Ford Recalling 3.8 million trucks and suvs

KipWellsFan

http://www.cnn.com/2005/AUTOS/09/07/ford_recall/index.html

NEW YORK (CNN/Money) - Ford Motor Co. is recalling about 3.8 million trucks and SUVs to fix a cruise control switch that could overheat and burn even when the vehicles are not running.

The switches were the subject of a recent CNN investigation. (Ford document: Millions of vehicles have fire risk part)

Ford said that its investigation found that brake fluid could leak into electrical components of the speed control system causing them to corrode. "Speed control" is an industry term for what is more commonly known as "cruise control."

"In rare cases, the corrosion in the electrical components can lead to increasing resistance and higher electrical current flow through the system. Together, these conditions could lead to overheating and, possibly, a fire at the switch," the company said in announcing the recall.

The vehicles included in the recall are 1994-2002 Ford F-150s, 1997-2002 Ford Expeditions, 1998-2002 Lincoln Navigators and 1994-1996 Ford Broncos equipped with factory-installed speed control.

Build Ford Tough

Actually...the 9 passenger heavy vans that my geology department uses are all built by Ford...the division tried getting vehicles from GM a few years ago, but those hardly lasted at all under the pounding we gave them...at least for the ones this division has tried, the Fords have been the best survivors.

The same news report I saw last night that mentioned this also mentioned that Toyota was recalling over 1 million Tacoma trucks for a serious defect that could lead to the front wheels disconnecting from the steering system. How come you didn't mention this one also? Could it be because Toyota isn't an American comapny?

QUOTE(EvilMonkey @ Sep 8, 2005 -> 05:47 AM)
The same news report I saw last night that mentioned this also mentioned that Toyota was recalling over 1 million Tacoma trucks for a serious defect that could lead to the front wheels disconnecting from the steering system.  How come you didn't mention this one also?  Could it be because Toyota isn't an American comapny?

I think you might be reaching a little there, evil.

Having had a Mercury product that I have now put on 80K miles in 4 years, I have had 1 recall (fuel pump) and 1 major component die (altenator, but with that mileage, I cannot blame Ford). Brian has sworn by Fords/Mercs and so far so good.

All motor companies have had their share of recalls. Some are pointed out more than others.

Yes it guilts me to cheer for a driver on the dark side (Jeff in his blasted 31 Cingular Chevy).

Toyota is recalling 978,000 sport utility vehicles and pickup trucks because of concern about the power steering system.

The affected vehicles include 4-Runner SUV's, compact pickups and T-100 pickups built between 1989 and 1998.

Toyota says a rod linking the steering wheel and the wheels may fracture under conditions where the steering wheel is turned while the vehicle is stopped.

The automaker plans to notify owners beginning next week.

http://www.wtvynews4.com/news/headlines/1822902.html

s***ty SUVs :P