Borchard wants a chance, or else

RockRaines

Borchard wants chance - or else

Wednesday, September 7, 2005

By Joe Cowley

Staff writerTuesday, Joe Borchard put on a White Sox uniform for the first time this season.

The outfielder, the Sox's first-round pick in 2000, couldn't help but wonder whether it would be one of the last times.

According to Borchard, if the Sox decide to take him off their 40-man roster during the offseason, he will opt to become a free agent.

While Borchard would like to remain with the club that gave him the largest signing bonus for a drafted player in club history ($5.3 million), he knows there doesn't appear to be an outfield opening anytime soon.

Jermaine Dye, Scott Podsednik and Aaron Rowand are all signed through next season, and Borchard knows highly touted prospect Brian Anderson has jumped him in the pecking order.

In fact, Anderson and relief pitcher Jeff Bajenaru were called up Tuesday, along with Borchard.

"I just need to get in that place where I'm needed and wanted," Borchard said. "Where that might be, who knows? When the time comes, that will be more of an issue then. We'll definitely have to go over some things.

"It's one of those things where you just have to stumble into the right situation, and it's tough to gauge when that will happen."

Borchard struggled during the first month of the season at Triple-A Charlotte. He finished April hitting .150 and was hearing whispers he'd fallen out of favor with the club.

"It seemed like the window had been closed for me, but at the same time, I knew there was a lot of time in the season," Borchard said. "I wasn't just going to give up on it, even if some people gave up on me."

Borchard decided to stop putting pressure on himself and just have fun. Sure enough, his numbers improved. The switch-hitter finished the season for the Knights hitting .263 with 29 home runs and 67 RBI.

"It was big for me because I had such a bad start, and from the middle of May on, I was able to put it behind me and put together my best season to date," Borchard said.

Borchard said he's eager to see how things play out.

"I'm not sure what the future holds for me here, and I think that is the beauty of it," he said. "It gives me an opportunity to do a number of things."

Road to recovery

Joe Crede doesn't know if he'll be ready to come off the disabled list by the weekend when he's eligible, but the Sox third baseman feels a lot better about his broken right middle finger than he did last week.

Tuesday, Crede took ground balls for the first time in more than a week and was able to make throws from third base to first with a lot less pain.

"(Tuesday) was the first day I threw since last week and it went well," Crede said. "I'm a lot further along than I thought I would be. It started off slow, but got the ball out there. I threw it where I wanted to throw it, so the goal was accomplished. I still have some numbness in the tip of the finger, but got through it."

Tuesday's session also eased his mind. Crede said late last week he was worried his season could be in jeopardy.

"Last week, I was concerned because I couldn't throw it (the ball) where I wanted to and there was a lot of pain," he said. "The last thing you want on your mind is not knowing where the ball is going to go when you let it go."

Touch 'em all

According to manager Ozzie Guillen, he and his coaching staff had a three-hour meeting with general manager Ken Williams to discuss the plans for rookie pitcher Brandon McCarthy after the right-hander had his second straight impressive outing Monday at Boston. The plan is to use McCarthy out of the bullpen. "This kid is not Roger Clemens, c'mon," Guillen said. "He's just had a couple of great games when we need it." ... Even with closer Dustin Hermanson still battling back problems, Guillen said nothing has changed as far as who'd be working in save situations. "When we have a save opportunity in the right place, Hermanson's going to have the ball," Guillen said. Hermanson earned the save in the Sox's 6-5 win over Kansas City on Tuesday night.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Sep 7, 2005 -> 02:37 PM)
According to manager Ozzie Guillen, he and his coaching staff had a three-hour meeting with general manager Ken Williams to discuss the plans for rookie pitcher Brandon McCarthy after the right-hander had his second straight impressive outing Monday at Boston. The plan is to use McCarthy out of the bullpen. "This kid is not Roger Clemens, c'mon," Guillen said. "He's just had a couple of great games when we need it." ...

That's fine Ozzie...but Duque isn't the same pitcher he was when he had postseason success. And if Ozzie foolishly has any desire of starting Duque in the postseason, he needs to rest his arm as much as possible right now. I'm not real sure why Ozzie seems intent on getting every last pitch out of Duque's arm in every start.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Sep 7, 2005 -> 02:40 PM)
Borchard really said nothing wrong. I am actaully rooting for Borch, hopfully he can come out and at least hold his own up here, and increase his value.  A package of Marte, Borch and one of the SP's could bring alot back to this club.......

