marte, 41 Brandon McCarthy, 18 Cliff Politte, 65 David Sanders, 51 Luis Vizcaino, 31 Raul Casanova, 12 A.J. Pierzynski, 36 Chris Widger, 27 Geoff Blum, 17 Ross Gload, 1 Willie Harris, 15 Tadahito Iguchi, 14 Paul Konerko, 38 Pablo Ozuna, 5 Juan Uribe, 23 Jermaine Dye, 8 Carl Everett, 7 Timo Perez, 22 Scott Podsednik, 33 Aaron Rowand

Let walk:

Timo Perez, Carl Everett, Paul Konerko, Geoff Blum*

Resign/Arbitration:

A.J. Pierzynski, Pablo Ozuna, Willie Harris, Neal Cotts, Jon Garland, Cliff Politte, Ross Gload, Luis Vizcaino, Joe Crede, Frank Thomas, Chris Widger.

Already Resigned:

Mark Buehrle, Jose Contreras, Freddy Garcia, Dustin Hermanson, Orlando Hernandez, Bobby Jenks, Damaso Marte, Brandon McCarthy, Tadahito Iguchi, Juan Uribe, Jermaine Dye, Scott Podsednik, Aaron Rowand.

Free Agents to sign:

Bill Mueller - 2 yr, 5 mil (06: 3 mil, 07: 2 mil)

Rafael Furcal - 3 yr, 30.0 mil w/ team & player options for 09. (06:9.0 mil, 07:10.0 mil, 08:11.0 mil)

Michael Tucker - 1 yr, 750k

Trading Joe Crede and Willie Harris packaged with mid to upper prospects to land Lyle Overbay would be a priority aswell.

If something could be done with Texas for Michael Young using Jose Contreras and a whole lot more, there would obvioulsy be no Furcal signing.

Just briefly typing this up, and without any trades or any Uribe/Ozuna like pick-ups, my line-up would idealy look something like this:

Furcal, Young ss

Iguchi 2b

Rowand cf

Overbay 1b

Thomas dh

Pierzynski c

Dye rf

Mueller 3b

Podsednik lf

or w/ Gload dhing

Furcal, Young ss

Iguchi 2b

Rowand cf

Overbay 1b

Dye rf

Pierzynski c

Mueller 3b

Gload dh

Podsednik lf

Uribe if

Gload 1b/of

Tucker of

Widger c

1. Buehrle

2. Garcia

3. Garland

4. Hernandez

5. McCarthy

Baj, Vizcaino, Cotts, Hermanson

Politte, Marte

Jenks

Just rough, and I'm a little upset right now, so I won't even look over it, but something along these lines I'd think is what I would like to do.