Would You Ban this Poster?

LVSoxFan

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Sep 7, 2005 -> 10:10 AM)
Have you been over there lately? If you say anything remotely negative you're banned. Somehow I've managed to stay afloat, not really sure how.

Yeah, I post there a little bit too.

It's a different vibe for sure, a little more restricted than here.

If it works for them, it's all good, but I do enjoy posting here more.

Even with the new "shiny happy" policy...... ;)

QUOTE(LVSoxFan @ Sep 7, 2005 -> 04:40 PM)
Oh God, now I'm gonna get shot! :unsure:

LV stands for Lakeview.  Yes, I live five minutes from Wrigley field, but have been a lifelong Sox fan and haul my ass on the el to the games every week.

The downside is that I'm surrounded by Cubbery.  The upside is that when I'm out and about in a Sox jersey, people will come up to me, and give the handshake and nod, as we're comrades in Cubland.  Or yell out "Go Sox" as they're passing by.  It's like a band of brothers over here.

If you ever need to know where the Sox-friendly bars are here, hit me up.

maybe there will be a microwave effect, where one sox fan in lake view starts a catalyst reaction...and it becomes a hotbed of sox fans.

QUOTE(LVSoxFan @ Sep 7, 2005 -> 11:05 AM)
Here is something I posted right at the end of August, after the Texas series, on another board:

This BETTER be a damn good homestand, because

1) I'm tired of watching them lose

2) I'm even MORE tired of watching them lose at home

It's time to kick some Comedy Central ass. Look, having a crappy home record and winning on the road isn't going to do us much good when... we have home field advantage to start the playoffs.

The bad news is: the 1st half team is AWOL. Where oh where are our little smallball, squeak-it-out, win-every-series wonders?

The good news is: if that was the slump and we go on a tear in September, then the timing couldn't be better. Usually our collapse each year starts in August--we hang in there until the ASB, then the Twins juice us and by August we know we're toast. Just like last year. At least the year before with Loaiza's Big Year they managed to last until... September. And if I'm not mistaken, Loaiza's loss there in Minnesota was sort of the beginning of the end that year.

So here we have it. Final month. Do or die. We either teach the division a lesson, or we give it up by Oct. 1st.

Let's keep things in perspective: while everybody wants to win the WS, the first goal--face it, we didn't expect to be this good this fast--was to win the division, which we haven't been able to do for four years behind Minnesota. If we can get there, let's worry about everything else as it comes. First things first, though: people shouldn't distract themselves with WS fantasies and instead should focus on doing whatever it takes to win the division.

Just a thought...

After a year on the board, 600+ posts, I was denied access.  As it turned out, the moderator had gone into the post and added these comments:

Enjoy it from your sofa, because you won't be here.

First things first... farewell.

And you're welcome. Relieving constant misery is our first responsiblity

I emailed him asking him what was possibly inappropriate about this and pointing out that I've been a loyal poster for that long (and big-time promoter of the board).  No response.

I've been here a couple of times, but I need to hear from Sox fans what would be offensive about this, or inappropriate.  I'm a diehard who's been to 37 games this season thus far.

Remember this was right before September started, and obviously we've started to do just what I said we needed to since then.

And now I'm here, which is fine.  I like what I see.  Hopefully I won't get my ass kicked out of here with no warning!   :huh

Some mods are drunk with power. Considering that I have seen Mods tossing the F-word around like candy at a parade, I feel bad for you. I hope you have a better experience this time.

Edited by Greg The Bull Luzinski

QUOTE(bmags @ Sep 7, 2005 -> 11:52 AM)
maybe there will be a microwave effect, where one sox fan in lake view starts a catalyst reaction...and it becomes a hotbed of sox fans.

Are you suggesting microwaving Lakeview?!? The idea does have some merit, with apologies to the Sox fans in exile up there. :)

QUOTE(Greg The Bull Luzinski @ Sep 7, 2005 -> 11:54 AM)
Some mods are drunk with power.  Considering that I have seen Mods tossing the F-word around like candy at a parade, I feel bad for you.  I hope you have a better experience this time and are able to avoid the mod that banned you.

He will if he stays here at SoxTalk. ;)

QUOTE(LVSoxFan @ Sep 7, 2005 -> 10:05 AM)
Here is something I posted right at the end of August, after the Texas series, on another board:

I've seen posters suspended (possibly banned) for attendance threads and negative posts ranging from the future of Jeremy Reed to Guillen's in-game decision making. But never has their overhanded dictatorship extended to this. Can anyone find anything wrong with what he posted? No one can defend WSI here. I've seen members question their authority before only to be replied with "Start your own board," "pay the bills yourselves."

You have to wonder who they are trying to appease with their stringent rules? The White Sox organization may prefer WSI's tamer posting atmosphere over ours, but last I checked Kenny Williams doesn't pay their bills. Does the occasional interview, radio plug, or newspaper reference somehow give them a belief WSI is a representative of the White Sox? That's just moronic. Fan websites are expected to be outlandish and highly emotional depending on the teams play.

It's understandable to control inappropriate comments. It's quite another to limit political discussions to a road house or ban members without reason. This is a problem I've always had.

I've already spent too much time talking about this. It seems ridiculous to be concerned about fellow fans' website, but they need to know what they're doing wrong before the entire board moves on.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(Greg The Bull Luzinski @ Sep 7, 2005 -> 11:54 AM)
Some mods are drunk with power.  Considering that I have seen Mods tossing the F-word around like candy at a parade, I feel bad for you.  I hope you have a better experience this time and are able to avoid the mod that banned you.

I use the "f" word at WSI, and here, and I've never been banned there. I've also been negative, critical, and even at times I attack Henry - although he deserves it ;)

Yet I somehow manage to do all that within their "rules". It's not that hard, really.

