Roster Moves

RockRaines

Borchard, Anderson, Bajenaru join team today

September 6, 2005

BY DOUG PADILLA STAFF REPORTER

Advertisement

BOSTON -- The second wave of roster additions is scheduled for today. Right-hander Jeff Bajenaru and outfielders Brian Anderson and Joe Borchard are expected to be recalled.

For Borchard, the Sox' first-round draft pick in 2000 (12th selection overall), it will be his first trip to the major leagues this season after playing with the Sox in each of the previous three seasons. Borchard is a career .182 hitter in 95 major-league games with 12 home runs and 30 RBI.

The switch-hitter's longest run of playing time came last season after Magglio Ordonez was injured. Borchard batted .174 in 63 games (201 at-bats) with nine home runs and 20 RBI. On Aug. 30, 2004, in a makeup game against the Philadelphia Phillies, he hit a 504-foot home run off Brett Myers, the longest home run in U.S. Cellular Field history.

Borchard had a strong second half at Class AAA Charlotte and batted .261 with 28 home runs and 66 RBI for the Knights this season. Borchard suggested earlier this season that he might be better off with a fresh start in a new organization.

Anderson made his major-league debut for two weeks last month while Scott Podsednik was on the disabled list, and the highlight was his two-homer game Aug. 26 against Seattle.

Bajenaru was recalled for two games last week and pitched a scoreless inning. He was 0-1 with a 10.80 ERA in nine games (81/3 innings) in September 2004.

BREAK TEST: Joe Crede is expected to give his broken right middle finger a stern test this week to better gauge when he might return from the disabled list. He is eligible to return Friday, but there are indications he could be out much longer.

''We don't know anything about it,'' manager Ozzie Guillen said. ''Right now, we're still waiting. We're going to make the decision and see how he feels. He has to feel real good to be activated because I'm not going to activate him just to have a body. Hopefully, he will feel better.''

NO FREE PASS: The Sox still were irked Monday at the erroneous report last month in the New York Daily News that they had voted to forfeit Monday's makeup game instead of losing one of the few days off they had remaining.

''Whoever said that should be punished,'' Guillen said.

''He put the integrity of this team in a bad spot, especially with Major League Baseball. That's funny, but it's not funny because we can get in trouble.''

SHOW TIME: Starting tonight, Orlando ''El Duque'' Hernandez could have as many as six starts in the final month to prove he is deserving of a potential postseason spot in the rotation. Hernandez, who faces the Kansas City Royals at home, has lost four of his last five decisions. He gave up six runs on six hits in five innings last week against the Texas Rangers.

''He had just one bad inning [against Texas], and he has thrown the ball real good since coming back from the [disabled list July 18],'' Guillen said. ''We just haven't scored any runs for him.''

LONG LOST: Jermaine Dye would have his 28th home run in his back pocket by now if rain didn't halt the Aug. 14 White Sox-Red Sox game before it was official. The Sox were leading 5-2 at the time, but all of that was erased and Monday's game was played from the beginning. Also lost from that game were two hits and an RBI from Carl Everett, a two-run double by Paul Konerko and an RBI double from Chris Widger.

Widger's double would have been the 100th of his career. He has not had one since

Im actually anxious to see Borchard get some playing time. It looks like his numbers took a nice turn about mid way through the season in AAA, and I would like to see if he made any significant progress. If he could hit 270-280 and 30 hr's, we would make a nice player in the bigs. We shall see

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Sep 6, 2005 -> 11:28 AM)
As much as i'd like them too I don't think that the Indians are just going to roll over and play dead... Which means that as long as they keep matching us win for win we won't clinch for at least another couple of weeks...

I fully believe that the Indians peaked mostly due to their constant playing of TB. I think that with their series at Min that just ended, they have come back to earth a bit, and we have started to pick it up. MLB is all about who gets hot, and when. And I think we are starting to ramp up at the right time.

On the topic, I fully expect Borchard to get some swings against KC if we can win the first two games.

They probably get in as late-inning replacements in blow outs. Remember, once the division is clinched there's still the home-field to worry about. We're only about 4 1/2 ahead of Boston in that category. Scrubs like Borchard shouldn't see the starting lineup until that's clinched as well.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 6, 2005 -> 12:22 PM)
If Borchard has even a non-terrible month...will he have any trade value at all?

If not, what are the chances he'll be able to get a roster spot (Timo's?) coming out of Spring Training next year?  Otherwise we lose him for nothing.

We won't have him anymore...he can leave after this season...and no trade will take place between now and the end of the month. We paid a s***load for him and got crap.

Its a win-win situation with Borchard. Our only chance to get something for him is to play him and see if we can get his value up. If not, we are going to lose him for nothing or next to nothing anyway.

I am estatic to see that Baj got the call over Adkins, like he should have a month ago.

I also am looking forward to seeing more of the Brian Anderson show.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Sep 6, 2005 -> 06:12 PM)
Its a win-win situation with Borchard.  Our only chance to get something for him is to play him and see if we can get his value up.  If not, we are going to lose him for nothing or next to nothing anyway.

I am estatic to see that Baj got the call over Adkins, like he should have a month ago.

I just hope we put Anderson into the outfield instead of Everett against lefties. If I were Ozzie, I'd try to avoid putting Everett in the field as much as possible to avoid risking injury.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Sep 6, 2005 -> 01:12 PM)
Its a win-win situation with Borchard.  Our only chance to get something for him is to play him and see if we can get his value up.  If not, we are going to lose him for nothing or next to nothing anyway.

I think that will be a long running hit show.