Saints consider two cities or season on road

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2152079

Saints looking at Baton Rouge, San Antonio

Associated Press

SAN ANTONIO -- The New Orleans Saints said Sunday they are considering three options where to play their home games this season: LSU's Tiger Stadium, the Alamodome in San Antonio or at the stadiums of all their opponents.

Speaking at a news conference in San Antonio, where the team has moved its day-to-day operations after the Superdome and most of New Orleans was destroyed by Hurricane Katrina, general manager Mickey Loomis and coach Jim Haslett made it clear that going to Baton Rouge, La., is their first choice. They said that being a permanent road team was the last option.

"We want to play in the Superdome, but obviously that's not possible," Loomis said. "We would like to play our games in Baton Rouge. Obviously, the league has a lot of say. They'll be involved in the decision. We're trying to explore every possibility."

The Saints open Sunday at Carolina. Their second game, which was supposed to be their home opener, already has been moved to Giants Stadium, home of their foe, the New York Giants, but the date has not been announced.

They play at Minnesota the next week, so the first game still in flux is Oct. 2 against Buffalo.

Haslett said NFL commissioner Paul Tagliabue "put us behind the eight ball" with the decision to play at the Meadowlands in Week 2.

He called LSU the first option because, "I would like our fans to have the opportunity to see us play."

Club officials and players are living in a hotel across the interstate from the Alamodome and will be practicing at high school fields in the area.

San Antonio has been asking for NFL for a number of years now for their city. They just might get their wish.

Dallas and Houston probably is endorsing the NFL to have the Saints in Baton Rouge. The last thing those two cities want to see is another NFL team come to Texas.

Although....if SA does get the Saints this year, that means there's a chance to see my Bears come to town on Nov. 8th!!!

But trust me, neither the city of SA nor do I wanted to see NFL come here under these circumstances at all.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Sep 5, 2005 -> 10:48 AM)
Told you guys that they were thinking about playing at LSU. I think that's their pick. I certainly would do it.

You certainly are clairvoyant. Wanna predict whether the sun rises tomorrow?

But wait....is that Central Time??? :P

Seriously, I bet the Hornets will be playing in either OKC, Baton Rouge or KC. The Saints will be playing in SA. Can you imagine trying to redo the Saints' calendar after LSU Tiger games? Can you imagine what that field would be like?

Onto San Antonio?

WDSU in New Orleans reports that the Saints will play their home games this season in San Antonio and will not refund ticket holders in New Orleans.

Look for the Saints to spin this, just like they turned around a State Senator's report that the team plans to permanently leave the city. It's hard to believe the national media has willfully ignored both stories. Sep. 5 - 12:01 pm et

QUOTE(OilCan @ Sep 5, 2005 -> 09:27 AM)
But wait....is that Central Time??? :P

Seriously, I bet the Hornets will be playing in either OKC, Baton Rouge or KC.  The Saints will be playing in SA. Can you imagine trying to redo the Saints' calendar after LSU Tiger games?  Can you imagine what that field would be like?

Sho' is CT. Anyway, LSU wouldn't have to reschedule their games. NFL plays on Sundays. Most college games are on Saturdays.

The issue with LSU is the fan base. Let's remember the region has lost a lot of fans who have left the area and probably not returning during this football season. Others in the area, are trying to rebuild homes, rebuild lives, hopefully have jobs. It makes sense to have the team playing in a stable area this season.

The team owner has business and personal ties to San Antonio. The team would draw fans away from the Texans and some away from the Cowboys. My guess is neither team will be hurt too bad. Fans being fans, and the Cowboys being America's Team and such a huge following in the state, they will still sell a lot of tickets.

If the Saints do move to SA, then IMO many NFL fans who haven't gone to an NFL game will now have a chance to do so, since it won't be so far away, distance-wise.

Again, if the Saints do play the Bears in SA this year, I am sooooo there at the Alamodome!

QUOTE(knightni @ Sep 8, 2005 -> 01:48 PM)
I could see this bringing the Saints a new retractable roof stadium north of New Orleans, out of the levy-flooded area.

They can still be the New Orleans Saints and not have the stadium in New Orleans.

Ala the New York Jets and Giants