JUGGERNAUT

Leading the ALC: Chicago 84 51 27 left

Countdown to elimination in the ALC:

16 EN: Cleveland 75 61

14 EN: Minnesota 71 64

06 EN: Detroit 63 71

Kansas City ELIMINATED

EN: Elimination Number = Combination of team's losses & Chicago wins

How to calculate: Chicago gms left - diff in losses - 1 for any team that can't win the season series.

H2H vs CLE 10-3, vs MIN 6-5, vs DET 11-3.

Generally speaking H2H is the tie-breaker for teams with identical records in the division. The only exception is if the wild card team finishes with a better record than the best ALC teams. The EN for that scenario is 19. If that should happen then there would be a playoff amongst division contenders. Chicago needs 4 wins against MIN to insure they are the host in any scenario.

Edited by JUGGERNAUT

Cleveland can only win 101 games, and that is if they win their next 26.

Minnesota can only win 98 games, and that is if they win their next 27.

Sox have to go 17-10 to get to 101 wins, which would clinch the Division.

Realistically, based off current Winning Percentages, the Sox will clinch the Division during the CLE series (19-21SEP) once they win one game of that series.

Final Standings Projected:

Sox 100-62

CLE 89-73

MIN 86-70

The Magic Number to clinch Home Field: 23

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Sep 4, 2005 -> 04:45 PM)
Leading the ALC: Chicago  84  51  27 left

Countdown to elimination in the ALC:

16 EN: Cleveland      75      61

14 EN: Minnesota      71      64

06 EN: Detroit      63 71

Kansas City ELIMINATED

EN: Elimination Number = Combination of team's losses & Chicago wins

How to calculate:  Chicago gms left - diff in losses - 1 for any team that can't win the season series.

H2H vs CLE 10-3, vs MIN 6-5, vs DET 11-3. 

Generally speaking H2H is the tie-breaker for teams with identical records in the division.  The only exception is if the wild card team finishes with a better record than the best ALC teams.  The EN for that scenario is 19.  If that should happen then there would be a playoff amongst division contenders.  Chicago needs 4 wins against MIN to insure they are the host in any scenario.

Our magic number is actually 18 against the Indians(17 to tie). The Indians have 26 games left meaning they can win 101 games on the year. We would have to win 17 games to tie them if that was the case.

QUOTE(Dam8610 @ Sep 4, 2005 -> 10:21 PM)
That would be quite sweet. Although, so would any game against the Twins.

id love to celebrate with us winning and clinching on their field, not like 2000 where we lost on their field but still clinched

QUOTE(whitesoxfan99 @ Sep 4, 2005 -> 09:50 PM)
Our magic number is actually 18 against the Indians(17 to tie).  The Indians have 26 games left meaning they can win 101 games on the year.  We would have to win 17 games to tie them if that was the case.

That is what I was saying, the Magic number is 17, since that would match the possible win total by CLE, and the Sox having the Tie-Breaker. Not 16.

Didn't factor in scenario where WC finishes better than tops in ALC.

Leading the ALC: Chicago 86 51 25 left

Actual Countdown to AL crown & ALC crown:

21 EN: #2 in AL 81 56 25gr

16 EN: Wild Card 77 60 25gr

16 EN: Cleveland 77 61 24gr

11 EN: Minnesota 72 66 24gr

04 EN: Detroit 63 73 26gr

00 EN: Kansas City ELIMINATED

Explanation:

If the AL WC finishes better than tops in ALC then a playoff game would decide the ALC division in the event of a tie-breaker. That adds a +1 to all ALC contenders EN.

BOS owns the H2H tie-breaker against CWS for rights to best in AL. That adds a +1.

EN's will drop quickly with H2H action amongst contenders:

BOS vs NYY: 6 gms. H2H 7-6 NYY

MIN vs DET: 6 gms. H2H 7-6 DET

CLE vs DET: 2 gms H2H 10-6 CLE

CLE vs MIN: 3 gms H2H 9-7 MIN

Applying L10 records to gr:

17 EN: Boston 103 59

06 EN: New York 92 70

06 EN: Cleveland 92 70

00 EN: Minnesota 84 78

00 EN: Detroit 69 93

00 EN: Kansas City 50 112

The WSox are presently playing at a pace to finish 103-59. BOS owns H2H 4-3. We're looking at a dog fight to the very end.

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ Sep 4, 2005 -> 09:06 PM)
Come on, it needs to be September 17th when I see the Sox play the Twins.

I don't want it to happen then. There's no TV. Or have we all had this discussion before? I forget.

Schweet! I hope it's the 23rd, where I'll be there for my b-day with my family, some of whom have never been to the Cell before.

Hey guys! Everybody's jumping around because we just clinched! That would be great.

Either way; I can't believe after this long, long season the finish line (well regular season at least) is finally in sight.

I thought we'd be better this year, but 35 games over .500? C'mon! What an insanely successful year.

QUOTE(LVSoxFan @ Sep 7, 2005 -> 01:10 PM)
I thought we'd be better this year, but 35 games over .500?  C'mon!  What an insanely successful year.

Insanely successful? Not yet. An excellent year to be sure...but for it to be "Insanely successful" we need to be 3 games above .500 after October 3rd.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 7, 2005 -> 02:12 PM)
Insanely successful?  Not yet.  An excellent year to be sure...but for it to be "Insanely successful" we need to be 3 games above .500 after October 3rd.

I should have said insanely successful regular season. Still, did anybody really think we were gonna turn it around this quickly with the whole "new" team idea?

I thought it would be better than last year, but this season so far is way past what I thought we could accomplish so soon.

You're right though: let's get through October.

QUOTE(whitesoxin' @ Sep 7, 2005 -> 03:24 PM)
Big crowds. Last 5 wins at home were small crowds IMO. Every game should be sold out this season based on their record.

My co-worker was mentioning this today; he can't believe we're getting like 15, 20 thousand people over the past week, being in first place and right in the race to the playoffs.

I honestly don't know the answer (especially on a night like last night which was also two-fer Tuesdays).

The best I could come up with was: well, school's back in for starters. Either that or people aren't interested in seeing us play Central division teams.

I dunno. Doesn't bother me, because I know come playoff time every bandwagon jumper will come out of the woodwork and crowd the place, so I try enjoy the "relaxed" atmosphere.