John Rooney will not be returning

Nokona

BTW, there was a quote from Brooks saying that Rooney said specifically he wouldn't work for what is being offered.

Obviously, they were lowballing the guy and now Brooks is trying to put that out there to lighten the bashing the Sox are going to take over this.

Personally, I think you pay the man what he wants, he is a legend of White Sox broadcasting, he's been with the Sox 18 years.

Don't come out with your little quotes trying to roll him through the dirt Brooks, I thought you were better than that.

This is just a total botched move by the Sox altogether.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Ozzie Montana @ Sep 2, 2005 -> 09:20 PM)
According to some callers on 670,  a couple years ago at SoxFest, John Rooney said that going to the Cardinals radio would be his dream.  Also he is from Richmond Missouri so the possibility of him going to the Cardinals are not bad.  Good Luck Roon and whatever you do, have fun. :cheers

I believe he actually was offered the St. Louis radio job a couple of years ago and turned it down.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Sep 2, 2005 -> 10:04 PM)
From the story on the team's website, Boyer said it was Rooney's decision to move on. And it appears the reason he is moving on is money related.

Im sorry but this is so bulls***. Give him his damn money. My god. My opinon of Brooks has officialy nose dived a ton. Edited by White Sox Josh

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Sep 3, 2005 -> 03:44 AM)
Im sorry but this is so bulls***.  Give him his damn money.  My god.  My opinon of Brooks has officialy nose dived a ton.

You know damn well that this was a money decesion. Any money decesions are Reinsdorf decesions. Unfortunatley, Jerry is such a coward he will hide behind his lackeys who will take the heat instead of him. In this case it will be Boyer.

QUOTE(chisoxt @ Sep 2, 2005 -> 10:49 PM)
You know damn well that this was a money decesion. Any money decesions are Reinsdorf decesions. Unfortunatley, Jerry is such a coward he will hide behind his lackeys who will take the heat instead of him. In this case it will be Boyer.

Money seems to be at the heart of the matter. According to industry sources, the Sox's new radio deal with WSCR is substantially less than the current one with WMVP-AM 1000. As part of the new pact, the team reportedly wanted to ensure that neither Rooney nor Farmer would be subjected to pay cuts that could occur with reduced rights.

timing of the announcement, though, seemed to catch Rooney by surprise.

"Other people, I guess, knew this before I did," Rooney said when asked about the news. "I don't know why they made the announcement now."

As for pursuing other options, Rooney has no specific plans about his future after this season ends.

"I don't, not right now," Rooney said. "I know I'm going to finish out this season, go to the end of the year and see what's out there. I can do a lot of other stuff other than baseball, football and basketball."

Still, baseball isn't out of his realm of plans. Rooney said that he would look at ways to stay within the game.

"I love baseball," Rooney said. "ESPN TV does baseball. FOX, I have an association with them. I still have good ties with a lot of people."

Something stinks from the Whitesox side of this.

I don't know why everyone's jumping to the conclusion that either the Sox didn't pony up enough money to keep him around, or they actually pushed him out.  For all any of us know it was Rooney's decision to retire, or at least get away from broadcasting 162 games a year.  Get your facts straight before you start talking about how the Sox made the stupidest mistake ever, and how you're going to go to Soxfest and punch management in the face.

But ... But ... But ....

It wouldn't be SoxTalk if all these people didn't COMPLETELY OVERREACT without knowing the whole story.

I get a real kick out of everybody here who immediately blames the White Sox, when it could very well be John making a career choice.

Some of us know more than you think we know.

We'll leave it at that.

Let's not Alex.

From what I know, Rooney is a little tired of all the summer travel. From what else I know, he can make just as much money doing more with national baseball and ESPN work, and travel less.

There are two sides to every story.

http://whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/ar...t=.jsp&c_id=cws

Negotiations between The Score and Rooney's agent ... Rooney saying he wants to do other things ... Boyer saying it was Rooney's decision alone ... all of which tells me there are two sides to this story.

Edited by JimH

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Sep 2, 2005 -> 11:55 PM)

timing of the announcement, though, seemed to catch Rooney by surprise.

"Other people, I guess, knew this before I did," Rooney said when asked about the news. "I don't know why they made the announcement now."

As for pursuing other options, Rooney has no specific plans about his future after this season ends.

"I don't, not right now," Rooney said. "I know I'm going to finish out this season, go to the end of the year and see what's out there. I can do a lot of other stuff other than baseball, football and basketball."

Still, baseball isn't out of his realm of plans. Rooney said that he would look at ways to stay within the game.

"I love baseball," Rooney said. "ESPN TV does baseball. FOX, I have an association with them. I still have good ties with a lot of people." 

Something stinks from the Whitesox side of this.

I'm guessing that Infinity Broadcasting was not going to let Rooney "moonlight" doing other sports and other baseball games like ESPN had been allowing him to do.

The other announcing gigs helped to suppliment his income with the Sox job.

He quit so that he could find a better situation doing PBP that would allow him to "moonlight".

He knows like we do that he is a very popular radio voice.

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Sep 2, 2005 -> 10:44 PM)
Im sorry but this is so bulls***.  Give him his damn money.  My god.  My opinon of Brooks has officialy nose dived a ton.

Brooks didn't have a damn thing to do with this. I don't know how much you think a vice president of marketing does.

this is the quote from chisox.com:

"He said, 'I want to explore other things; I want to do other things. I'm not going to work for what is being offered to me.'" Boyer said

somebody didnt offer him enough

the quote earler in this thread reads like it was the score that didnt offer enough... do perhaps sox and score have to split pay somehow?

Edited by toasty

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Sep 3, 2005 -> 12:49 AM)
Brooks Boyer, White Sox vice president of marketing and broadcasting.

Huh....the Sox site doesn't list that for him. I even double checked. :P

They list broadcasting in his little profile, but not on the page.

Anyways, I doubt this was mainly Brooks decision.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Sep 2, 2005 -> 10:55 PM)
Huh....the Sox site doesn't list that for him. I even double checked. :P

They list broadcasting in his little profile, but not on the page.

Anyways, I doubt this was mainly Brooks decision.

no doubt about it. It actually surprises me that Brooks is even brought up, given Reinsdorf's history with Sox broadcasters. Any decision like this goes through him, and none of us know how much Rooney was asking for. He's a damn good announcer, though. Sorry to see him go.

Edited by The Ginger Kid

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...cs-home-utility

Money seems to be at the heart of the matter. According to industry sources, the Sox's new radio deal with WSCR is substantially less than the current one with WMVP-AM 1000. As part of the new pact, the team reportedly wanted to ensure that neither Rooney nor Farmer would be subjected to pay cuts that could occur with reduced rights.

It seems as if Rooney, however, wasn't able to get much of an increase from the station. Top radio play-by-play men in the major leagues make upward of $400,000.

Farmer on play by play shoot me! :puke.........f*** WSCR the score :finger

Edited by Soxfest

QUOTE(Soxfest @ Sep 3, 2005 -> 12:03 AM)
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...cs-home-utility

It seems as if Rooney, however, wasn't able to get much of an increase from the station. Top radio play-by-play men in the major leagues make upward of $400,000.

Farmer on play by play shoot me! :puke

Nice to see that the Sox (Brooks) tried to get Rooney to stay. What can you do?