How could we trade him though? Would we have to keep him on our 40 man?

As much as I love Borchard as a person, probably the nicest Sox player I've ever met, he never lived up the huge expectations that came with that signing bonus. Quite frankly, I know most Sox fans are tired of hearing about him and he's best off going elsewhere.

Only chance he is back next season is if PK leaves, Dye moves to 1B, Anderson plays RF and Borchard is the backup OF. Even then, he'd have to compete with Timo and that's a longshot.

I figure he'll go to a West coast team in the offseason.

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 8, 2005 -> 12:45 AM)
Borchard is still a fun player to watch at the plate.  You never know when he'll just crush one.  He might as well start packing his bags for the Washington Nationals.

I'd put my money on them or the Pittsburgh Pirates. They are DESPERATE for a power hitting corner outfielder besides Bay, and would probably take a chance on Borch.

And no please don't mention Vinny "I'm not going to say it" Castilla in any possible National deal.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2005 @ Sep 8, 2005 -> 12:45 AM)
Joe actually hit a very solid .287 in his last 109 games at Charlotte.

Yep, but at a hitters paradise and when Brian Anderson hits over .300 in his 1st stop there, it's not going to be enough.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Sep 7, 2005 -> 02:59 PM)
I'd put my money on them or the Pittsburgh Pirates. They are DESPERATE for a power hitting corner outfielder besides Bay, and would probably take a chance on Borch.

And no please don't mention Vinny "I'm not going to say it" Castilla in any possible National deal.

I'm not anticipating getting anything for Borchard. He'll become a FA.

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 8, 2005 -> 01:03 AM)
I'm not anticipating getting anything for Borchard.  He'll become a FA.

Yeah probably so, most teams know Borch will be leaving, so why give up anything for him. I'm just speculating on teams that will be interested in him when that happens. Even Colorado perhaps.

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ Sep 7, 2005 -> 03:04 PM)
See ya later Joe...we hardly knew ye.

When I hear his name, a certain song comes to mind....it goes something like this...

"Come on, take the money and run.  Oooh, ooh, ooh,

Come on, take the money and run."

Wow, tough crowd. I give Borchard credit for toughing it out. He could have easily left baseball for the NFL and likely more money.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2005 @ Sep 8, 2005 -> 01:06 AM)
I know.  I wasn't saying it was.  I was just surprised he hit for that high of average over that amount of time.

The slow start killed him again as usual. He seems to have done that for the last couple of years down at AAA.

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 8, 2005 -> 01:06 AM)
Wow, tough crowd.  I give Borchard credit for toughing it out.  He could have easily left baseball for the NFL and likely more money.

Watching Chad Hutchison and Drew Henson, and what they've done today, he's probably glad he didn't. :lol:

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Sep 7, 2005 -> 03:08 PM)
Watching Chad Hutchison and Drew Henson, and what they've done today, he's probably glad he didn't.  :lol:

I agree with that, especially as I was never very impressed with his QB skills at Stanford. I was just pointing out that to make a reference to him stealing money wasn't necessarily right in this case.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Sep 7, 2005 -> 10:09 AM)
I don't blame him for wondering what the team's plans are for him. I wonder the same thing.

What can the plans be? We already have an outfield back-log, and Brian Anderson waiting in the wings. DH? Could be I guess. Get rid of Timo's ass and keep him? He should play for free, given the money he has stolen so far.

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Sep 7, 2005 -> 10:12 AM)
He immortalized himself as a Sox trivia answer with the 504' blast.  And, yeah, you'd think 5.3 million would have got us a little more.

I saw the 504' blast...which came shortly after our fall from grace in '04...so I pretty much yawned and went and got a beer. :P

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Sep 7, 2005 -> 03:12 PM)
He immortalized himself as a Sox trivia answer with the 504' blast.  And, yeah, you'd think 5.3 million would have got us a little more.

At least he's dedicated himself to baseball and made the effort we put into developing him worth it (unlike Henson). Also, is it Borchard's fault that KW refused to trade him?

Borchard may be a good DH option if he can prove that he can hit at least 270, because of his threat of going deep at any time. But in all likely-hood he will be released. Too bad considering I would like to package him up with marte as well, and possibly El Duque. Worst package ever, but im sure we could get some decent talent.