Where will Sox will rank in minor league talent?

maggsmaggs

I would say 5-8 because. We have 4 impact outfielders with all-star potential (Owens, Sweeney, Young and Anderson, 3 lefties who are very good (Liotta, Haigwood and Gio, then a very good SS in Valido and Jenks might still be considered a prospect and finally McCarthy who had looked outstanding lately. What does everyone think?

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Sep 4, 2005 -> 05:20 PM)
Owens /= impact outfielder.

His OBP is BA heavy, and he doesn't for a whole lot of slugging.  He'll have to hit .300 to be effective.  Can he do it?  He might, but even if he does, I doubt his line will be much better than .300/.350/.375...

If Podsednik was an all-star, even if it was final vote, Owens has the potential to be there.

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Sep 4, 2005 -> 05:39 PM)
If Podsednik was an all-star, even if it was final vote, Owens has the potential to be there.

Totally agreed, the kid hasn't had a whole lot of time to sharpen his baseball skills after playing football in college. He's going to learn to take more pitches and improve his OBP while maintaining a high average.

Wouldn't be suprised if the Sox's farm system ranked around 5-7.

With all the solid pitching they have accumulated in the last few years, plus OF depth, they should be in the mid-single digits. Plus depth at 3b and a little infield now in Getz will get the Sox a long way.

Just keep it coming, baby! :gosoxretro:

QUOTE(OilCan @ Sep 4, 2005 -> 09:57 PM)
Wouldn't be suprised if the Sox's farm system ranked around 5-7.

With all the solid pitching they have accumulated in the last few years, plus OF depth, they should be in the mid-single digits. Plus depth at 3b and a little infield now in Getz will get the Sox a long way. 

Just keep it coming, baby! :gosoxretro:

I actually think the Sox's system will drop. This year's draft class, led by Lance Broadway, has not had a standout performance like some of the 2004 draftees did last year (Gonzalez, Liotta). The minors are extremely outfield-heavy in prospects, which are a dime a dozen in any case. The Sox minors are short at SS (with Valido the only real prospect), 2B (none really pop out) and 3B (Fields has high K's, low AVG., worrisome for someone who will need to compete at higher levels). C is weak as well.

QUOTE(BlackBetsy @ Sep 5, 2005 -> 07:08 AM)
I actually think the Sox's system will drop.  This year's draft class, led by Lance Broadway, has not had a standout performance like some of the 2004 draftees did last year (Gonzalez, Liotta).  The minors are extremely outfield-heavy in prospects, which are a dime a dozen in any case. The Sox minors are short at SS (with Valido the only real prospect), 2B (none really pop out) and 3B (Fields has high K's, low AVG., worrisome for someone who will need to compete at higher levels).  C is weak as well.

Pretty much. I also see us dropping. We did pretty bad with this year's draft IMO.

QUOTE(BlackBetsy @ Sep 5, 2005 -> 07:08 AM)
I actually think the Sox's system will drop.  This year's draft class, led by Lance Broadway, has not had a standout performance like some of the 2004 draftees did last year (Gonzalez, Liotta).  The minors are extremely outfield-heavy in prospects, which are a dime a dozen in any case. The Sox minors are short at SS (with Valido the only real prospect), 2B (none really pop out) and 3B (Fields has high K's, low AVG., worrisome for someone who will need to compete at higher levels).  C is weak as well.

Well Young had a sick year, as did Gio as did Liotta as did Haigwood. We're outfield and PITCHING heavy, that is a very good thing.

QUOTE(WSFAN35 @ Sep 5, 2005 -> 12:53 AM)
Totally agreed, the kid hasn't had a whole lot of time to sharpen his baseball skills after playing football in college.  He's going to learn to take more pitches and improve his OBP while maintaining a high average.

If Owens hits .330 or above in a stint of 200+ ABs in the major leagues, I'll eat my shoe.

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Sep 5, 2005 -> 09:02 PM)
1. Atlanta Braves

2. Milwaukee Brewers

3. Anaheim Angels

4. Tampa Bay Devil Rays

5. Minnesota Twins

6. White Sox

7. Cleveland Indians

8. Colorado Rockies

9. Seattle Mariners

10. Toronto Blue Jays

Everyone around here keeps sayingi that the Dodgers belong somewhere in that list.