Put Brandon in the pen this weekend

TLAK

With Hermanson’s back situation and having 6 starters for 4 playoff slots I think we better find out how good Brandon McCarthy is as a reliever.

Nobody’s going to start ahead of Buehrle, Garland or Garcia. We know Oz is in love with El Duke in big games. We also know that Contreras can pitch effectively in relief, as he has done it before. But we don’t know about McCarthy.

He’s certainly not afraid of anyone and, since his return, he has been very effective against two good hitting teams. The White Sox will see nothing but good hitting teams in the playoffs, and the more options not named Vizcaino the better.

He’ll be rested up from his Monday start this weekend, I’d like to see Ozzie spot him a few batters or an inning a couple times against the Angels just to see how he does. Does he warm fast enough? Is he as effective without mulling scouting reports for a week before his appearance? How well does he bounce back from a short outing –is he available next day or day after?

If he’s as good in short stints as he looked in his starts against Texas and Boston, Brandon could be the stake driven into the evil heart of the other team at crunch time. I’d like to find out.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Sep 7, 2005 -> 01:03 PM)
Actually, Contreras was pretty ineffective out of the pen for the Yankees in the playoffs.

Just looked it up. He was good 3 out of 4 times both against the Red Sox and Marlins. So 6 outings with no runs, 1 with 3 Vs Boston and 1 with 4 Vs Florida.

He's inconsistant, its not any different than he does as a starter. On a good night he's lights out, on a bad --get him out of there!

Garson (Chicago, IL): What, if any, impact do you see Brandon McCarthy having down the strecth and in the playoffs?

Robby (Chicago): What would do with the White Sox pitching staff at this point after the two huge starts they got out of the rookie McCarthy? Would you switch to a 6-man rotation and give the staff an extra day of rest on route to the playoffs or would you make him a relief pitcher?

SportsNation Jim Callis: (2:25 PM ET ) I would go to a six-man staff for a couple of weeks and include him in the playoff rotation. He's so deceptive that he misses more bats than anyone else in that rotation, which depends heavily on a good defense behind them.

I think Contreras should be our 4th guy in my opinion. And I would favor not having McCarthy on the playoff roster just because I think the other guys we have had worked pretty well most of the year. But if Hermanson can't go, then sure, let's see what McCarthy can do. Jenks, Cotts, Marte, Politte, Vizciano all deserve to be on the post season roster.

Edited by WilliamTell

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ Sep 7, 2005 -> 01:51 PM)
I think Contreras should be our 4th guy in my opinion. And I would favor not having McCarthy on the playoff roster just because I think the other guys we have had worked pretty well most of the year. But if Hermanson can't go, then sure, let's see what McCarthy can do. Jenks, Cotts, Marte, Politte, Vizciano all deserve to be on the post season roster.

Viz, not so much. I'm 1000X more comfortable seeing BMac than Viz. Which sounds insane.

QUOTE(SpringfieldFan @ Sep 7, 2005 -> 01:58 PM)
Sure, try Brandon as a reliever, but...

Just promise me that if he is dominent in the pen that he won't be considered "too valuable" a reliever to be used as a starter again (i.e. the "Cotts" theorem).

SFF

That is 1 promise I can give to you 110%.

I want this kid throwing 7 innings every 5th game starting next year. The last 2 games have at least sold me on that...especially if he works on adding in another pitch in the offseason.

I still don't think Cotts has the pitches to be a dominant starter, but he has the pitches to be a dominant reliever. And on top of that...he's a lefty...and lefty relievers that can get people out are a hell of a prize in this game today.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 7, 2005 -> 02:27 PM)
I want this kid throwing 7 innings every 5th game starting next year.  The last 2 games have at least sold me on that...especially if he works on adding in another pitch in the offseason.

I think he's already shown it's not absolutly necessary to add another pitch.

QUOTE(CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Sep 7, 2005 -> 02:56 PM)
I think he's already shown it's not absolutly necessary to add another pitch.

Not absolutely necessary...but could it really hurt? Just to have 1 more pitch in his back pocket that he throws like 2 or 3 times per game just to throw people completely off? A slider or a cutter?

I think that'd just be the icing on the cake.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 7, 2005 -> 05:09 PM)
Not absolutely necessary...but could it really hurt?  Just to have 1 more pitch in his back pocket that he throws like 2 or 3 times per game just to throw people completely off?  A slider or a cutter?

I think that'd just be the icing on the cake.

I bet money they try to add a cutter in the offseason. Its the Sox MO.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Sep 7, 2005 -> 04:36 PM)
I bet money they try to add a cutter in the offseason.  Its the Sox MO.

I think we were actually talking about this in a thread about a month ago when Brandon finally started getting his act together at AAA...they were talking about how there were plans to work on a new pitch with him in the offseason, but if my memory serves it actually wasn't a cutter, which was surprising to me because as you say it is their MO.

Even if it were I wouldn't complain...it worked pretty well for Loaiza when he found one.

QUOTE(Colorado Sox Fan @ Sep 7, 2005 -> 04:50 PM)
Give him a start this weekend.

Ok, so here's the question...do you want to go with the 6 man rotation, give BMac the starts, and potentially cost Mark/Jon 1 start a piece and a win that could make the difference in the Cy Young race, or do you go with the 5 man rotation and try to give those 2 the best shot you can?

Personally...I plan for the playoffs at all costs, and go with the 6 man as long as Brandon can take it.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 7, 2005 -> 06:54 PM)
Ok, so here's the question...do you want to go with the 6 man rotation, give BMac the starts, and potentially cost Mark/Jon 1 start a piece and a win that could make the difference in the Cy Young race, or do you go with the 5 man rotation and try to give those 2 the best shot you can?

Personally...I plan for the playoffs at all costs, and go with the 6 man as long as Brandon can take it.

Personal rewards mean nothing to me. Getting the rotation rested and set for the playoffs, and seeing if Brandon should be in the 2006 rotation mean way more than a Cy Young, as they should to this team. The thing that has gotten this team as far as it has, is the total lack of ego on the playing field. Hitters are willing to give up ABs to move runners over, pitchers are willing to do whatever Ozzie asks them etc. This team isn't talented enough to win as individuals, and if the pitchers are worried about CY awards, they aren't going to win in the playoffs anyway.