Bad BMac blessing in disguise ?

CaliSoxFanViaSWside

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Sep 6, 2005 -> 11:18 AM)
The question is, when was he effective in the postseason.

El Duque postseason

pre-2000 5-0 1.02 ERA

2000-now 4-3 4.03 ERA

Anyone who has confidence in El Pukee is crazy. I don't want that guy touching the ball during the postseason.

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ Sep 6, 2005 -> 11:21 AM)
Anyone who has confidence in El Pukee is crazy.  I don't want that guy touching the ball during the postseason.

I was all for it, but after watching his last several outings, I now know that he is always good for 4 runs. So, we start him in a playoff game, he shuts them out for 4 innings, then gives up a 3 run bomb, and 2 doubles making the score 4-0. We are facing the yankees and they have Mussina on the mound. He shuts us down for 7 innings with only one run. Then they turn the ball over to Gordon and Rivera. the game ends 4-2. With ANY other pitcher on the mound, was there a better chance for us to win?

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Sep 6, 2005 -> 11:15 AM)
I see no reason why we shouldnt try El Duque in the pen.  Hermy is hurt and we need another quality arm in there.  El Duque only gets in trouble when his mind is not in the game.  Brining him in for late game situations may trigger that "clutch" aspect of his game, no to mention really set up the batters for k's vs Jenks.  I think the El Duque could be a set-up man/closer for another team next year, as his age is becoming a factor, and he has lapses of concentration.

The fact is we have A LOT of "head cases" on this pitching squad. Garcia, Garland, and Contreras to name a few more. This is not to criticize the squad. Their brilliant stats are indisputable, but MANY times their heads are in the nether regions. :banghead

It's too early to decide this now. The playoffs are all about who's hot during that time. A loooooooot can still happen.

Chances are, both Dookie and B Mac end up in the pen. If it comes down to one or the other, there is no way I take a chance on the kid crapping the mound under pressure.

QUOTE(kevin57 @ Sep 6, 2005 -> 09:33 AM)
The fact is we have A LOT of "head cases" on this pitching squad.  Garcia, Garland, and Contreras to name a few more.    This is not to criticize the squad.  Their brilliant stats are indisputable, but MANY times their heads are in the nether regions. :banghead

You might add MB (certified conspiricy theorist - ugh) to the headcase list.

Man, were they gushing about BMac on the broadcast yesterday. My head actually outgrew my Sox hat. Good thing I have an extra large Notre Dame hat for such occasions.

I'm confident Ozzie will be sticking to his "riding the hot hand" motto. Plus, they'll be going with an extra pitcher on the roster if Hermy isn't 100%.

IMO, I have all the faith in the world in McCarthy over Hernandez. He has shown the poise to succeed facing two powerhouse hitting teams the last two times out.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Sep 6, 2005 -> 11:15 AM)
So, we're gonna give the ball to a rookie who has had 2 good starts and zero playoff experience over a veteran who has a pretty good post season record?

Keep in mind which two teams he shut down in those starts. Also keep in mind he shut them both down in their home stadiums. Also keep in mind the great amount of pressure which had to have been put on him when he was pitching.

That being said, I would rather stick with the pitchers who are consitantly good, such as Buehrle.

QUOTE(Felix @ Sep 6, 2005 -> 03:37 PM)
That being said, I would rather stick with the pitchers who are consitantly good, such as Buehrle.

Since July 1, Buehrle has had a few rough outings.

Jul. 3 @OAK L 7-2 6.1IP 14H  7R 4ER 0HR 2BB 3K

Jul. 9 OAK L 10-1 7.0IP 6H 5R 2ER 1HR 2BB 3K

Jul. 21 BOS L 6-5 6.0IP 10H 5R 3ER 0HR 3BB 1K

Jul. 26 @KC L 7-1 6.0IP 8H 7R 7ER 0HR 2BB 2K

Aug. 12 @BOS L 9-8 7.0IP 12H 6R 6ER 2HR 2BB 2K

Aug. 17 MIN L 5-1 7.0IP 8H 5R 4ER 2HR 2BB 7K

Aug. 29 @TEX L 7-5 7.0IP 9H 7R 4ER 2HR 1BB 4K

In his last 12 starts. he has given up +5 runs (albeit some were unearned) in 7 of the 12.

I expressed some hesitation in giving the ball to McCarthy vs. Hernandez is an earlier post. The more I think about it, the less hesitation I have. Having said that, at this point in time I'd go with Contreras as the number 4 starter in the playoffs.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Sep 6, 2005 -> 02:50 PM)
I expressed some hesitation in giving the ball to McCarthy vs.  Hernandez is an earlier post.  The more I think about it, the less hesitation I have.  Having said that, at this point in time I'd go with Contreras as the number 4 starter in the playoffs.

No doubt, if Jose pitches half as well as he did in August he should be our number 4 guy in the playoffs.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Sep 6, 2005 -> 03:56 PM)
No doubt, if Jose pitches half as well as he did in August he should be our number 4 guy in the playoffs.

I think it's finally "clicked" for Contreras. If so, then his head won't get in the way of him using his great stuff.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Sep 6, 2005 -> 03:02 PM)
I think it's finally "clicked" for Contreras.  If so, then his head won't get in the way of him using his great stuff.

No walks in his last 3 starts, that's just simply incredible for Jose. What was his era in August? It was around the low 1's but as impressive as that is, that no walks in 3 starts is the most impressive stat to me.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Sep 6, 2005 -> 04:05 PM)
No walks in his last 3 starts, that's just simply incredible for Jose.  What was his era in August?  It was around the low 1's but as impressive as that is, that no walks in 3 starts is the most impressive stat to me.

Which is the exact reason why I think it has finally "clicked" for him.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Sep 6, 2005 -> 02:05 PM)
No walks in his last 3 starts, that's just simply incredible for Jose.  What was his era in August?  It was around the low 1's but as impressive as that is, that no walks in 3 starts is the most impressive stat to me.

Man I didn't even know that stat...great work while I was gone Jose