Attendance crap

southsideirish71

Have fun with this...

Oddly when they had packed houses in August and crapped out night after night they weren't offering refunds.

People have come out to the park this year in droves. I think its not cool to call the fans out in the paper after people not showing up to see us sweep the worst team in baseball.

"We know all the bad factors—Kansas City, Tuesday night, school's started, football season—but we're also in first place and they tell you in April that if you win, they will show up," Paul Konerko said.

"It's a little bit frustrating. When we have a big crowd it helps, whether [fans] realize it or not. When you go to Fenway Park, New York, even Seattle, which is out of [the race] and they had a big crowd. … We just hope that coming down the stretch against Anaheim and Cleveland, there are big crowds because it helps us win."

"I ain't got no comment on that," pitcher Mark Buehrle said. "I was going to, but I have to keep my mouth shut so I don't get in trouble.

"I heard some people say it was [because of] the day after Labor Day, Kansas City being in town, a Tuesday, lots of points like that. But we're playing good. I was surprised. There are other words I could say, but I have to watch myself. I've said enough this year."

"It's an empty feeling to me, like, what do we have to do to bring people to the ballpark?" Guillen said. "I think the players have earned to be watched."
Edited by southsideirish71

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Sep 7, 2005 -> 10:35 PM)
*Sigh*  7 game winning streak, highest mark we've been over .500 this year, best record in baseball again and all this crap starts again.

The stupid thing about this is we are going to break an attendance record this year. The place has been packed night in and night out. Yet in one series against the worst team in baseball after Labor day the trib decides to jump on this, and our players instead of making nothing out of it, lend quotes that will be featured on the radio and ESPN like crazy.

Its one freakin series. They will have plenty of people watching the angel series this weekend.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Sep 7, 2005 -> 11:38 PM)
The stupid thing about this is we are going to break an attendance record this year.  The place has been packed night in and night out.  Yet in one series against the worst team in baseball after Labor day the trib decides to jump on this, and our players instead of making nothing out of it, lend quotes that will be featured on the radio and ESPN like crazy. 

Its one freakin series.  They will have plenty of people watching the angel series this weekend.

Yeah, I thought I remembered hearing about the Sox breaking the attendence record this year. The fans have came now, probably not as much as the Sox would have like to seen, but it's getting better.

They'll have less to complain about after tomorrows game--which I'll guarantee is above 25,000. Remaining home games after KC are against LAA (3), CLE (3), MIN (4). All of these will be heavily attended, especially with the division winding up sometime during the 7 game homestand.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

We all know what Mariotti will be writing about tomorrow.

But honestly, who is going to pay full price to go see the Sox play the Royals when we all know in one month the will be playing the Yankees, or Red Sox, or Angels in games that actually mean something.

If the Sox were actually in a tight race you would see people out at the park against the Royals, but this race has been over for a full month already. People have already scheduled "dental appointments" for October 4th &5th so they can skip work to watch this team. When the Twins and Indians come to town in a couple weeks you'll see people back at the park, because the Sox should be clinching around that time.

I'm not going to any more regular season games this year. Does that make me less of a Sox fan? f*** no. I didn't go to any in April either, does that mean I'm a bandwagoner? f*** no. I went to all of my games from May 10th to August 17th. I'll be there on the October 5th.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 7, 2005 -> 10:40 PM)
Guys...I promise...I have no money right now...if you make the playoffs and there are tickets available...I will fly back to Chicago and suck some up.

When I was home April-August I went to a s***load of games but like kalapse I'm a freshman in college now and where I go I can't make any games right now. Once the playoffs hit I'm going back home to see games, I'm going to miss classes to watch the sox. Most everyone here wants to go to as many games as possible but there are many reasons people have a hard time getting to games(gas prices, distances, etc).

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 7, 2005 -> 11:42 PM)
I wish Dusty....sorry, I meant Ozzie....and the rest of the team would shut up and play the game on the field.

At least we know we won't be hearing from Willie talking about how he doesn't like what Hawk is saying about him on the broadcasts.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Sep 7, 2005 -> 09:41 PM)
I'd go more often but I am a freshman in college and have no money at all.

I'm a grad student and 2000 miles away and therefore have no money at all.

I have my dad working on Playoff tickets for me (I'll cash in some credit card points for the plane fare).

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Sep 7, 2005 -> 08:35 PM)
*Sigh*  7 game winning streak, highest mark we've been over .500 this year, best record in baseball again and all this crap starts again.

Actually, I don't mind it, the Sox seem to strive when this stuff is being talked about. Its almost like controversy about something other than their play gets a monkey off their back and lets them roll.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Sep 7, 2005 -> 10:42 PM)
We all know what Mariotti will be writing about tomorrow.

But honestly, who is going to pay full price to go see the Sox play the Royals when we all know in one month the will be playing the Yankees, or Red Sox, or Angels in games that actually mean something.

If the Sox were actually in a tight race you would see people out at the park against the Royals, but this race has been over for a full month already. People have already scheduled "dental appointments" for October 4th &5th so they can skip work to watch this team. When the Twins and Indians come to town in a couple weeks you'll see people back at the park, because the Sox should be clinching around that time.

I'm not going to any more regular season games this year. Does that make me less of a Sox fan? f*** no. I didn't go to any in April either, does that mean I'm a bandwagoner? f*** no. I went to all of my games from May 10th to August 17th. I'll be there on the October 5th.

That's the thing, right now if these games meant something I'd go back home in a second to watch them play but I can't just miss class everyday to attend games, therefore like you said I'll be there once the playoffs start.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Sep 8, 2005 -> 04:44 AM)
At least we know we won't be hearing from Willie talking about how he doesn't like what Hawk is saying about him on the broadcasts.

Lol... how can you not love being called what is it pea pod or something like that :P..... Anyways they were probably asked about it and gave their answers I dont really care that much. It wont be great during the weekday but im confident vs the Angels it will be some big crowds.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Sep 7, 2005 -> 10:46 PM)
That's the thing, right now if these games meant something I'd go back home in a second to watch them play but I can't just miss class everyday to attend games, therefore like you said I'll be there once the playoffs start.

I have went to over 20 games this year + ST. I can't afford to fork over the dough for anymore games outside of the hope of playoff tickets. Oddly my mortgage company doesnt really care about how Paul Konerko feels about playing in front of a packed crowd, they expect their money.