John Rooney will not be returning

Nokona

Of the four announcers, Rooney was the best, though I enjoy Ed Farmer a lot too. I wouldn't think this is a Sox management decision. Doesn't the SCORE decide who's going to get paid what based on their bottom line?

Speaking of replacements, what about Robin Ventura? I know he did some TV when the Hawk was out. I didn't hear enough of him to make much of a judgment and I heard a few negative comments about his broadcasting skills, but maybe he could grow into the job. Besides, there's hardly a more popular former Sox player than Robin.

At any rate, best wishes, John Rooney. You were one of the best. :notworthy

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Sep 2, 2005 -> 06:48 PM)
I would venture to guess it was not his choice.  He has been with the club 18 years, he's had chances to go to other teams and has remained loyal to the Sox.  My guess is that the White Sox didn't want to pony up the cash necessary to keep him around. (Raise your hand if you're not surprised.)

God damnit.

I am really, really disappointed in the White Sox. Just when things start to look up and the organization has a chance to make a name for itself, they simply let the best broadcaster in sports radio walk? Are you kidding me?

This is the kind of s*** that serves as fodder for those like Cubkilla that look for ways to lambast the Sox and their penny-pinching ways.

This is inexcusable.

Inexcusable.

God damnit.

I am really, really disappointed in the White Sox.  Just when things start to look up and the organization has a chance to make a name for itself, they simply let the best broadcaster in sports radio walk?  Are you kidding me? 

This is the kind of s*** that serves as fodder for those like Cubkilla that look for ways to lambast the Sox and their penny-pinching ways.

This is inexcusable.

Inexcusable.

How is this the White Sox' fault?

Rooney couldn't come to terms with The Score.

QUOTE(JimH @ Sep 3, 2005 -> 10:20 AM)
How is this the White Sox' fault?

Rooney couldn't come to terms with The Score.

Well, I suppose I was under the impression that the White Sox organization chose their broadcasters via Brooks Boyer; I always thought that was the norm.

If, in fact, this is the Score's fault, I don't think I would be so angry. They are a second-rate outfit. That's not news. They can't afford the best broadcaster in the game. No shock there...Welcome to the Score.

Well, I suppose I was under the impression that the White Sox organization chose their broadcasters via Brooks Boyer; I always thought that was the norm.

If, in fact, this is the Score's fault, I don't think I would be so angry.  They are a second-rate outfit.  That's not news.  They can't afford the best broadcaster in the game.    No shock there...Welcome to the Score.

Ian, the stories in today's papers back up what's been said here by a few people, the Score hires the announcers, the White Sox merely sign off.

Rooney was in negotiations with the Score, not the White Sox.

If there's anger to be directed, it's at the Score.

I suspect they have someone in mind already, and yes, he will probably come cheaper than Rooney.

QUOTE(JimH @ Sep 3, 2005 -> 10:38 AM)
Ian, the stories in today's papers back up what's been said here by a few people, the Score hires the announcers, the White Sox merely sign off.

Rooney was in negotiations with the Score, not the White Sox.

If there's anger to be directed, it's at the Score.

I suspect they have someone in mind already, and yes, he will probably come cheaper than Rooney.

Well, this comes as news to me. I retract my previous statement.

I'm sure this is simply the first of many disappointments from our new home for White Sox baseball, 670 the Score.

From previous posts I thought that it was the Sox that controlled the hiring and firing of broadcasters and the radio or tv stations merely signed off on it. It seems that it is just the opposite.

I imagine that during negotiations with the Score the issue of broadcasters came up. I would guess that this decision had probably been made the second the deal was made. JMO of course.

From previous posts I thought that it was the Sox that controlled the hiring and firing of broadcasters and the radio or tv stations merely signed off on it. It seems that it is just the opposite.

I imagine that during negotiations with the Score the issue of broadcasters came up. I would guess that this decision had probably been made the second the deal was made. JMO of course.

It pretty much was confirmed the issue of broadcasters came up during White Sox negotiations with the Score.

The Sox wanted to keep both Rooney and Farmer and ensure they didn't get a pay cut ... if we believe what Boyer said in today's paper. I have no reason whatsoever to doubt Brooks Boyer. I believe what he says.

The Score came to terms with Farmer, and not Rooney. Farmer IMO was an easier sign for the Score ... personally I feel Farmer has far less options in broadcasting than Rooney.

