John Rooney will not be returning

Nokona

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Nokona @ Sep 2, 2005 -> 04:42 PM)
AM 1000 just reported that Ed Farmer will have a new partner in the booth next year.  Apparently Rooney will not be going over to the score per White Sox decision.

This is absolutely terrible.

I quit White Sox Nation.

WTF? who's the genius behind this decision? :angry:

QUOTE(Nokona @ Sep 2, 2005 -> 06:42 PM)
AM 1000 just reported that Ed Farmer will have a new partner in the booth next year.  Apparently Rooney will not be going over to the score per White Sox decision.

This is absolutely terrible.

I quit White Sox Nation.

Yeah, I also heard that - that's a shame.

He's such an easy listen, and I wish he was doing Sox games for the next 10 years.

All I know is they better get somebody from outside that station - I don't want to hear Jesse Rogers or some other Mike North pet getting that position.

QUOTE(spiderman @ Sep 2, 2005 -> 04:46 PM)
Yeah, I also heard that - that's a shame.

He's such an easy listen, and I wish he was doing Sox games for the next 10 years.

All I know is they better get somebody from outside that station - I don't want to hear Jesse Rogers or some other Mike North pet getting that position.

I wonder if Dave Wills is on his way back.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Sep 2, 2005 -> 04:48 PM)
This is shocking. I heard Rooney had a chance to go to St. Louis a couple of years ago, but remained loyal to the White Sox. I rarely listen to the games on the radio, but he's been an institution.

fan movement to keep him in town? Worked when there were whispers about getting rid of Vin Scully in LA.

QUOTE(rangercal @ Sep 2, 2005 -> 05:50 PM)
I bet the score wants steve stone to take his place. Though, I love stone, not at Rooneys expense, I will boycott the score from now.

Maybe DJ doing play by play in the 8th inning, is being groomed to be the radio PBP guy, with Stone taking over the color on TV?

QUOTE(rangercal @ Sep 2, 2005 -> 06:50 PM)
I bet the score wants steve stone to take his place. Though, I love stone, not at Rooneys expense, I will boycott the score from now.

How would that work ? Two color guys basically...Farmer has done some play by play, but that would be 2 guys talking over each other.

I love Stone, and think this would be a more than acceptable replacement....

I'd love Rooney back for years to come, but it isn't happening - so if they get Stone, I'd be ok with that.

QUOTE(longshot7 @ Sep 2, 2005 -> 06:53 PM)
a terrible decision.  I guess being named the best duo on radio in USA Today didn't help after all.  Can someone email Brooks about this?

I'd like to hear the reasoning behind this decision....

If it isn't about money (which is what usually anything is about), then why would the Score be interested in changing directions ? It's not like Rooney is controversial or anything like that, he's such a professional at his job.

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Sep 2, 2005 -> 05:52 PM)
do you think Stone would put up with the Hawk?

Yes. I don't think Hawk has nearly as huge of ego as some people do. Stone has a serious knowledge of the game, and being an ex-pitcher offers a different perspective. I really think Hawk's favorite partner was Don Drysdale, an ex-pitcher with a great deal of knowledge, and an ego. Those 2 disagreed a lot, but respected each other. I think Hawk respects Stone's knowledge of game.

QUOTE(spiderman @ Sep 2, 2005 -> 06:53 PM)
I think McNeil basically said that the management was kind of embarassed by his whole 'I hate anything Cubs's act...wasn't that the point McNeil made ?

He only went along with what a lot of fans liked to hear. Sox fans hate the cubs. He didn't need to get fired, just change his approach a bit.

Huge mistake by the Sox.

Best radio play by play man in the business and they are letting him go?

My hunch is that this has to be a money issue and the Sox aren't going to pony up the cash (as usual) to keep him.

This really is a travesty.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Sep 2, 2005 -> 07:56 PM)
Ya, we all believe you after you promised us you were going to go off about Reed last year. :rolly  :P

I'm just joking by the way, boz. :cheers

You've got my word that serious questions into this will be posed by yours truly.

I brushed the Reed stuff behind due to the fact that we got AJP, Hermanson and others last offseason. Had we not, I probably would have asked about it.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Sep 2, 2005 -> 06:56 PM)
Yes. I don't think Hawk has nearly as huge of ego as some people do. Stone has a serious knowledge of the game, and being an ex-pitcher offers a different perspective. I really think Hawk's favorite partner was Don Drysdale, an ex-pitcher with a great deal of knowledge, and an ego. Those 2 disagreed a lot, but respected each other. I think Hawk respects Stone's knowledge of game.

So what do you think is going to happen here ?

Farmer and who in the radio booth ?

Stone and Hawk on TV ? I'd love that, but I'd be shocked.