Ride a Strong Sept. to a WS ring

beck72

Looking back at the last 3 series winners, each had a very strong finish in September [and early Oct. in 2004]. Boston was 21-11 in Sept/oct. In 2003, the Marlins were 18-8. And the Angels were 18-9 the last month.

I like how the sox have started Sept. Strong pitching, hitting up and down the lineup, good defense. I also like how the Sox have been able to get early leads and then get some bench players in to rest the regulars. the guys stay fresh that way, while staying sharp.

This would be a nice way to finish the year and head into the playoffs. Keep it up :gosox3: :gosox4: :gosox1:

QUOTE(SnB @ Sep 3, 2005 -> 02:44 PM)
We've also been playing subpar teams

...just saying

We'll see soon enough if the sox are loading up on a team that's a little down now, by the evidence of the full Sept. record. But a strong finish couldn't hurt.

And Detroit isn't the patsy it has been in the past

"on a team that's a little down now"

Before the Sox series, their offense was scoring runs by the tons, yet now, they are inable to score more than 4 in 2 games.

And Detroit isnt that bad a team IMO.

Edited by Felix

QUOTE(Felix @ Sep 3, 2005 -> 03:08 PM)
"on a team that's a little down now"

Before the Sox series, their offense was scoring runs by the tons, yet now, they are inable to score more than 4 in 2 games.

And Detroit isnt that bad a team IMO.

Detroit's pitching has been down for a bit now. They were among the top five in ERA. Seeing how they were near .500 for a while, they are in a "down" mode now

Your comment about a strong September being critical to success in the post-season is dead on. Remember the last time the Sox were in the playoffs? Their overall record was good, but the offense went to sleep for at least the second half of September ... and it kept sleeping as they were swept by Seattle. :drink

It's too early to tell how they'll look. Those games with Cleveland still loom large in my mind. :gosox3:

QUOTE(Antonio Osuna @ Sep 3, 2005 -> 04:50 PM)
Reality check: 2-0 does not a "strong September" make.

Who said it did? This is about the last 3 WS champs who did have strong Sept. The Sox keep up this kind of play [12-3 and 9-1 wins] and it'll be a strong Sept.

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ Sep 3, 2005 -> 02:14 PM)
Each of the last 3 teams have been Wild Card winners also. And while I don't know for sure, I'd guess that they had a bit of compitition for the Wild Card spot, so they had to play well to get in and kept it going.

On the other hand...it's just as easy to offer up the example of the Cardinals of last year, who took it fairly easy down the stretch all things considered...then got into the playoffs and took out the Dodgers and Braves before running into the Red Sox juggernaut.

There's no formula to how a team should be in order to win in October. With the Marlins in 03, don't forget that they had the best record in baseball from the moment they switched managers.

It's not a question of who's hottest going into the playoffs. With a 3-0 lead last year, the Yankees looked pretty damn hot. There is no magic formula. The only thing that matters is whether or not you can win 11 games. That is all.

I don't care who they are playing. Heck, they could be playing the Stickney Little League All-Stars for 3 series in September. As long as they get used to the feeling of winning and continue to build their confidence before October. That is all that matters. WIN, BABY! And WIN often. Learn to love the feeling and EXPECT that you will win each and every day! That is where the confidence swells and how WS winners are born!

QUOTE(shoelessinva @ Sep 3, 2005 -> 06:04 PM)
I don't care who they are playing.  Heck, they could be playing the Stickney Little League All-Stars for 3 series in September.  As long as they get used to the feeling of winning and continue to build their confidence before October.  That is all that matters.  WIN, BABY!  And WIN often.  Learn to love the feeling and EXPECT that you will win each and every day!  That is where the confidence swells and how WS winners are born!

HEY, I WAS ON THE STICKNEY LITTLE LEAGUE ALL-STARS...........TREAD LIGHTLY!!!

J/K :lol: