2006 rotation

GreatScott82

Not that I want to think about next year right now (with the year we are having) but our 5 starting pitchers are signed at least through the 2006 season. and IMO Bmac is an upgrade over El-duque. Is it possible that El-duque can move into the bullpen? And he can spot start when we need him during the rest of the year? Because right now Contreras IMO is finally turning into the pitcher we all thought he could be, Garcia is damn good, Buerhle is Mr. Reliable, Garland broke out of his mediocracy and BMac is the next big thing. So why not put El-duque in the pen. He can be pretty damn effective in there for us.

2006 Starting Rotation:

Buerhle

Garcia

Garland

Contreras

McCarthy

Bullpen:

Jenks, Cotts, Pollite, Vizciano, Hermanson, El-duque and a lefty replacement for Marte.

Thoughts?

But next year is next year- lets do some major post season damage this year baby!!!!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If we trade a starter, it's much more likely to be Contreras than Duque. Contreras will never have more value than he'll have this offseason, and especially with one year left on his deal, I can see him being used to bring us some offense. I have no clue how possible it is, but a package of Contreras/Marte/Sweeney for someone like Hank Blalock would be perfect. Duque has very little trade value now days.

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 7, 2005 -> 09:59 AM)
If we trade a starter, it's much more likely to be Contreras than Duque.  Contreras will never have more value than he'll have this offseason, and especially with one year left on his deal, I can see him being used to bring us some offense.  I have no clue how possible it is, but a package of Contreras/Marte/Sweeney for someone like Hank Blalock would be perfect.  Duque has very little trade value now days.

I get very nervous with Viz and Marte in the bullpen. I would love to package one or both of them to get another hitter. Baj would fit in nicely.

QUOTE(Jimbo's Drinker @ Sep 7, 2005 -> 04:11 PM)
I get very nervous with Viz and Marte in the bullpen.  I would love to package one or both of them to get another hitter.  Baj would fit in nicely.

Of the three pitchers you mention, Vizcaino has the best chance of being on the club next season.

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 7, 2005 -> 11:14 AM)
Of the three pitchers you mention, Vizcaino has the best chance of being on the club next season.

If we could get a little something for Marte over the Off-season, I'd dump him in a heart beat. I'm sick of watching him constantly walk left hand hitters and I'm pretty sure Ozzie is as well.

Viz is an every other year guy so next year he should have a sub 2 ERA.

I don't see Baj making the team out of spring training next season.

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 7, 2005 -> 11:19 AM)
Trading Marte straight up likely won't get you a big impact player.  However, adding Marte in a deal with someone like Contreras can definitely help sweeten the deal.  There are a ton of teams that are really hurting for a lefty reliever.

and not all those teams know that he is garbage against left handed batters.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Sep 7, 2005 -> 11:39 AM)

I'd say in a lot of teams eyes, Marte is the same stud he was in '03. He'll have a lot of value in a package deal and could really aid in landing us some offensive help.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Sep 7, 2005 -> 04:39 PM)

He was terrific against lefties last season. In the world of relievers, it's common for guys to have statistical anomalies once in a while. Look at Viz this year vs lefties compared to last year. Marte will have a lot of value on the trade block.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Sep 7, 2005 -> 11:44 AM)
I'd say in a lot of teams eyes, Marte is the same stud he was in '03. He'll have a lot of value in a package deal and could really aid in landing us some offensive help.

Even ESPN was quoted saying he is one of the best LH relievers in the game. I personally, would rather have Cotts.

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 7, 2005 -> 11:44 AM)
He was terrific against lefties last season.  In the world of relievers, it's common for guys to have statistical anomalies once in a while.  Look at Viz this year vs lefties compared to last year.  Marte will have a lot of value on the trade block.

Viz is actually pretty consistent, one bad year, one good year, one bad year, one good year and so on.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Sep 7, 2005 -> 11:48 AM)
Even ESPN was quoted saying he is one of the best LH relievers in the game.  I personally, would rather have Cotts.

I think just about every Sox fan out there would take Cotts over Marte.

