Griffey likely done for year

RME JICO

Didn't see this posted. Looks like Griffey was hurt pretty bad rounding the bases the other day. He may be out for the rest of the year (month). That would have been a disaster if the Sox picked him up and then he got injured like this.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2153942

Good non-move KW!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course, had the Sox acquired him, he would not have been in the situation he was in to get injured.

But, sheesh. Griffey is going to be famous not for his accomplishments on the field, but for his stints on the DL. And that is hard, hard, hard to do with the kind of numbers that Griffey has.

Just came over to post this. That's the thing you rolled the dice on with Griffey...not if he gets hurt....when. And you can bet yer ass he probably would have done something and gotten hurt had he come over. I hate to see him hurt again...but am very glad this deal didn't get done now.

QUOTE(Wanne @ Sep 7, 2005 -> 12:02 AM)
Just came over to post this.  That's the thing you rolled the dice on with Griffey...not if he gets hurt....when.  And you can bet yer ass he probably would have done something and gotten hurt had he come over.  I hate to see him hurt again...but am very glad this deal didn't get done now.

yikes i think griffey did his job of distracting our team all August.

Be gone evil spirits.

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ Sep 7, 2005 -> 07:34 AM)
This shows why Cincy ownership is dumb.  They had a chance to unload this guy, after years of wasting money on him, and they f***ed it up.  Enjoy being horrible for the next few years.  Congrats! :cheers

Evil will always triumph over good because good is dumb.(namethatquote)

LOL, Lindner can sell his team with its injured star now. Im sure it is that much easier to unload the team now.

Wow that totally sucks for him... But hopefully it's not as serious as they think it is...

I am glad now we didn't trade for him though...

That last part of the article did it for me... He's already scheduled to have two surguries regardless, that was a huge risk for the Sox to even try to take...

Yeah I don't think his season is over and I just don;t get why so many people (a lot of pundits too) take satisfaction in Griffey's injuries. Griffey plays hard and he will be back if he can be this year. You are right about that injury not happening if he was here. Some injuries are goign to happen no matter where (Jaret Wright's was one which probably would have happened here) but there are many others like Scott Rolen or Roy Halladay where they are just because of a particular circumstance.

I wonder why no one is saying that these injuries are some sort of defect. I mean, this is the second or third time he's pulled part of a tendon off a bone. I can't remember a lot of other players having the same type of injury more than once. I'm sorry he's hurt...but I wonder if this is a career ender.

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Sep 7, 2005 -> 10:01 AM)
I wonder why no one is saying that these injuries are some sort of defect.  I mean, this is the second or third time he's pulled part of a tendon off a bone.  I can't remember a lot of other players having the same type of injury more than once.  I'm sorry he's hurt...but I wonder if this is a career ender.

From what i have read, i gathered that KGJ didnt do much to augment his natural strength. Basically, he just went out and played. He rarely worked out, ran, did stamina excercises. So as he got older, it started to catch up to him. Im not saying this is the reason, but it certainly can be a symptom to his problem with staying healthy now.

QUOTE(Antonio Osuna @ Sep 7, 2005 -> 12:28 AM)
Of course, had the Sox acquired him, he would not have been in the situation he was in to get injured.

But, sheesh. Griffey is going to be famous not for his accomplishments on the field, but for his stints on the DL. And that is hard, hard, hard to do with the kind of numbers that Griffey has.

Yeah I was thinking the same thing, but who knows, maybe he could've gotten injured even worse hear.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Sep 7, 2005 -> 08:42 AM)
From what i have read, i gathered that KGJ didnt do much to augment his natural strength. Basically, he just went out and played.  He rarely worked out, ran, did stamina excercises. So as he got older, it started to catch up to him. Im not saying this is the reason, but it certainly can be a symptom to his problem with staying healthy now.

The way he played the outfield as a youngster had to play a role also...he was all over the place, banging into walls, sprinting everywhere...it was amazing to watch, but his whole body has to have taken a ridiculous beating in the process. He's got an incredible swing...but he seriously belongs in no other role than as a DH right now, just for his own sake.

1) Griffey most likely would not of had the same injury had the Sox acquired him.

2) Most likely he is not out for the year.

3) Even if he is out for the year, he'll be back at the beginning of next year, so assuming Cincy really didn't want to trade him, I don't see how this would change anything. They lose him for the last month of this year but still have him for next year and the future.

4) You should not take pleasure in a players injury especially in this case, we don't trade for him, he gets injured and that makes you happy? It shouldn't.

*4 is not directed at anyone inparticular, just the overall feeling I'm getting from a lot of Sox fans.