Weis has gotten ND looking damn good

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Brian @ Sep 6, 2005 -> 07:40 PM)
I am worried about this weekend's game. It helps that it as the big house.

First off, Notre Dame will NOT stop the Michigan offense.

Second off, Michigan's defense, if they played like they did on Sat, will NOT stop Notre Dame's offense.

Michigan got some turnovers and NIU shot themselves in the foot a bunch of times. Wolverines need to sew up there holes and fast.

They stopped Michigan's offense last year...granted we had a little more depth (even though I think watson was out) w/tuck on the line but the same talent is pretty much there. I'm not saying we're going to shut them down, but I don't think our defense is just going to roll over. Especially if Lloyd is playing the conservative game he LOVES to play.

This game is going to come down to who protects the ball better and who controls the ground game. If ND can run the ball, they'll be able to keep the ball out of Michigan's hands (same goes for if Michigan can run the ball). The passing game should be even, both secondaries are unproven. With that said, the only thing that scares me about this game is that in the past few years the road team in this series NEVER wins, and last time we were at Michigan we got HOUSED. Needless to say, I think it's going to be different this time...I mean come on Ty had a winning record against michigan (2-1) :P

Real quick on Avant, I know he's talented but you can't say he's better than Edwards. That's just nuts.

QUOTE(Wedge @ Sep 6, 2005 -> 08:05 PM)
This is going to be one helluva game.  I don't dare predict who will win, but I'm not going to lie, I like the Irish's chances.  Fotop, did you go to ND?

I'm there currently, Wedge. This is my fourth and final year. I'm a double major in finance and history.

QUOTE(Dam8610 @ Sep 6, 2005 -> 09:41 PM)
I take it you haven't seen many Sooners/Trojans fans? It was SO cool to see Oklahoma get knocked down a peg this weekend. Top 10 game of the year IMO.

I've been around 'SC fans.

They hate UCLA more than ND.

Send them a mineral water and a salad and they are happy.

QUOTE(knightni @ Sep 6, 2005 -> 08:42 PM)
I've been around 'SC fans.

They hate UCLA more than ND.

Send them a mineral water and a salad and they are happy.

Agreed SC fans are pretty laid back. Put them in a Bowl game and they show up right before kickoff...unlike most schools that just turn the town into a college town for a week.

Michigan fans are downright brutal (not saying any of them here are). Most of the experience I've had around big state school teams (Michigan, and recently Pitt) is that they're usually extremely obnoxious and lack creativity. "f*** the Irish!" Clap,Clap,Clap is NOT something that shuts us down, and that's pretty much all they have (sans random Rudy comments, which are usually pretty irrelevant). Throwing full beer cans at us...well that works but it's not very sportsmanlike (it has happened). :lol:

As a student, you learn to accept the fact that you're the Yankees of College Football. Love us or hate us. This past weekend, I kept my mouth shut outside of the standard 11 National Championships response and let our play on the field send them home crying. It's all about an air of confidence and not about being the most obnoxious, vile human being possible.

QUOTE(Fotop @ Sep 6, 2005 -> 07:39 PM)
I'm there currently, Wedge. This is my fourth and final year. I'm a double major in finance and history.

I'm here as well. I'm now a 2nd year grad student in the CSE department. We've probably unwittingly bumped into each other at the Backer or something.

QUOTE(Wedge @ Sep 6, 2005 -> 08:55 PM)
I'm here as well.  I'm now a 2nd year grad student in the CSE department.  We've probably unwittingly bumped into each other at the Backer or something.

Funny, but more than likely true. :lol: I'm not that big of a fan of the backer...I guess it's more of an alumni/grad school love than an undergrad. I'm sure that once I leave though, I'll be itching for some backer fun.

Hate to sound ignorant...but what's CSE?

QUOTE(Fotop @ Sep 6, 2005 -> 08:00 PM)
Funny, but more than likely true. :lol: I'm not that big of a fan of the backer...I guess it's more of an alumni/grad school love than an undergrad. I'm sure that once I leave though, I'll be itching for some backer fun.

Hate to sound ignorant...but what's CSE?

no sweat, Computer Science. I did my undergrad there as well and I was in the band.

QUOTE(Wedge @ Sep 6, 2005 -> 09:03 PM)
no sweat, Computer Science.  I did my undergrad there as well and I was in the band.

Band? Nice, I tried out for drumline freshman year and didn't make it. What did you play?

/thread hijack by ND nerds :P

QUOTE(Fotop @ Sep 6, 2005 -> 07:39 PM)
They stopped Michigan's offense last year...granted we had a little more depth (even though I think watson was out) w/tuck on the line but the same talent is pretty much there. I'm not saying we're going to shut them down, but I don't think our defense is just going to roll over. Especially if Lloyd is playing the conservative game he LOVES to play.

Not going to undermine the ND win last year, but Carr hadn't been playing Hart yet. You won 28-20, I believe. Could of been very different if we had a running game. I can't even remember who Lloyd had in the backfield the first few games.

QUOTE(Brian @ Sep 6, 2005 -> 09:16 PM)
Not going to undermine the ND win last year, but Carr hadn't been playing Hart yet. You won 28-20, I believe. Could of been very different if we had a running game. I can't even remember who Lloyd had in the backfield the first few games.

Underwood started. Got hurt in the first quarter, and Hart played the rest of the game. Mind you it was Darius Walker's first game as well. :D

I think Michigan's offense as a whole is better this year. The combination of another year's experience for Hart and Henne, the offensive line and the depth of receivers they have will make them better. No one player is better than or can make up for what Edwards brought to the table, but the sum of all the parts can be greater this year.

