COUNT DOWN TO CLINCHING THE ALC!

JUGGERNAUT

My co-worker was mentioning this today; he can't believe we're getting like 15, 20 thousand people over the past week, being in first place and right in the race to the playoffs.

I honestly don't know the answer (especially on a night like last night which was also two-fer Tuesdays).

The best I could come up with was: well, school's back in for starters.  Either that or people aren't interested in seeing us play Central division teams.

I dunno.  Doesn't bother me, because I know come playoff time every bandwagon jumper will come out of the woodwork and crowd the place, so I try enjoy the "relaxed" atmosphere.

Again I think the media is partly to blame. How many columnists actually celebate in their posts this incredible season? Mariotti writes one post saying we won't choke & then follows it up later with "we are hopeless" emphasizing that we are not good against contenders.

When this message is trumpeted again & again the psychological impact is such that games against non-contenders are meaningless to the fair-weather fan. So now the general belief amongst the non die-hard is that we will have an early exit. That reduces the buzz factor of the team.

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Sep 8, 2005 -> 03:48 PM)
Again I think the media is partly to blame.  How many columnists actually celebate in their posts this incredible season?  Mariotti writes one post saying we won't choke & then follows it up later with "we are hopeless" emphasizing that we are not good against contenders.

When this message is trumpeted again & again the psychological impact is such that games against non-contenders are meaningless to the fair-weather fan.  So now the general belief amongst the non die-hard is that we will have an early exit. That reduces the buzz factor of the team.

It's really unforunate. If this were the Cubs, you would be seeing blue ink on the Tribune through and through. Granted, a different following, but this team needs our support, Kansas City or the Yankees.

Leading the ALC: Chicago 87 51 24 left

Actual Countdown to AL crown & ALC crown:

20 EN: #2 in AL 82 56 24gr

15 EN: Wild Card 78 60 24gr

15 EN: Cleveland 78 61 23gr

10 EN: Minnesota 73 66 23gr

02 EN: Detroit 63 74 25gr

00 EN: Kansas City ELIMINATED

It is a countdown thread afterall ;)

while i know we're gonna win , and i know, because i SEE, that we have the best record in the big leagues..

it still feels so f***ing surreal. I just can't believe that this team that has finished a constant second for 4 straight years, now left everyone in the dust when they got rid of their 2 best hitters! Amazing really. this team puts me in good moods (though august i was a bit rubbish a lot of the time)

while i know we're gonna win , and i know, because i SEE, that we have the best record in the big leagues..

it still feels so f***ing surreal. I just can't believe that this team that has finished a constant second for 4 straight years, now left everyone in the dust when they got rid of their 2 best hitters! Amazing really. this team puts me in good moods (though august i was a bit rubbish a lot of the time)

I just want to say that personally I have been making statistical arguments in favor of Mark Buerhle, Freddy Garcia, Jon Garland, & many others for years now. I likewise made such arguments for Contreras. It is very nice to see that these players are finally living up to the potential that I argued was present in their stats.

You can see the difference this year. As the resident optimist around here I use to have to look deep & hard to bolster my confidence in them. Those posts are long since history. It's a joy to simply look at the big four (ERA, IP, WHIP, K) & see their talent.

I can only hope that one day I will be able to do the same with the hitters. Until then I will continue to look mostly at RON (runners on) numbers to see the upside in our lineup. ;)

well i remember last year with the contreras trade we all said, "alright, this is good for the future cause were gonna have the best pitching staff in the division next year"

i think we all saw that...then when people blew up cleveland when they signed millwood, i questioned myself...but this year was huge redemption for me.

NA EN:White Sox 87 52 23gr

19 EN: Red $ox 82 57 23gr

14 EN: Yankee$ 78 61 23gr

15 EN: Indians 79 61 22gr

10 EN: Twinkies 73 66 23gr

01 EN: Tiggers 63 75 25gr

00 EN: Peasants ELIMINATED

Weekend action:

Yankee$ host Red $ox (7-6 NYY$)

Indians host Twinkies (9-7 Twinks)

Tiggers host Peasants (8-4 Tigs)

Palos host Halos (4-3 Palos)

Rangeless host A's (8-5 A's)

Go Yanks, Twinks, Peasants, :gosox3: , & Rangeless.

Edited by JUGGERNAUT

NA EN:White Sox 87 55 20gr

17 EN: Red $ox 83 59 20gr

15 EN: Angels 81 61 20gr

14 EN: Yankee$ 80 62 20gr

13 EN: Athletics 79 63 19gr

15 EN: Indians 82 61 19gr

07 EN: Twinkies 73 69 20gr

00 EN: Tiggers ELIMINATED :P

This week's action: CWS (@KCR, @MIN) , BOS (@TOR, vOAK), CLE (vOAK, vKCR), NYY (@TAM, @TOR), ANA (@SEA, vDET)

ANA has a fairly easy sched down the stretch (4 out of their next 20 vs contenders (OAK). We might be looking at ANA hosting CLE & the CWS hosting BOS. That wouldn't be so bad.

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Sep 12, 2005 -> 12:29 PM)

NA EN:White Sox 87 55 20gr

17 EN: Red $ox 83 59 20gr

15 EN: Angels 81 61 20gr

14 EN: Yankee$ 80 62 20gr

13 EN: Athletics 79 63 19gr

15 EN: Indians 82 61 19gr

07 EN: Twinkies 73 69 20gr

00 EN: Tiggers ELIMINATED  :P

This week's action: CWS (@KCR, @MIN) , BOS (@TOR, vOAK), CLE (vOAK, vKCR), NYY (@TAM, @TOR), ANA (@SEA, vDET)

ANA has a fairly easy sched down the stretch (4 out of their next 20 vs contenders (OAK).  We might be looking at ANA hosting CLE & the CWS hosting BOS.  That wouldn't be so bad.

I will be at the game on the 22nd against Minnesota we will clinch on that day. I will bring my clinch clothes. :cheers

I realize some will whine. But I'm closing this thread. I'm superstitious when it comes to my sports team and I don't think these type of things do any good. So if you want to have a magic number up or something like that, please just put it in the sig.

Unless of course the Sox sweep Cleveland and have like 2 or 1 games left. I don't want bad karma hurting the Sox :lol:

Now its to go into KC and sweep em with the 1st win coming on Tuesday :cheers