Weis has gotten ND looking damn good

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(ChWRoCk2 @ Sep 4, 2005 -> 06:15 AM)
well one wannstedt is a s***ty coach, two notre dame recruited pretty well, and three brady quinn is a f***in stud

1 Dave Wannestedt is a s***ty NFL Head Coach he is fine in college and was great as a D-Coordinator, 2 their recruitment class this year is nothing special next year will be good.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Sep 3, 2005 -> 10:18 PM)
2 is false...

So true on #2. Its why Tyrone was fired. I really was impressed though. Run defense looked strong and offensively the team looked like it was capable of. However, Pitt isn't exactly known for their strong defense so it will be a major test next week against Michigan.

UM has a very strong offense and Henne will definately put a lot of pressure on a young, untested ND secondary. At the same time Michigan didn't look all that grand in their victory this week so it should be a pretty exciting game.

ND definately has to cut down on some of its penalties, but they were the type of penalties that can be easily cleaned up and you know Weiss won't tolerate those type of mistakes.

All in all I don't think Weiss 1st game could of went any better. At the same time, thats probably the easiest foe ND has in the next couple weeks.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Sep 4, 2005 -> 12:36 PM)
So true on #2.  Its why Tyrone was fired.  I really was impressed though.  Run defense looked strong and offensively the team looked like it was capable of.  However, Pitt isn't exactly known for their strong defense so it will be a major test next week against Michigan. 

UM has a very strong offense and Henne will definately put a lot of pressure on a young, untested ND secondary.  At the same time Michigan didn't look all that grand in their victory this week so it should be a pretty exciting game. 

ND definately has to cut down on some of its penalties, but they were the type of penalties that can be easily cleaned up and you know Weiss won't tolerate those type of mistakes. 

All in all I don't think Weiss 1st game could of went any better.  At the same time, thats probably the easiest foe ND has in the next couple weeks.

A few things:

1) Tyrone got fired for multiple reasons it wasn't just recruiting...hell i could handle not having an awesome class every year; but getting blown out in all of your losses? That's just unacceptable. Again those aren't the only reasons, but they are major.

2) You have to give Pitt's defense a little more credit, their front 4 are weak but their linebackers and secondary are seasoned. Blades is a damn good linebacker and they have some nice talent in the safety/db dept.

3) Michigan's offense was better last year. No Braylon Edwards to torch us this year (even though we did win last year...people tend to forget that). Sure, Henne is a bit more seasoned and we'll get Mike Hart for a full game this year but really the only two people that scare me on Michigan's offense is Massaqoui TE (sp?) and Breaston. Obviously both of their lines are good as well...but it's still Lloyd Carr calling the shots, I don't think Michigan runs the score up on too many good teams this year (not saying ND is, we haven't proved much yet, but still).

4) ND is very thin at corner, true. However, try running across the middle on our safeties and you will get destroyed. Zibikowski is a playmaker and Ndukwe hits HARD. That may be my biased opinion, but the talent is there...they just haven't proven anything yet. However, they're far from "young" it's not like there's a bunch of true freshman running around out there.

5) Pitt was ranked. I'd have to say MSU or Washington are an easier foe...especially since MSU is at home.

6) It's Weis, not Weiss. Get it right, Grammar Master. :P

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Sep 5, 2005 -> 10:40 AM)
fotop don't overlook Jason Avant.  He is more of a possession receiver, but Henne will find him often.  While not as xplosive as Edwards, he certainly could become the go to guy as Edwards was last year.  His first TD catch Saturday was very Edwards-like.

I agree Avant is a threat...but he's still no Edwards. With our secondary though, any above average receiver looks good. However, is he better than Greg Lee (Pitt)? I don't think so, and Greg Lee was somewhat quiet after the first quarter against us.

The reason I'm most worried about Massaqoui and Breaston is because they've done it to us in the past and they've got lots of talent (especially Breaston). They also present some mismatches, and I know Carr will probably try to exploit them. I really hope we kick away from Breaston...I'm not sure our special teams can handle him.

Needless to say, I'm extremely excited for this game. We have nothing to lose and everything to gain...and if we somehow pull this one out, our first home game will be a madhouse the week after against MSU. I'd love to see that again...it's been a few years.

QUOTE(Wedge @ Sep 6, 2005 -> 12:45 PM)
Every Michigan board I've looked at is at best apprehensive about this coming game.  It feels good to strike fear in the hearts of man, once again.

Michigan is going to get a large reality check real fast. They lost arguably the BEST receiver in their history, and all they can talk about is Avant and Breaston. Come on. Not to mention that they defense is not nearly as good as it has been, and they are swiss cheese when facing mobile QB's.

Cant wait to see OSU beat Texas this weekend.

QUOTE(thedoctor @ Sep 6, 2005 -> 01:26 PM)
i heard all this right after willingham started, too.

Too bad this isn't all smoke and mirrors like Willingham's first season. We were really lucky that season...obviously ND fans were excited but in hindsight we should have seen the letdown coming. Diedrick and Baer weren't setting the world on fire when it came to scheming. We never really "handed" it to anybody that year, and right out the gate Weis hands it to a ranked opponent on the road.

Funny thing is, everyone was like "I can't want until we get Ty's recruits into HIS system" With Weis, you don't need players to fit a system...he makes the system around you.

I can see where you're coming from with your comment, but being around this team for the last 4 years I can personally tell that this is NOT like the beginning of Ty's regime.

I am worried about this weekend's game. It helps that it as the big house.

First off, Notre Dame will NOT stop the Michigan offense.

Second off, Michigan's defense, if they played like they did on Sat, will NOT stop Notre Dame's offense.

Michigan got some turnovers and NIU shot themselves in the foot a bunch of times. Wolverines need to sew up there holes and fast.

Edited by Brian

QUOTE(Fotop @ Sep 5, 2005 -> 11:12 AM)
I agree Avant is a threat...but he's still no Edwards. With our secondary though, any above average receiver looks good. However, is he better than Greg Lee (Pitt)? I don't think so, and Greg Lee was somewhat quiet after the first quarter against us.

The reason I'm most worried about Massaqoui and Breaston is because they've done it to us in the past and they've got lots of talent (especially Breaston). They also present some mismatches, and I know Carr will probably try to exploit them. I really hope we kick away from Breaston...I'm not sure our special teams can handle him.

Needless to say, I'm extremely excited for this game. We have nothing to lose and everything to gain...and if we somehow pull this one out, our first home game will be a madhouse the week after against MSU. I'd love to see that again...it's been a few years.

no but Avant is more consistent. Braylon Edwards made some spectacular catches yet he also dropped easy passes and made bonehead plays that either cost them the game or almost did. Avant doesn't do that s***. Avant would be a good pick for the Bears next year.