Griffey likely done for year

RME JICO

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Sep 7, 2005 -> 12:11 PM)
4) You should not take pleasure in a players injury especially in this case, we don't trade for him, he gets injured and that makes you happy? It shouldn't.

*4 is not directed at anyone inparticular, just the overall feeling I'm getting from a lot of Sox fans.

Where are you getting this from? I don't see anyone happy. And I said congrats to the team for not being smart and it costing them, again.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Sep 7, 2005 -> 07:57 AM)
This is just fate's way of pokey Cincy's ownership right in the eye for teasing us like that.

I'll never understand why they think that team is worth more with Griffey, than without him and having the payroll flexibility.

really, if there's ever a reason to believe what goes around comes around (karma), this is it.

QUOTE(AirScott @ Sep 7, 2005 -> 12:26 PM)
really, if there's ever a reason to believe what goes around comes around (karma), this is it.

I don't see how it is.

The team didn't want to trade him, that's their choice.

He's most likely not even out for the rest of the year and even if he were, he's still comming back at the beginning of next year. So they'd still have Griffey as they wanted, just not for the rest of a pointless Reds month.

I've wanted Griffey here bcoz he will definitely add the big thump in our batting order. But the often wrong Bruuuuce said Jeter didnt want Griffey in a yankee uniform bcoz Griffey doesnt run out ground balls hit to him and sometimes he doesnt do batting practice with the team. The reason for that is Griffey and the Reds have talked about trying to keep him healthy that way. Just bad luck for Griffey each year.

QUOTE(Ozzie Montana @ Sep 7, 2005 -> 04:47 PM)
I agree.  I didnt see him missing the rest of the season either maybe a few days but that's it.  Also,  OFFTOPIC  Morse from the Mariners and the guy we included in the trade with Seattle has been suspended for steroid use.

Already a thread on this over in ATH.

QUOTE(WinninUgly @ Sep 7, 2005 -> 12:25 AM)
Didn't see this posted.  Looks like Griffey was hurt pretty bad rounding the bases the other day.  He may be out for the rest of the year (month).  That would have been a disaster if the Sox picked him up and then he got injured like this.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2153942

Good non-move KW!

Hindsight is 20/20 if he was here he might not of got hurt at all nobody knows so i do not give KW credit for what happened at all :gosoxretro:

QUOTE(Soxfest @ Sep 7, 2005 -> 10:29 PM)
Hindsight is 20/20 if he was here he might not of got hurt at all nobody knows so i do not give KW credit for what happened at all :gosoxretro:

You have blind hate for kenny williams at this point. Sox would need to win two or three world seriosu before a select few of you would give him props and say he did just a decent job.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Sep 7, 2005 -> 10:30 PM)
You have blind hate for kenny williams at this point. Sox would need to win two or three world seriosu before a select few of you would give him props and say he did just a decent job.

Because I do not give him credit because Griffey got hurt, he done fine with this team but he is not fortune teller.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Sep 7, 2005 -> 12:29 PM)
I don't see how it is.

The team didn't want to trade him, that's their choice.

He's most likely not even out for the rest of the year and even if he were, he's still comming back at the beginning of next year. So they'd still have Griffey as they wanted, just not for the rest of a pointless Reds month.

in my eyes it is. it made sense for everybody involved to trade Griffey, and they didn't. they have one or two starting pitchers to build around, and trading Griffey could have gotten them 2 possible future starting pitchers. was Eric Milton really the answer to their rotation needs?

QUOTE(qwerty @ Sep 7, 2005 -> 08:30 PM)

If KW does not win Exec of the Year...someone needs to put a hit out on Billy Beane.

QUOTE(AirScott @ Sep 7, 2005 -> 11:12 PM)
in my eyes it is.  it made sense for everybody involved to trade Griffey, and they didn't.  they have one or two starting pitchers to build around, and trading Griffey could have gotten them 2 possible future starting pitchers.  was Eric Milton really the answer to their rotation needs?

When the majority owner is more interested in getting more money back when he sells the team rather than putting a winning product out on the field, not it's not karma. There's a reason they didn't want to unload Griffey no matter how much sense the trade made for both teams from a winning point of view, Reds ownership is still happy even if Griffey is out for the next 2 or 3 games.

• 2 weeks later...

It's thread bump time again, boys and girls!

Ken Griffey Jr. is now officially done for the season. He hasn't played in 15 straight games.

Ken Griffey Jr. will have surgery on his left knee and right hamstring Monday, presumably ending a stellar comeback season for the oft-injured Cincinnati Reds star. The 35-year-old center fielder is expected to be ready for spring training.

He will have arthroscopic surgery to clean out his left knee and treat scar tissue around his hamstring. The hamstring injury threatened his career last season.

Griffey missed his 15th straight game Wednesday night because of a sprained right foot. He is batting .301 with 35 home runs and 92 RBI in 128 games. Griffey is tied with Mickey Mantle for 12th on the career home run list with 536.

Griffey hurt his foot rounding second base in early September in a game against Atlanta. At the time, the Reds said they thought he'd be able to play again this year.