6 man rotation?

BigSqwert

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Sep 5, 2005 -> 12:43 PM)
I have a better idea... drop Orlando out of the rotation... just start BMAC...

Seriously if BMAC is going to keep pitching like this it makes no sense to even leave El Duque on the playoff roster...

The real key there is the if...BMac looks like he could be a great pitcher, but we haven't seen him in the playoffs. There is a big difference between shutting out the Red Sox today and facing them at Fenway in October.

By the way...quick question...what does a pitcher have to do so that they no longer qualify as a rookie (and therefore are ineligible for the ROY award)? I'm wondering if BMac will have a shot next year...I think it's something like 125 at bats for a position player, anyone know for a pitcher?

Well even if BMAC isn't as sharp it's still better then going to war with a tired El Duque... I mean in Texas he was fine through 5... but as soon as he got close to that 100 pitch mark they just starting teeing off on him like batting practice... I'd sure hate to see that in the playoffs...

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Sep 5, 2005 -> 07:43 PM)

Seriously if BMAC is going to keep pitching like this it makes no sense to even leave El Duque on the playoff roster...

Yeah lets just forget all about team chemestry and tell El Duque to go screw himself...

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Sep 5, 2005 -> 07:50 PM)
Well even if BMAC isn't as sharp it's still better then going to war with a tired El Duque... I mean in Texas he was fine through 5... but as soon as he got close to that 100 pitch mark they just starting teeing off on him like batting practice... I'd sure hate to see that in the playoffs...

A good game for Duque usually equates to about 3 runs allowed. Every other starter we have gives up about 0 or 1 runs when they have a great game. Duque doesn't deserve to start for us in the postseason....but I have a strong hunch that he will.

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Sep 5, 2005 -> 01:43 PM)

i was thinkin about the playoff roster......and i think brandon will be on it regardless

IF: konerko, iguchi, uribe, ozuna, blum (maybe crede if healthy) Aj, Widger

so 7-8

OF: Dye Rowand Pods Timo Everett

so the total is 12-13

P: Buerhle, Garland, Garcia, Contreras, El Duque, Hermie, Cotts, Marte, Politte, Jenks, Vizcaino.....

that brings the total to 23-24. That means that one or two spots are open, depending on credes health. I would think that Bmac and willie would be the candidates, especially if crede is out, we need more IF help with ozuna starting at 3rd. So if you ask me, if crede is healthy, we take Bmac with the one open spot. if not we take willie and Bmac.

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Sep 5, 2005 -> 12:50 PM)

BMac was shelled by Texas earlier this year and in Spring Training...clearly he can't pitch well.

Seriously just try to remember guys... a bad start, or even a couple bad starts, or even a bad month doesn't ruin a guy's season. A bad start does not constitute a trend.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 5, 2005 -> 02:00 PM)
Seriously just try to remember guys... a bad start, or even a couple bad starts, or even a bad month doesn't ruin a guy's season.  A bad start does not constitute a trend.

i think someone should take this post and pin it and just keep it atop the soxtalk webpage. since nobody on this site seems to grasp this concept. well said balta, i couldnt have put it better myself

Edited by daa84

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Sep 5, 2005 -> 02:50 PM)

Maybe we can have the 2-headed monster who pitches every 5th day..Hernendez pitches the first 4 or 5 innings of the game, while BMAC finishes the game...Hey, just sayin:P

But you gotta keep puttin BMAC out there..he's shutdown 2 of the top offensive clubs in baseball backTOback.

QUOTE(GASHWOUND @ Sep 5, 2005 -> 04:27 PM)
Maybe we can have the 2-headed monster who pitches every 5th day..Hernendez pitches the first 4 or 5 innings of the game, while BMAC finishes the game...Hey, just sayin:P

But you gotta keep puttin BMAC out there..he's shutdown 2 of the top offensive clubs in baseball backTOback.

This idea deserves some merit. To my way of thinking, McCarthy's efforts of late should make Ozzie think about a short leash on those days when one of the other starters (principally El Duque and the Count) have 'one of the those days'. The Count has looked great lately, throwing strikes and getting ahead. But I would never be surprised if the confused looking, fall behind Contreras shows up at any given time. And El Duque can always have those 5 inning 100 pitch cliff hangers.

If we're thinking of using McCarthy as a long reliever in the playoffs, then we need to get him experience with this role before the playoffs start (of course, if we get there). Duque is clearly our 5th best starting pitcher right now, with McCarthy just not having enough starts to jump ahead of him. I think it would be a mistake to take the results Duque had in the past in the postseason and confuse them with the pitcher he is now.

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Sep 5, 2005 -> 02:43 PM)

that is the worst idea i have ever heard.

I think it's suicide to go with a pitcher who obviously hasn't had his best stuff all year just because he's more experienced... He's obviously not the same El Duque he was years ago with the Yankees... It's fairly obvious that he's not going to be starting in the post season regardless. I'm not saying to even start BMAC in the playoffs... But i'd feel alot more comfortable with BMAC coming out of the pen then Jose or El Duque...

Unless Jose totally falls apart again my vote goes for Jose to be the 4th starter in the playoffs... BMAC the long reliever... and El Duque going on the DL with a shoulder problem so you can put Bajaneru on the post season roster to back up Hermy... Maybe thats just a fantasy but it's alot better then El Duque coming out of the pen in the playoffs...

Edited by Jeckle2000

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 5, 2005 -> 03:47 PM)
The real key there is the if...BMac looks like he could be a great pitcher, but we haven't seen him in the playoffs.  There is a big difference between shutting out the Red Sox today and facing them at Fenway in October.

By the way...quick question...what does a pitcher have to do so that they no longer qualify as a rookie (and therefore are ineligible for the ROY award)?  I'm wondering if BMac will have a shot next year...I think it's something like 125 at bats for a position player, anyone know for a pitcher?

1. No more than 40 Innings

2. Less than 140 At bats

3. Or less than 45 days on the Active Major League Roster

QUOTE(JoshPR @ Sep 5, 2005 -> 03:29 PM)
1. No more than 40 Innings

2. Less than 140 At bats

3. Or less than 45 days on the Active Major League Roster

After today, I believe BMac has thrown 46 innings. Guess he'll just have to beat out Buehrle and Garland for the Cy Young next year if he wants some hardware.