NUKE_CLEVELAND

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Exactly.

And how can you not get excited about a sweep and extending the lead to 9.5? :huh:

I'm not saying that this doesn't do good things for the Sox in terms of the standings, because it certainly does. I'm not saying that these games weren't fun to watch, because they certainly were. I'm not saying that I didn't have a blast attending the Sep 3 game, because I did.

But what I am saying is that we beat up on a team that was 15 games back. That says nothing about whether or not our offense can match up against playoff opponents, that says nothing about how we'll do against teams that actually have good pitching.

Let's not get overconfident here.

Even I think that's too pessimistic. If these games don't matter too much vs the Tigers, then why should we have worried that the Indians were making up ground against us when they were facing them? The Tigers are a team that I'm shocked we've played so well against, as we don't really match up well against them. I'm not surprised we struggled against Bonderman, as we don't do very well against top-notch righty offspeed stuff.

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 4, 2005 -> 04:34 PM)
Yeah, winning tomorrow would be more like a bonus to me than anything else.  We should have a contest to predict tomorrow's starting line-up.

Prediction:

C - Widger

1B - Gload

2B - Harris

SS - Blum

3B - Ozuna

RF - Perez

CF - Rowand

LF - Pods

DH - Everett

SP - McCarthy

RP - Sanders

Closer - Jenks

QUOTE(Antonio Osuna @ Sep 4, 2005 -> 04:42 PM)
I'm not saying that this doesn't do good things for the Sox in terms of the standings, because it certainly does. I'm not saying that these games weren't fun to watch, because they certainly were. I'm not saying that I didn't have a blast attending the Sep 3 game, because I did.

But what I am saying is that we beat up on a team that was 15 games back. That says nothing about whether or not our offense can match up against playoff opponents, that says nothing about how we'll do against teams that actually have good pitching.

Let's not get overconfident here.

Point me to a post where people are saying this bodes well for the playoffs. How dare people be happy.

QUOTE(Antonio Osuna @ Sep 4, 2005 -> 03:43 PM)
No; a team 30+ games over .500 should be able to beat a team that came into the series 15 games back and was consistently sub-mediocre. That's not news. The other way around certainly is.

I don't hear anybody screaming World Series because we beat the Tigers. So chill out.

QUOTE(WinninUgly @ Sep 4, 2005 -> 03:44 PM)
Prediction:

C - Widger

1B - Gload

2B - Harris

SS - Blum

3B - Ozuna

RF - Perez

CF - Rowand

LF - Pods

DH - Everett

SP - McCarthy

RP - Sanders

Closer - Jenks

I'm hoping Ozzie doesn't go that route. This is a big game as far as homefield in the playoffs go.

QUOTE(Antonio Osuna @ Sep 4, 2005 -> 03:43 PM)
No; a team 30+ games over .500 should be able to beat a team that came into the series 15 games back and was consistently sub-mediocre. That's not news. The other way around certainly is.

For the record this is the guy who said Buehrle is overrated cause he doesn't throw hard, the twins are a machine and injuries don't matter for them, on an offday for the sox last year when it was still a race and the Twins lost, he said it couldn't be a good day because the cubs won and I think he predicted the Sox to win 75 games this year, these are just some of the things he has said.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Sep 4, 2005 -> 04:45 PM)
Point me to a post where people are saying this bodes well for the playoffs.  How dare people be happy.

Here's my thoughts on all this.

Yes, we just swept this weekend series and yes it wasn't against a playoff calibur opponent.

So yes, i agree that this doesn't make me feel like we're going to run the table in the playoffs.

But what this series does do for me, is that it gives me confidence that this past month was just a down month for our team.

We're showing signs of playing like we did in april and may and that's what i'm looking for.

Sometimes, all it takes is a series like this for everything to start clickign again.

This is the most solid white sox team we've seen in a long time. Enjoy it, and i sure as hell hope it brought some of your confidence in this team up, it definitely did for me.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Sep 4, 2005 -> 10:08 PM)
My prediction:

LF Pods

2B Harris

DH Everett

1B Konerko

CF Rowand

RF Perez

SS Uribe

3B Blum

C Widger

I guarantee Gload is at 1b tomorrow, and PK won't be playing in the field. Also, I think we should rest Pods. If we're not going all out tomorrow, then there's no reason to risk injury to him.

QUOTE(Antonio Osuna @ Sep 4, 2005 -> 04:43 PM)

A team playing 30+ games over .500 type baseball is expected to win every series, and sweep series over bad teams.

A team coming off an 11-16 month is not.

To go out and beat Detroit, like the Sox did, is newsworthy and should be celebrated.

That's a crummy way to look at our sweep. Good job, SOX!

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Sep 4, 2005 -> 06:30 PM)
A team playing 30+ games over .500 type baseball is expected to win every series, and sweep series over bad teams.

A team coming off an 11-16 month is not.

To go out and beat Detroit, like the Sox did, is newsworthy and should be celebrated.

But didn't you here that the Cubs swept the Pirates, now that's news.