Borchard wants a chance, or else

RockRaines

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 7, 2005 -> 09:06 AM)
Wow, tough crowd.  I give Borchard credit for toughing it out.  He could have easily left baseball for the NFL and likely more money.

fathom im with you. as hawk and DJ mentioned borchard has been a class act. he stuck out the boobirds last year and pointed the finger right at himself. he has done nothing but impress me as a person and to be honest, i would think that many a team would be interested in a guy who just hit 29 homers in AAA. i personally feel for borch, and alot of people here like to give him crap, but the reality of the situation is that no, he never really helped the team, but even if he hit like a normal AAA callup last year, the season would have been lost anyways. i hope he finds a place where he can have an oppertunity. honestly, left field for the cubs sounds about right

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Joe seems like a nice guy. I kinda felt sorry for him at Soxfest this year when people were booing him and stuff. Hopefully, he'll catch on with another team and get another chance. He was very frustrating to watch for us, though. It was either a K or HR. Hopefully, he proves himself in his limited time this final month.

Unless the team chooses not to resign Everett and Thomas for salary reasons in the offseason, I just can't see where he'd fit in...Anderson clearly has cemented the #1 up and coming outfielder spot, with Borchard falling into line behind him.

I like the kid, I think he has Adam Dunn type potential, and he had a very good 2nd half at AAA, but I think we've probably just run out of time with him.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Sep 7, 2005 -> 08:40 AM)
Borchard really said nothing wrong. I am actaully rooting for Borch, hopfully he can come out and at least hold his own up here, and increase his value.  A package of Marte, Borch and one of the SP's could bring alot back to this club.......

I see nothing wrong with what he said and his comments in other papers were not inflammatory at all...something about enjoying the ride. And at $5mil. plus I think I could enjoy the ride. In fact, I'm enjoying it and not even getting paid.

I don't see where he fits in Sox' plans, but believe he would have some trade value and they shouldn't let him go for nothing...someone would take a flier on him.

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 7, 2005 -> 02:40 PM)
That's fine Ozzie...but Duque isn't the same pitcher he was when he had postseason success.  And if Ozzie foolishly has any desire of starting Duque in the postseason, he needs to rest his arm as much as possible right now.  I'm not real sure why Ozzie seems intent on getting every last pitch out of Duque's arm in every start.

I agree Fathom. Also, that was the best backhanded compliment I have seen from Oz so far.

QUOTE(robinventura23 @ Sep 7, 2005 -> 11:12 AM)
Joe seems like a nice guy.  I kinda felt sorry for him at Soxfest this year when people were booing him and stuff.  Hopefully, he'll catch on with another team and get another chance.  He was very frustrating to watch for us, though.  It was either a K or HR.  Hopefully, he proves himself in his limited time this final month.

I had no idea he got booed at soxfest. Thats brutal, when did he get booed? If anyone remembers.

QUOTE(Sox Hustler @ Sep 7, 2005 -> 04:24 PM)
I had no idea he got booed at soxfest. Thats brutal, when did he get booed? If anyone remembers.

When ESPN1000 broadcasted from there, they interviewed him. When he was introduced, you could hear the crowd boo him.

QUOTE(robinventura23 @ Sep 7, 2005 -> 04:31 PM)
When ESPN1000 broadcasted from there, they interviewed him.  When he was introduced, you could hear the crowd boo him.

Ouch, that hurts just thinking about it. Hopefully he does good wherever he ends up, I've heard nothing but good things about that guy on here and I wish him the best.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Sep 7, 2005 -> 10:40 AM)
Borchard really said nothing wrong. I am actaully rooting for Borch, hopfully he can come out and at least hold his own up here, and increase his value.  A package of Marte, Borch and one of the SP's could bring alot back to this club.......

GOOD RIDDANCE TO YOU BORCHARD :chair

I do not think the White Sox will take him off the 40-man roster. I believe they will try and trade him either in the fall or during spring training next year.

Everyone has hoped Joe would finally come around. His numbers indicate he may have just done that.

Since May 1st he has hit .283 with 27 HR and 60 RBI with an OBP of .350 give or take a few sacrifices.

Since June 1st he has hit .292 with 23 HR and 50 RBI with an OBP of .361 give or take a few sacrifices.

I'm not really sure what else we should expect from the guy. His strikeout rate improved nicely over the season.

It is a strikeout per every 3.45 AB's for the full season. From May 1st on it is one per every 3.70 AB's and from June 1st on it is one strikeout per every 4.16 AB's.

At this point he has done this year what is expected of him. If there is no opportunity on the Sox (and I doubt there will be), then he should move on, whether it is his choice or they trade him.

I agree Fathom. Also, that was the best backhanded compliment I have seen from Oz so far.

Agreed. What a s***ass thing to say, Ozzie. No one is proclaiming BMac as the next Roger Clemens, but you CAN'T look past what he has done in his last 2 starts. He has dominated 2 MLB lineups. Besides, what incentive is there to throw Duque out there every 5th day during the regular season for 110-120 pitches? To see if you can make his arm fall off? Now is a great time to let him rest....sometimes I just have to shake my head at Ozzie.

