White Sox VS. Red SOX -Game thread (Sep 5th)

kman

• Replies 567
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(YASNY @ Sep 5, 2005 -> 05:08 PM)
Great game by BMac today.  But, I want to know if anyone caught the real bonehead play made by the Sox that wasn't even mentioned in this thread.

Ok...which one you mean? There were a couple...Uribe caught off second...Pods caught off first, the error by Blum, the error by Iguchi...?

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 5, 2005 -> 07:32 PM)
Ok...which one you mean?  There were a couple...Uribe caught off second...Pods caught off first, the error by Blum, the error by Iguchi...?

The errors aren't bonehead. That's just physical misplays. The pick offs were mentioned. So, nope, you didn't get it.

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 5, 2005 -> 07:38 PM)
There was a play that I didn't criticize?  I didn't even know that was possible.

OK. I'll spill the beans. Geoff Blum's triple. He broke one of the cardinal rules of baseball by attempting to go to 3rd on that play. That rule being that you never risk making the first or third out of the inning at 3rd base. An accurate throw would have nailed him, and he was just barely safe as it was. It didn't make any difference in the outcome of the game, but at the time it occured, it was a bonehead play and Blum got lucky.

I just found it interesting that nobody mentioned it in the thread.

I like Blum trying to move to 3rd on that play...entirely because it gives us 2 chances at a sacrifice fly/squeeze bunt instead of 1.

Making the 3rd out of an inning at 3rd, like Pods did yesterday while trying to steal third, is a terrible idea. But there are cases where risking the first out of an inning there is more acceptable, because it sets up the sac fly.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Sep 5, 2005 -> 07:43 PM)
OK.  I'll spill the beans.  Geoff Blum's triple.  He broke one of the cardinal rules of baseball by attempting to go to 3rd on that play.  That rule being that you never risk making the first or third out of the inning at 3rd base. An accurate throw would have nailed him, and he was just barely safe as it was. It didn't make any difference in the outcome of the game, but at the time it occured, it was a bonehead play and Blum got lucky. 

I just found it interesting that nobody mentioned it in the thread.

Maybe he was being waved to 3rd.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 5, 2005 -> 07:55 PM)
I like Blum trying to move to 3rd on that play...entirely because it gives us 2 chances at a sacrifice fly/squeeze bunt instead of 1.

Making the 3rd out of an inning at 3rd, like Pods did yesterday while trying to steal third, is a terrible idea.  But there are cases where risking the first out of an inning there is more acceptable, because it sets up the sac fly.

That was a bad play by Blum. That's a baseball no-brainer. Sure, once he was safe, it made for an advantageous situation. But, that was stupid baseball. Hell, it was a bad throw and he still just barely got in there.

That's one of those "You have to be sure" scenario's. There was no way he was sure he'd get in there safely.

OK. I'll spill the beans. Geoff Blum's triple. He broke one of the cardinal rules of baseball by attempting to go to 3rd on that play. That rule being that you never risk making the first or third out of the inning at 3rd base. An accurate throw would have nailed him, and he was just barely safe as it was. It didn't make any difference in the outcome of the game, but at the time it occured, it was a bonehead play and Blum got lucky.

I really don't think it was that boneheaded of a play at all. That was just the White Sox being aggressive like they have been all year. Actually it's probably a heads-up play by Blum, he knew Manny Ramirez isn't the best fielder in the world and making a perfect throw after misplaying the ball and barehanding it while facing the wall would be tough even for a guy like Gabe Kapler

I really don't think it was that boneheaded of a play at all. That was just the White Sox being aggressive like they have been all year. Actually it's probably a heads-up play by Blum, he knew Manny Ramirez isn't the best fielder in the world and making a perfect throw after misplaying the ball and barehanding it while facing the wall would be tough even for a guy like Gabe Kapler

Well, everyone is entitles to their opinion. But, I know if he would have out, this board would have been screaming about it. The key to this is that the "You have to be sure" rule is something that you teach little leaguers. It's a very basic rule that has been proven over the years. I don't know whether it was Blum or Cora that made the decision, but I still say it was the wrong decision.