53 IP 4W 0L 1HR 23BB 53K 1.87ERA 1.00WHIP .163BAA

Do you realize that Neal Cotts has given up all of his runs this year on the first pitch? :huh:

I'd disagree with trading Jose. We've had a lot of patience with him and it's finally beginning to payoff, not a good time to deal him. Granted, his value is high, but his value is also high to this team.

Duque has got to be the odd man out and I actually believe that he will have some real value on the trade market. FA market isn't all that great this offseason for pitchers and there are many teams with absolute CRAP 4th and 5th starters. I'm sure that many of those teams would be willing to dish out $4-5M next season for a nice upgrade in those rotation slots. The way the Count has been pitching, he's a #1 on many teams yet his reputation will not return talent equivalent to that which an ace should net us.

Personally I would not trade any of the 6 starters, there's simply no reason to. Too many things can happen, El Duque will not pitch a full year and if he absolutely has to, McCarthy can spend some time in Charlotte in '06.

It's great to have this depth, pitching wins, why deplete it?

Offense is easier to pick up than pitching, they can sign somebody or trade prospects to get some offense.

What happens to Contreras if El Duque isn't around him next year?

What happens to our starting rotation if we trade Contreras, keep El Duque, and Duque spends another 2 months on the DL, something I'd consider to be about as certain as anything else for next year.

Marte's issue still seems to be mechanical...he doesn't have the follow through he was using 2 years ago, and it's really hurting him. But here's the 1 thing to remember with Marte...Ozzie seems to demand 2 left handed pitchers in his bullpen. That's why Walker came up midseason several times. If Marte were moved...we need to find another left handed relief pitcher, because Walker cannot be considered an option right now.

It's also worth considering whether Duque could have value out of the pen...as specifically a long reliever. He would probably throw fewer pitches than he has all year here, could give starters a break when they get in trouble, and it could help his arm.

And maybe most importantly...we don't know how things will look after the postseason. If Contreras or Duque comes out and gives up 1 run in like 20 innings in the playoffs or something ridiculous like that, their value could go through the roof in the offseason. Conversely, if they pull a Javier Vazquez or a Kevin Brown and self-destruct against the Yankees or BoSox...there's a decent chance no one out there would want them.

Just a few things I'm tossing out...this will be an interesting offseason.

Some interesting comments by all of you guys. But as far as trading Contreras this offseason- i just wouldn't do it. I kind of like Jim H's comments regarding depth. What happens if BMac struggle and does need some more time in Triple-A. What happens if we trade El-duque or Contreras also. Then we go through that 5th starter black hole again. Pitching depth is just too important to deplete.

KWs top priorities this offseason should be:

1. Resign AJ, Pauly and Jon G to solid extensions.

2. Figure out the DH role. How is Frank's health? Can Jurassic return and have another productive season in '06? What are the other DH options out there?

3. Go after a solid defensive 3b free agent who can hit for average. Sorry Crede fans. But we need just alittle more pop in our lineup. Blalock would be nice, but he is not worth Contreras, Marte and Sweeney. Any solid 3B free agents in '06?

4. The Timo ERA has to end, make Anderson our 4th outfielder.

5. Keep the rest of the team AS IS!!! We are 86-51 for crying out-loud!! I LOVE THIS TEAM!!!!!!

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Sep 7, 2005 -> 12:23 PM)
3. Go after a solid defensive 3b free agent who can hit for average. Sorry Crede fans. But we need just alittle more pop in our lineup. Blalock would be nice, but he is not worth Contreras, Marte and Sweeney. Any solid 3B free agents in '06?

I couldnt disagree more. Blalock is probably the best or second best defensive 3B in the AL. Not to mention his age and his hitting. I think he is almost worth more than what is offered.

QUOTE(JimH @ Sep 7, 2005 -> 12:31 PM)
I am pretty sure Blalock is a Boras client so IMO there is no way the White Sox trade for him.

If anyone from Texas is available it is Texiera, as they have Adrian Gonzalez waiting in the wings. They have tried to trade their power hitters for pitching in the past, and I could really see a Marte/Contreras for Texiera deal being something that could happen.