This all seems pretty simple to me.

Rooney wanted more money, and I don't blame him. The Score didn't want to pay him more than they offered. Breakdown and game over.

Rooney is a great announcer, I will miss listening to him and I wish him the very best in whatever he chooses to do next. And believe me, he will have choices, which is deep down the heart of this issue.

QUOTE(JimH @ Sep 3, 2005 -> 11:11 AM)
Rooney wanted more money, and I don't blame him.  The Score didn't want to pay him more than they offered.  Breakdown and game over.

That's the problem--Score f***ed up here. Pay Mike North more than a million a year yet break negotiations with a true broadcasting talent? If they felt retaining Rooney wasn't necessary, then I hope they find quality talent on the market willing to work for us.

Time to steal someone from a small market.

I sure as hell doubt Stone would step down from his position on ESPN to broadcast White Sox games. And neither do I believe anyone one the score is fitting for the position. I won't be very pleased unless Score management can find a somewhat (nearly impossible to find an equal replacement) comparable talent.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Sep 3, 2005 -> 12:22 PM)
That's the problem--Score f***ed up here. Pay Mike North more than a million a year yet break negotiations with a true broadcasting talent? If they felt retaining Rooney wasn't necessary, then I hope they find quality talent on the market willing to work for us.

Time to steal someone from a small market. 

I sure as hell doubt Stone would step down from his position on ESPN to broadcast White Sox games. And neither do I believe anyone one the score is fitting for the position. I won't be very pleased unless Score management can find a somewhat (nearly impossible to find an equal replacement) comparable talent.

but Stone does work for the score. So they might not have to pay him that much to do color on the games. I think Stoney will be in the booth for the Sox next year.

QUOTE(JimH @ Sep 3, 2005 -> 12:11 PM)
It pretty much was confirmed the issue of broadcasters came up during White Sox negotiations with the Score.

Just to get things straight are the announcers employees of the radio station or the sox? who signs the paychecks? Or does all that change based on the contracts with the stations.

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Sep 3, 2005 -> 11:24 AM)
but Stone does work for the score.  So they might not have to pay him that much to do color on the games.  I think Stoney will be in the booth for the Sox next year.

Stone is normally in the station one day a week. Other two he calls from a phone and gives interviews. These interviews rarely go beyond 20 minutes. If he's broadcasting games for the Sox, we'll need total commitment.

I just can't believe Stone would step down from TV to radio full time.

First, I always thought it was the teams responsibility to pay broadcasters so I hope I'm understanding this right. However, it amazes me that you don't find the money to keep a broadcasting duo together after they are rated the best in the league. Here's one: how about cutting North's paycheck to something that isn't ludicrous and give a bit to Rooney, North sucks anyway.

QUOTE(marsh @ Sep 3, 2005 -> 12:25 PM)
Just to get things straight are the announcers employees of the radio station or the sox? who signs the paychecks? Or does all that change based on the contracts with the stations.

As I understand it, the station negotiates its announcers, but management maintains the right to veto or fire them. If this is a question of money only, then it's the SCORE that is at fault.

It certainly appears it changes based on contracts with the stations.

If Rooney's agent was negotiating with the Score, seems logical to say the Score has control here.

As for who they're actually employees of, it gets grey there. Rights fees are paid to the White Sox, and there could be a set up where the radio station pays the White Sox a contracted fee to cover the broadcaster's salary/benefits/expenses and the White Sox pay that out to the broadcasters as an actual employee. Basically a paper transaction, allowing the broadcasters to be employees of a more stable entity, i.e. a major league baseball club vs. a radio station.

My personal understanding of this situation is, they are actual employees of the White Sox but their pay is entirely negotiated by the radio/tv stations. Which makes sense from the pay standpoint, seeing as Rooney is a media person, not a baseball person.

I don't know for certain but my guess is, different markets have different arrangements, depending on their contract with the TV and radio stations.

Yeah, I also heard that - that's a shame.

He's such an easy listen, and I wish he was doing Sox games for the next 10 years.

All I know is they better get somebody from outside that station - I don't want to hear Jesse Rogers or some other Mike North pet getting that position.

Rooney will be missed, sorely, but it sounded as though it was his decision to go. I have a feeling his words are still part of contract negotiations and he will be back...The thought of having Ed Farmer as the regular play-by-play guy just amazes me. He's attrocious in that role.