QUOTE(Capn12 @ Sep 8, 2005 -> 01:04 AM)
Agreed. What a s***ass thing to say, Ozzie. No one is proclaiming BMac as the next Roger Clemens, but you CAN'T look past what he has done in his last 2 starts. He has dominated 2 MLB lineups. Besides, what incentive is there to throw Duque out there every 5th day during the regular season for 110-120 pitches? To see if you can make his arm fall off? Now is a great time to let him rest....sometimes I just have to shake my head at Ozzie.

I'll answer your question. Ozzie is giving El Duque every chance to prove, now, that can be counted on to pitch 110-120 pitches. If he is unable to do so, which has been the case so far, then that will be figured into the equation when determining who the 4th starter will be in the playoffs.

I keep saying that Ozzie has long term goals in mind and keeps giving guys chances to prove what they can and cannot do. When people scream because Ozzie leaves El Duque in for an inning more than they think he should, and say he doesn't know how to handle a pitching staff, they aren't looking at that big picture at all.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Sep 8, 2005 -> 02:10 AM)
I'll answer your question.  Ozzie is giving El Duque every chance to prove, now, that can be counted on to pitch 110-120 pitches.  If he is unable to do so, which has been the case so far, then that will be figured into the equation when determining who the 4th starter will be in the playoffs. 

I keep saying that Ozzie has long term goals in mind and keeps giving guys chances to prove what they can and cannot do.  When people scream because Ozzie leaves El Duque in for an inning more than they think he should, and say he doesn't know how to handle a pitching staff, they aren't looking at that big picture at all.

I understand that YAS, but Hernandez's fragileness is not a new subject. You have a pitcher who is in a groove so to speak in BMac, who can save a bit of wear and tear on your playoff savvy, but aging #3/4 guy. Why not Let BMac have the next 2-3 starts, then put Duque back in there when it gets close to playoff time. Its debatable whether or not Hernandez would outperform Contreras at this point as the #3 guy in the playoffs. We base all of Duque's 'clutch playoff pitching' from a younger version of the pitcher we have.

QUOTE(Capn12 @ Sep 8, 2005 -> 01:13 AM)
I understand that YAS, but Hernandez's fragileness is not a new subject. You have a pitcher who is in a groove so to speak in BMac, who can save a bit of wear and tear on your playoff savvy, but aging #3/4 guy. Why not Let BMac have the next 2-3 starts, then put Duque back in there when it gets close to playoff time. Its debatable whether or not Hernandez would outperform Contreras at this point as the #3 guy.

Because, if Hernandez cannot recapture the ability to go 100-120 pitches, then having him in the playoff rotation could backfire if and when we have to burn the bullpen to finish out his start. Ozzie's giving him the opportunity. Hernandez hasn't grabbed it. Yet.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Sep 8, 2005 -> 01:10 AM)
I'll answer your question.  Ozzie is giving El Duque every chance to prove, now, that can be counted on to pitch 110-120 pitches.  If he is unable to do so, which has been the case so far, then that will be figured into the equation when determining who the 4th starter will be in the playoffs. 

I keep saying that Ozzie has long term goals in mind and keeps giving guys chances to prove what they can and cannot do.  When people scream because Ozzie leaves El Duque in for an inning more than they think he should, and say he doesn't know how to handle a pitching staff, they aren't looking at that big picture at all.

Question Answered.

Last three starts.

IP     H  ER  BB   K

> 90 Pitches 1.2 7 8 1 0

I still think that the 2005 version of El Duque in the playoffs is going to be relegated to being that Game 3 or 4 starter when the pen has had rest from Buehrle/Garcia. If you get 6 IP out of him in a playoff game, consider it a success IMO. This isn't the same Hernanzed that sparkled in the postseason for the Yankees.

They don't call me Captain Obvious for nothing.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Sep 8, 2005 -> 01:23 AM)
I think he'll still give him a couple of more opps.

No doubt he'll get more opportunities.

Does he deserve them? Probably not. Ozzie should accept that Duque is a 5 inning pitcher and be done with it.

What will more opportunities cost? Maybe Duque's arm. We should be protecting his arm, not seeing how many pitches it can take before it snaps again.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Sep 8, 2005 -> 01:41 AM)
No doubt he'll get more opportunities.

Does he deserve them? Probably not. Ozzie should accept that Duque is a 5 inning pitcher and be done with it.

What will more opportunities cost? Maybe Duque's arm. We should be protecting his arm, not seeing how many pitches it can take before it snaps again.

Hell, maybe it's a conspiracy to get El Duque on the DL so they can justify keeping Bmac. :P

QUOTE(Capn12 @ Sep 8, 2005 -> 01:34 AM)
I still think that the 2005 version of El Duque in the playoffs is going to be relegated to being that Game 3 or 4 starter when the pen has had rest from Buehrle/Garcia. If you get 6 IP out of him in a playoff game, consider it a success IMO. This isn't the same Hernanzed that sparkled in the postseason for the Yankees.

They don't call me Captain Obvious for nothing.

Of course, you'd be taking a risk by assuming MB and FG do in fact go deep into those games.