John Rooney will not be returning

Nokona

QUOTE(spiderman @ Sep 2, 2005 -> 07:58 PM)
So what do you think is going to happen here ?

Farmer and who in the radio booth ?

Stone and Hawk on TV ? I'd love that, but I'd be shocked.

It'll be Dave Wills IMO with Farmer.

Hopefully they keep Dolgin on the pregame, but I don't see that happening either.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(spiderman @ Sep 2, 2005 -> 05:58 PM)
So what do you think is going to happen here ?

Farmer and who in the radio booth ?

Stone and Hawk on TV ? I'd love that, but I'd be shocked.

I was just speculating DJ's 8th inning PBP that he does now may be grooming him to do PBP on the radio next season. I don't know anything, but anything is possible.

Everyone is saying that it was the Sox's decision not to bring back Rooney, but the article on chicagosports.com made it seem like it was Rooney's decision to leave. Maybe he wants to do ESPN full time, there's probably more money doing national work.

Rooney, who teamed with Farmer for the past 14 seasons, notified the Score and the White Sox that he will not return to the booth in 2006, leaving WSCR searching for a replacement.

Edited by Adam G

USA Today's top radio broadcast team in the American League will be no longer after the 2005 season.

WSCR-AM 670 and the White Sox announced Friday that former All-Star pitcher and veteran radio broadcaster Ed Farmer has agreed to terms on a five-year extension and will remain as one of the voices of the White Sox when they move to the Score in 2006, but teammate John Rooney will not.

Rooney, who teamed with Farmer for the past 14 seasons, notified the Score and the White Sox that he will not return to the booth in 2006, leaving WSCR searching for a replacement.

Rooney was with the White Sox for 18 seasons, the last 17 with play-by-play duties on radio. Recently he has done national broadcasts for ESPN radio during the playoffs.

The Score and the White Sox announced a new five-year agreement on June 16 to have WSCR serve as the team's exclusive flagship radio station beginning in 2006. Under the agreement, the Score will broadcast 15 spring training and 162 regular-season White Sox games during each of the next five seasons.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Sep 2, 2005 -> 06:00 PM)
I was just speculating DJ's 8th inning PBP that he does now may be grooming him to do PBP on the radio next season. I don't know anything, but anything is possible.

that would really suck if DJ became the play by play man on the radio, i dont like it when he does it, with his uh oh!!! home run calls. this truly is a real, real bummer. no more rooney? this makes no sense at all. :huh

:gosox1:

QUOTE(3 BeWareTheNewSox 5 @ Sep 2, 2005 -> 07:08 PM)
SAD f***ING DAY

If this has anything to do with the Sox pushing this, they are biggest retards on planet Earth, I would personally go down to front office and punch someone in the face

Then you'd be arrested, put in jail and make all Sox fans look bad.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Sep 2, 2005 -> 05:51 PM)
Maybe DJ doing play by play in the 8th inning, is being groomed to be the radio PBP guy, with Stone taking over the color on TV?

Hawk is notoriously think skinned. He pushed Wimpy out the door and he treats DJ like crap at times. I can't see Hawk and Stone coexisting in the same booth.

QUOTE(EvilJester99 @ Sep 2, 2005 -> 08:44 PM)
Rooney is the best one out of all of the annoucers....WTF can they be thinking?? That is a terrible idea. If it is Rooney's choice than that still sucks ass but best of luck to him no matter what he is doing....

I would venture to guess it was not his choice. He has been with the club 18 years, he's had chances to go to other teams and has remained loyal to the Sox. My guess is that the White Sox didn't want to pony up the cash necessary to keep him around. (Raise your hand if you're not surprised.)

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Sep 3, 2005 -> 01:13 AM)
We should have Mac, Jurko, and Harry announce our games I remember they started it once for some reason when our games were being announced on another station and they were hilarious.... im kidding btw although it would be funny.

Bad..Bad...Bad....This does not surprise me for two reasons...One, the Sox have as much PR savy as a neonazi organization. I find it somewhat ironic that they make this announcement on the same day that they are sponsoring 'Mullet Night'.

Second, remember that the club is getting a lot less money from the radio rights fees. You know that this is boiling down to the almighty dollar, and when you consider the list of popular anouncers that have left town, Caray, Paciorek, Wills and now Rooney, anouncers in the little wotld of Jerry Reinsdorf are very expendable.

So let me get this straight. USA Today recognize them as the top team in the AL and the White Sox decide not to keep them on? Totally f***ed up. I'm not the biggest Hawk fan and DJ is fingernails on a blackboard so Ed & John is the broadcast that I look foward to. TRULY SAD. This makes me even feel worse than Frank being placed on the 60-day DL.

I don't know why everyone's jumping to the conclusion that either the Sox didn't pony up enough money to keep him around, or they actually pushed him out. For all any of us know it was Rooney's decision to retire, or at least get away from broadcasting 162 games a year. Get your facts straight before you start talking about how the Sox made the stupidest mistake ever, and how you're going to go to Soxfest and punch management in the face.

QUOTE(WSFAN35 @ Sep 2, 2005 -> 10:44 PM)
I don't know why everyone's jumping to the conclusion that either the Sox didn't pony up enough money to keep him around, or they actually pushed him out.  For all any of us know it was Rooney's decision to retire, or at least get away from broadcasting 162 games a year.  Get your facts straight before you start talking about how the Sox made the stupidest mistake ever, and how you're going to go to Soxfest and punch management in the face.

Some of us know more than you think we know.

We'll leave it at that.