On another note.. they close and move any threads discussing Soxtalk or s***ting on the mods from here to their roadhouse to die. Some professional courtesy perhaps...

:sleep

QUOTE(Steff @ Sep 7, 2005 -> 11:58 AM)
I use the "f" word at WSI, and here, and I've never been banned there. I've also been negative, critical, and even at times I attack Henry - although he deserves it  ;)

Yet I somehow manage to do all that within their "rules". It's not that hard, really.

On another note.. they close and move any threads discussing Soxtalk or s***ting on the mods from here to their roadhouse to die. Some professional courtesy perhaps...

I use the "f" word at WSI, and here, and I've never been banned there. I've also been negative, critical, and even at times I attack Henry - although he deserves it  ;)

I don't think thats a very fair comparison...

I'm pretty sure If I join WSI right now and use foul language I would be banned immediately. Personal relationships and 1,000's of posts have given you the right to speak your mind.

QUOTE(Steff @ Sep 7, 2005 -> 10:58 AM)

You know its different for you and Hendry, Steff. I guarantee you could post an attendance thread without it moving or receiving a suspension.

Did you read what LV posted? Justify that banning. Where in their rules does it state posting legitimate concerns about the team is grounds for banishment?

Professional courtesy? What's professional about a fan-website? Often their moderators take threads and change titles around to insult members. Trolls may deserve it, but should Chisox233 (for example) know he's a "whiner?"

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(Chisoxrd5 @ Sep 7, 2005 -> 12:02 PM)
I don't think thats a very fair comparison...

I'm pretty sure If I join WSI right now and use foul language I would be banned immediately.  Personal relationships and 1,000's of posts have given you the right to speak your mind.

Actually they have a language filter and they ask that members just spell out the language rather than mask it. Masking it will get you banned. But for s***s and giggles.. maybe you should do that.

And for the record.. I know Jason and Co here way better than I know George Bova.

I have no problem with rules or staying in them. I also understand that nobody wants to hear from dark clouds constantly.

But like I said; I was just stating the obvious, not waving a white flag.

I would hope that if I posted something here that ticked a mod off, he/she would:

a) Just delete it

B) PM me

c) email me

d) Or just explain what was inappropriate

Nada. You saw what happened.

And therein lies one of the big differences between Soxtalk and WSI, we let people talk about what they want to talk about, even if not all of us like it.

Personally I don't care what WSI does, and could care less if I ever see a thread about them again. I see it like they have their own thing, and we have ours. People can make their decesions about which format they like better. I can see the appeal of WSI to some, especially when you consider there are a whole lot worse places that people could go for their Sox fixes.

The thing is, as long as people are being decently respectful of each other while talking about this, I don't see this as any different than any of the other conversations that we do let go on here.

I looked back at some of your posts and a couple of times it sounded like you were ready to jump off the nearest tall building because of the way the team was playing.

It looks like one of the mods noticed your constant "dark cloud" behavior and got annoyed by it.

IMHO of course...

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Sep 7, 2005 -> 12:04 PM)
You know its different for you and Hendry, Steff. I guarantee you could post an attendance thread without it moving or receiving a suspension.

Did you read what LV posted? Justify that banning. Where in their rules does it state posting legitimate concerns about the team is grounds for banishment?

Professional courtesy? What's professional about a fan-website? Often their moderators take threads and change titles around to insult members. Trolls may deserve it, but should Chisox233  (for example) know he's a "whiner."

No, I couldn't. Posters there longer than I have been there have been cut at the knees for doing so. They don't want attendance threads, so be it. It's their house.

Yes I read it... justify it? No. I'm not a mod there, and I have no idea of the history, so I can't - and won't. Not fair to either party.

Professional.. yes, I conisder what Jason and Co here and George and Co there do as professional, and they deserve to be respected for their sites and how they run them.

QUOTE(LVSoxFan @ Sep 7, 2005 -> 12:05 PM)
I have no problem with rules or staying in them.  I also understand that nobody wants to hear from dark clouds constantly. 

But like I said; I was just stating the obvious, not waving a white flag.

I would hope that if I posted something here that ticked a mod off, he/she would:

a) Just delete it

B) PM me

c) email me

d) Or just explain what was inappropriate

Nada.  You saw what happened.

They do things different there. It's their gig. So be it. Sorry that happened - but I don't agree with washing your dirty laundry here.

No offense to you at all, and I'm sure you'll like it here.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Sep 7, 2005 -> 11:06 AM)
And therein lies one of the big differences between Soxtalk and WSI, we let people talk about what they want to talk about, even if not all of us like it. 

Personally I don't care what WSI does, and could care less if I ever see a thread about them again.  I see it like they have their own thing, and we have ours.  People can make their decesions about which format they like better.  I can see the appeal of WSI to some, especially when you consider there are a whole lot worse places that people could go for their Sox fixes.

The thing is, as long as people are being decently respectful of each other while talking about this, I don't see this as any different than any of the other conversations that we do let go on here.

Contrary to what their posters may believe, posting foul language is not something which alone puts this website above WSI in my view . It's the freedom to discuss a variety of subjects (political,etc), relationship among members, openness of moderators, freedom for debate without fear and banishment, AND language which, when added together, paints a different picture between the two sites.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(Iwritecode @ Sep 7, 2005 -> 12:06 PM)
I looked back at some of your posts and a couple of times it sounded like you were ready to jump off the nearest tall building because of the way the team was playing.

It looks like one of the mods noticed your constant "dark cloud" behavior and got annoyed by it.

IMHO of course...

History....

They usually have a reason. IMO as well.