From a selfish point of view, it is a damned shame that the game isn't in South Bend so I could watch it in HD. NBC finally got off their asses and is broadcasting ND home games in high definition this year. Instead, we'll get the crappy ABC SD feed.

Edited by Rex Hudler

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Sep 6, 2005 -> 09:23 PM)
I think Michigan's offense as a whole is better this year.  The combination of another year's experience for Hart and Henne, the offensive line and the depth of receivers they have will make them better.  No one player is better than or can make up for what Edwards brought to the table, but the sum of all the parts can be greater this year.

From a selfish point of view, it is a damned shame that the game isn't in South Bend so I could watch it in HD.  NBC finally got off their asses and is broadcasting ND home games in high definition this year.  Instead, we'll get the crappy ABC SD feed.

Outside of Avant, who do they have at receiver? Breaston is very quick but runs some pretty poor routes. He's much more of a threat in the return game than he is on offense (knock on wood). You are very correct about the line even though they lost Baas. Michigan always has good lines. I'm not saying their offense is bad...it's good I just don't think they're THAT much better than Pitt's was (experienced qb, deep threat in Lee, depth at TE). Granted, Pitt has no running game right now...so in that respect Michigan is much better. That's why I think it comes down to the ground game, which is one of our strengths with an experienced line and depth at RB (Walker, Powers-Neal).

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Sep 6, 2005 -> 07:55 PM)
no but Avant is more consistent.  Braylon Edwards made some spectacular catches yet he also dropped easy passes and made bonehead plays that either cost them the game or almost did.  Avant doesn't do that s***.  Avant would be a good pick for the Bears next year.

Seriously? Lay off the crack. Edwards was the best receiver in Michigan history. And one of the most productive in big ten history. There is no comparison on their roster now, and wont be for awhile. Avant hasnt proven a damn thing, and hasnt done anything yet. Michigan is, as usual, overrated.

QUOTE(Fotop @ Sep 7, 2005 -> 02:29 AM)
Outside of Avant, who do they have at receiver? Breaston is very quick but runs some pretty poor routes. He's much more of a threat in the return game than he is on offense (knock on wood). You are very correct about the line even though they lost Baas. Michigan always has good lines. I'm not saying their offense is bad...it's good I just don't think they're THAT much better than Pitt's was (experienced qb, deep threat in Lee, depth at TE). Granted, Pitt has no running game right now...so in that respect Michigan is  much better. That's why I think it comes down to the ground game, which is one of our strengths with an experienced line and depth at RB (Walker, Powers-Neal).

Arrington is a nice #3. Carl Tabb has excellent speed and can burn a LB out of the slot. They get some mileage out of Doug Dutch too, but not sure how good he is. Massaquoi and Ecker are both solid TE's.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Sep 6, 2005 -> 09:50 PM)
Seriously?  Lay off the crack.  Edwards was the best receiver in Michigan history.  And one of the most productive in big ten history.  There is no comparison on their roster now, and wont be for awhile.  Avant hasnt proven a damn thing, and hasnt done anything yet.  Michigan is, as usual, overrated.

no he wasn't. He is extremely talented and was a class act however he made bonehead plays that cost Michigan the Notre Dame game, almost cost them the MSU game, could've cost them the Gophers game, and dropped a pass that was right to him on a 4th and 2 against OSU that who knows what could've happened. Trust me you didn't see the real Braylon Edwards last year.

I agree that Edwards had his moments. He had a couple of easy drops in the Oregon game 2 years ago that were very costly. He also made big plays no one else would make.

I do believe he was a great receiver and one of the best in Michigan history, but he was not without his mistakes. He booted a few easy grounders at key times, if you will.

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Sep 7, 2005 -> 04:47 AM)
I agree that Edwards had his moments.  He had a couple of easy drops in the Oregon game 2 years ago that were very costly.  He also made big plays no one else would make. 

I do believe he was a great receiver and one of the best in Michigan history, but he was not without his mistakes.  He booted a few easy grounders at key times, if you will.

Don't forget Desmond Howard :D

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Sep 6, 2005 -> 10:08 PM)
no he wasn't.  He is extremely talented and was a class act however he made bonehead plays that cost Michigan the Notre Dame game, almost cost them the MSU game, could've cost them the Gophers game, and dropped a pass that was right to him on a 4th and 2 against OSU that who knows what could've happened.  Trust me you didn't see the real Braylon Edwards last year.

He was the best receiver in michigan history, get over the few plays you saw when he was young.

blurb:

He became the first player in Big Ten history, and ninth nationally, with 1,000-plus receiving yards in three straight seasons.

Edwards holds U-M career records in receptions (242), receiving yards (3,432) and 100-yard games (16). He is one touchdown catch shy of tying Carter's U-M career mark of 37.(before the rose bowl)

This year, Edwards also set school single-season records for catches and receiving yards.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Sep 7, 2005 -> 09:31 AM)
He was the best receiver in michigan history, get over the few plays you saw when he was young. 

blurb:

He became the first player in Big Ten history, and ninth nationally, with 1,000-plus receiving yards in three straight seasons.

Edwards holds U-M career records in receptions (242), receiving yards (3,432) and 100-yard games (16). He is one touchdown catch shy of tying Carter's U-M career mark of 37.(before the rose bowl)

This year, Edwards also set school single-season records for catches and receiving yards.

im not saying Edwards suck. He is very good and will over time be a good NFL Reciever. These were last year. These mistakes. And they weren't just dropped balls but stupid fumbles and bonehead plays.

QUOTE(whitesoxin' @ Sep 10, 2005 -> 02:22 PM)
What a game today! Complete domination of Michigan in the big house.

I don't know if you can say complete domination of Michigan. Michigan had more yards if that makes any difference. And Michigan had many chances to score but failed in the red zone. They had like 3 or 4 chances where they failed.