Yea Aaron!!!

Steff

AARON ROWAND NAMED WHITE SOX RECIPIENT

OF THE 2005 ROBERTO CLEMENTE AWARD

CHICAGO – Aaron Rowand is the White Sox recipient and one of 30 MLB nominees for the 2005 Roberto Clemente Award, which honors the memory of Roberto Clemente and is given annually to the Major League Baseball player who combines outstanding skills on the baseball field with devoted work in the community.

"Aaron Rowand is the kind of man you imagine a baseball player to be," said Christine O’Reilly, White Sox senior director of community relations. "He plays with his heart every time he takes the field, and he embraces our fans and our outreach initiatives with the infectious enthusiasm of a class president. He deserves every ounce of success he has achieved, and his outstanding efforts on and off the field only lend further credibility to his role as a treasured member of the White Sox family."

Aaron’s infectious attitude and hard-working nature have made him a favorite among his teammates and fans. Aaron is heavily involved in the White Sox Training Academy, the club’s youth baseball and softball facility, and lends his support to annual White Sox Charities fundraising events, including Picnic in the Park and the Field of Greens Golf Outing. In 2004, Aaron and his wife Marianne volunteered at a Food Drive benefiting the Greater Chicago Food Depository and he participated in White Sox Day at Taste of Chicago. This year, Aaron has again become one of the club’s most reliable community ambassadors, participating in a baby blanket donation program at a local hospital, attending the kickoff of the Training Academy summer camps and taping a PSA for Kindervision.

In addition, this year he has lent his support to a partnership between the White Sox and the Boys and Girls Clubs, where he works with Scott Podsednik and Jermaine Dye to support the Keystone and Torch Clubs, which focus on developing character, leadership and life skills in 11- to 18-year olds. The trio visited with club members, signed autographs and treated 250 kids to a White Sox game.

As part of the League-wide celebration, the Roberto Clemente Day logo will appear on the bases, on commemorative home plates and on the official dugout lineup cards. Also, in response to the devastation caused by Hurricane Katrina, the White Sox, along with other Clubs playing at home today, will host an in-stadium collection drive to give fans an opportunity to donate to the Red Cross relief effort. Major League Baseball will match the contributions up to $1 million. Major League Baseball believes it is fitting to devote Roberto Clemente Day to the relief effort, because Clemente, a Hall of Famer and one of the game’s greatest players, gave his life while on a mission to help earthquake victims in Nicaragua in 1972.

One local recipient of the Roberto Clemente Award was selected from each club, and John Hancock Financial Services will donate $2,500 in each of their names to the charity of his choice. Rowand’s donation will benefit the American Red Cross. A panel of dignitaries, including Vera Clemente, wife of the late Hall of Famer, and Baseball Commissioner Bud Selig, will select the national winner from the 30 local award recipients.

The national winner of the Roberto Clemente Award will be announced at a press conference prior to Game Three of the 2005 World Series and will receive a $25,000 donation from John Hancock to the charity of his choice. John Hancock also will make a $30,000 contribution to Roberto Clemente Sports City in Puerto Rico in the name of the national winner.

:cheers

QUOTE(Steff @ Sep 7, 2005 -> 02:44 PM)
The national winner of the Roberto Clemente Award will be announced at a press conference prior to Game Three of the 2005 World Series and will receive a $25,000 donation from John Hancock to the charity of his choice. John Hancock also will make a $30,000 contribution to Roberto Clemente Sports City in Puerto Rico in the name of the national winner.

With any luck...Aaron will be there anyway, so the MLB won't have to spend any extra to fly the guy in for game 3.

:cheers

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Sep 7, 2005 -> 06:24 PM)
I highly doubt it.

Says the one with the sig :P

I dont think its out of the question, I mean, who else has been as good as he in CF this year? And the series against the NYY really put him on the board with people.

QUOTE(Felix @ Sep 7, 2005 -> 04:30 PM)
Says the one with the sig :P

I dont think its out of the question, I mean, who else has been as good as he in CF this year?  And the series against the NYY really put him on the board with people.

That is the key question...if Hunter played a full year he wouldn't have a shot, but aside from Ichiro, who else in the AL has played an incredible outfield all year?

I just don't think Rowand is popular enough to win one yet. Vernon Wells and Ichiro will likely win GGs this year, I just don't see Rowand getting the necessary National Attention, even with his unbelievable Yankee series. The 3rd GG could go to Kotsay, who sadly, is more nationally well known than Row.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Sep 7, 2005 -> 04:35 PM)
I just don't think Rowand is popular enough to win one yet. Vernon Wells and Ichiro will likely win GGs this year, I just don't see Rowand getting the necessary National Attention, even with his unbelievable Yankee series. The 3rd GG could go to Kotsay, who sadly, is more nationally well known than Row.

When does the voting happen in relation to the playoffs? (Seriously...even if guys aren't supposed to vote based on the playoffs, ARow out there playing vacuum cleaner in CF for a few games is probably enough to put him in people's minds)

QUOTE(Felix @ Sep 7, 2005 -> 06:35 PM)
I'm willing to bet that you will be surprised when they are announced.

It's called not getting your hopes up. I'm hoping he can get his just due but if I start thinking it's a possibility I'll probably be dissapointed when the GGs are announced.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 7, 2005 -> 06:37 PM)
When does the voting happen in relation to the playoffs?  (Seriously...even if guys aren't supposed to vote based on the playoffs, ARow out there playing vacuum cleaner in CF for a few games is probably enough to put him in people's minds)

Am I the only one that sees Rowand as a possible god in the postseason. I just see him stepping up and playing out of his mind in the playoffs, with his bat, glove and baserunning. He's our most clutch player right now (great RISP #s) and I just see him as being a big game player, hell he's hit 3 of his 12 HRs against the Red Sox this season.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Sep 7, 2005 -> 04:40 PM)
Am I the only one that sees Rowand as a possible god in the postseason. I just see him stepping up and playing out of his mind in the playoffs, with his bat, glove and baserunning. He's our most clutch player right now (great RISP #s) and I just see him as being a big game player, hell he's hit 3 of his 12 HRs against the Red Sox this season.

If Mark Lemke can turn himself into a postseason God...anyone can do it.

I have no idea who will turn out to be the hero for this team...I just want there to be a few.