John Rooney will not be returning

Nokona

I guess I look at this a different way. THe score was going to provide him a modest increase, he has the right to refuse it and go on. Its the american way. Thats the way the business world works. You could be mad at Rooney for not accepting the deal. He is getting a raise.ITs his choice, not the scores. I think many of you if will find out this is the way the world works if you have not done so already. By the way I have worked for the same company for 15 years. They owe me nothing if they cut me tommorrow for any reason.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well,I realize everyone likes Rooney, so do I. THis is business. He could accept what the score was offering or he has the choice to move on. Same in any other business in america. I realize that listening to the same guy for 18 years is a big deal. Its no different than losing ball players to free agency. It didn't work out. They will move on, get another guy, and if the sox are good nobody will give a s***. If melton does it or Stone does it, than in a year everything will be fine. I think its just business.

QUOTE(whitesoxin' @ Sep 3, 2005 -> 03:32 PM)
Am I the only one who didn't particularly like his broadcasting style? I'm not angry about this decision.

Not the only one. I didn't dislike him, but I am not crazy about him either. Now Farmer, I would haven't have been heartbroken if they got rid of him.

QUOTE(whitesoxin' @ Sep 3, 2005 -> 03:32 PM)
Am I the only one who didn't particularly like his broadcasting style? I'm not angry about this decision.

I never listened to the radio. I've only heard Rooney and Farmer in Sox commercials.

I don't mind DJ at all, but it'd be cool if he could be the 2nd guy on the radio, and we get someone else in the TV booth. I don't see it happening like that though.

TO ALL THE PEOPLE JUMPING TO CONCLUSIONS-

Rooney's favorite team growing up = Cardinals

Cardinals moving to a new station and word is that they are not happy with Wayne Hagin (post Todd Helton statements) and Rooney would fit perfectly in St. louis. Give it some thought- I believe Rooney is calling the shots and heading down south.

QUOTE(palehose23 @ Sep 3, 2005 -> 04:24 PM)
TO ALL THE PEOPLE JUMPING TO CONCLUSIONS-

Rooney's favorite team growing up = Cardinals

Cardinals moving to a new station and word is that they are not happy with Wayne Hagin (post Todd Helton statements) and Rooney would fit perfectly in St. louis.  Give it some thought- I believe Rooney is calling the shots and heading down south.

You're forgetting that some people have all the inside information :P

It's funny how people refuse to reserve judgement before receiving all the facts.

QUOTE(quickman @ Sep 3, 2005 -> 01:36 PM)
I guess I look at this a different way. THe score was going to provide him a modest increase, he has the right to refuse it and go on. Its the american way. Thats the way the business world works. You could be mad at Rooney for not accepting the deal. He is getting a raise.ITs his choice, not the scores. I think many of you if will find out this is the way the world works if you have not done so already. By the way I have worked for the same company for 15 years. They owe me nothing if they cut me tommorrow for any reason.

they trained you good

:headshake

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 3, 2005 -> 11:42 PM)
So if we took up a collection here @ Soxtalk to give Rooney a bonus...does anyone think it would help?

Maybe if we could raise 100K, but probably not considering we'd have to raise that amount every year.

Edited by Dam8610

QUOTE(quickman @ Sep 3, 2005 -> 02:36 PM)

He wasn't getting an increase, he was going to be taking a paycut from what I understand.

He wasn't getting an increase, he was going to be taking a paycut from what I understand.

I heard differently, that it was a small increase but not what Rooney wanted for a 5 year commitment. And that's what led him to consider other options.

QUOTE(JimH @ Sep 4, 2005 -> 12:01 PM)
I heard differently, that it was a small increase but not what Rooney wanted for a 5 year commitment.  And that's what led him to consider other options.

Whatever the case may be, although I am pretty confident in what I know about this whole story, the offer was obviously a slap in the face. He's been with the club 18 years. He is, in my view, the best radio pbp guy in the business and the USA Today poll reflected that as well. Whether it was a pay cut, a small raise, whatever the case may be, he did not want to leave the White Sox. Like anyone else in business, if you are not paid fair market value, you are forced to look at other options. It is unfortunate that the new home of the the Sox, "The Score", is too cheap to realize this. Their White Sox radio contract just because a whole lot less valuable without John Rooney. The replacement they get can only hope to one day achieve the level of his greatness on the air, which I never see happening.

QUOTE(the People's Champ @ Sep 3, 2005 -> 09:19 PM)
they trained you good

:headshake

actually they have paid me for the years I put in. Other than that they owe me nothing. My choice to work there. I can shop around for a better deal at another company if I want to, otherwise, I shut up and do my job.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Sep 4, 2005 -> 11:33 AM)
Whatever the case may be, although I am pretty confident in what I know about this whole story, the offer was obviously a slap in the face.  He's been with the club 18 years.  He is, in my view, the best radio pbp guy in the business and the USA Today poll reflected that as well.  Whether it was a pay cut, a small raise, whatever the case may be, he did not want to leave the White Sox.  Like anyone else in business, if you are not paid fair market value, you are forced to look at other options.  It is unfortunate that the new home of the the Sox, "The Score", is too cheap to realize this.  Their White Sox radio contract just because a whole lot less valuable without John Rooney.  The replacement they get can only hope to one day achieve the level of his greatness on the air, which I never see happening.

i disagree, quite frankly he has the choice of accepting the offer or not. he chose not to you. I am really not understanding the loyalty to a radio announcer. He announces the game. He does a good job but so can others. Its the game and the team we should be worried about, not the announcer. I thought Steve Stone was good, he got fired, life goes on, people move on, people get fired, its really not the end of the world. People will still listen and people will still watch.

Aboz wait till they let buerhle go one day, and it will happen.

i disagree, quite frankly he has the choice of accepting the offer or not. he chose not to you. I am really not understanding the loyalty to a radio announcer. He announces the game. He does a good job but so can others. Its the game and the team we should be worried about, not the announcer. I thought Steve Stone was good, he got fired, life goes on, people move on, people get fired, its really not the end of the world. People will still listen and people will still watch.

Aboz wait till they let buerhle go one day, and it will happen.

Spoken like a true old guy who remembers all the old time announcers.

:bang